Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I totally agree with you that SD is not the only factor in penetration, but it is definitely applicable. And the SD is simply the weight divided by the caliber, so frontal diameter isn't really even taken into account. That would be more of a surface area to weight calculation, and is definitely important, as you stated.

Sectional Density of a 30 cal. 180 grain bullet is .271.
If you take 180 and divied by .308 the answer is 584.4 is you divied 180 by 308 the answer is .5844.. No where close to the acctual Sectional Density of .271

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
We're talking about penetration in game animals here, so density is not applicable, sectional density is.

Doesn't matter what the material is, 180 gr is 180 gr. The bullet with greater BC is going to arrive with more energy.

Well, if the marshmallow was hard enough to actually get inside the animal, if the marshmallow was the same caliber as the partition (albeit significantly longer), if the expansion was controlled like a partition, and if the marshmallow could retain it's shape like a partition, then yes.

See, now you've got people convinced that partitions are no better than shooting marshmallows. This is getting a little too abstract for me laugh

I shouldn't say that density is completely negligible, which is obvious by your absurd example of the marshmallow, but as long as the density of the projectile is sufficient that it can achieve all of the objectives I mentioned at the top of this post, then past that, it is insignificant.

Huh? You just said density doesn't matter, but sectional density does. Okay, well since that is the case, even the much lower density marshmallow - strike that "absurd" example; let's use nylon instead- will still get the job done; it has so much more length to sacrifice before it quits. And, more importantly, since it has a much, much higher BC than lead, it will retain much more speed out at 500 yards than will the lead bullet.

And yes, in addition to density, hardness is another factor that matters, (but, just as with lead hitting steel, it isn't necessarily what we think it will be). While some may strive to apply numbers to what they see to make sense of it, using numbers to prove something that has not been seen can't always tell us what will happen.

I like to understand what I have seen. That doesn't, however, mean that one can use numbers to prove that something didn't actually happen. Two bullets went into a moose at a distance later measured to be 495 meters per the GPS. Neither came out and I recovered the one which I pictured eariler. Both were Barnes X bullets started at around 2900 fps at sea level. (I wasn't actually shooting over a chronograph when I shot the animal, but other ammo from the same batch had previously been measured.) The shots were fired at sea level. The temperature was in the 50s F. If those numbers help you crunch numbers to explain the "why," great.

The Barnes X bullet has always had a superior shape, with its hard pointed tip, over other (lead tipped) bullets. Just as I am not convinced that a polymer bullet would be superior in any way to a metal bullet, so too the plastic tipped TTSX adds nothing worthwhile to the bullet that it did not already have - except that it was added to make it open better, especially at lower speeds and longer distances. I do believe it it was designed to improve on problems the plain bullets sometimes have. I further think the MRX is evidence of that unspoken "need." And Barnes, who should know better where density is concerned, actually went better than lead (and the Winchester/Nosler FailSafe) by using an even denser tungsten matrix. Go figure.

BTW, back to the metal "splashes," rocks also do that when they are dropped into mud. Never seen any steam either (nor has burnt, or even cooked, meat been a problem in any game I have shot even when the bullet has completely come undone.) Heat is surely there in the energy transformation. It just isn't as much as some may think nor the only thing.

I never said that density doesn't matter, as it certainly does, as well as hardness. In this case, however, the density of copper and that of lead are both so much higher than the density of deer flesh, that in this case, worrying about the difference in density between copper and lead is a moot point.

Numbers (B.C) are derived from real experimental data, not just fictional or theoretical whims. That is what makes them useful and accurate. Of course, the variables change in different situations with different rifles and climatic conditions. That is why the BC of a bullet is different in your rifles where you live, than it is in my rifle where I live.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by cliff444
A-36 (mild Steel plate) one inch thick

[Linked Image]

AR-500 Steel Plate one half inch thick

[Linked Image]

Both plates were shot with the same rifle and load (bullet) and both plates can be cut and or melted with a torch, both melt about the same temp.. It would take a short time to melt through 1/2" thick plate VS 1" thick plate

I guess the bullets forgot to melt through the AR-500 plate.

Depleted Urainium projectiles will and does melt through heavy tank armor, but regular bullets NO...
I am assuming .308 caliber bullet. Please explain to me how the craters got to be .5 inches across and the steel got raised above the surface of the plate without some kind of liquid action? The projectile does not necessarily have to get all the way through if there is not enough heat generated to accomplish this. Would a depleted uranium round bounce off or just partially melt an extra thick armor plate?

Again both Plates the AR-500 and the A-36 steel plates melt at the same temp. The only difference is that one plate is signifcantly harder than the other.
Take a center punch place it on the A-36 plate and hit it with a hammer (hard) the results will be a hole with displaced metal above the hole.. Take the same punch and place it on the AR-500 plate and hit it (hard) the plate will dull the punch with little to no indention the same as when a bullet hits it....
Inorder for a bullet to melt through a steel plate instantly the temp would certainly have to exceed 2000 degrees instantly and this certainly does not happen. If it did happen you could not touch the plate after shooting as the plate would be to hot and is certainly not the case

This hammer and punch analogy is exactly what I was describing when I said that the bullet "pushes the steel" to the perimeter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DDP
Frontal Diameter is the caliber... and, as the bullet expands this measurement increases. Also important to penetration is the lenght of the bullet after expansion. The longer the remaining shank is... the straighter (and ultimately deeper) the penetration is.

Agreed. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I totally agree with you that SD is not the only factor in penetration, but it is definitely applicable. And the SD is simply the weight divided by the caliber, so frontal diameter isn't really even taken into account. That would be more of a surface area to weight calculation, and is definitely important, as you stated.

Sectional Density of a 30 cal. 180 grain bullet is .271.
If you take 180 and divied by .308 the answer is 584.4 is you divied 180 by 308 the answer is .5844.. No where close to the acctual Sectional Density of .271

Let me rephrase that comment:
The sectional density is a value which expresses the relationship between the mass of a bullet and the caliber of said bullet. This is NOT a direct constant derived by doing a simple division. There are other constants involved. Sorry for being unclear, my mistake.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you have not quibbled with the idea that a polymer (or marshmallow) projectile would have a superior ballistic coefficient, therefore would retain more speed at long distance, I would assume that is correct, at least according to your simple definition of ballistics. No?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith [/quote

This hammer and punch analogy is exactly what I was describing when I said that the bullet "pushes the steel" to the perimeter.

Which has nothing to do with melting....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Correct. Greater aerodynamics and greater momentum contribute to a higher BC. So yes, such a projectile would arrive with greater retained energy and velocity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see. Now we're getting somewhere.

Let me point out before you go any further, that "real world" trumps the books every time. And, BTW, even ballistics models are much more complex than only simple formulas. Ballistic Coefficient includes other important factors such as "drag." Denser materials don't suffer as much. Plastics will never be able to retain speed like the much heavier (and denser, not to mention harder) metals. Their simple, formula derived BCs notwithstanding.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
well clirr what ever i see that you have been lined out by several others on your heat idea yes there is a lot of heat made by bullets when fired but not near that much if that were true to instantly melt thourgh metal plate it would mealt a gun barrel in just a very few shots i may have been a little rude on my last post sorry but MY YOUNG SELF FIRED OVER 100,000 CERTIFIED COMPITITVY ROUNS AT STEEL TARGETS AND HELP DEVELOPED LOAD DATA FOR 3 MAJOR BULLET MANUFACTURES NAD NOW TEACHING GRANDCHILDERN IF MINE TO SHOOT YOU MITE WANT TO KEEP IT SHUT TILL YOU LEARN THE FACTS

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Klik,
I agree that ballistics models are complicated, and human beings probably don't understand them in their entirety.

However, when dealing with a hard material like copper, lead, or even a synthetic polymer, density has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

Aluminum is not very dense. If your theory were true, they would surely use something else to build jet planes, tungsten perhaps.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Put it do have something to do with killing stuff, otherwise battleships would be shooting 16" marshmallows.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, back with the marshmallows again?!

haha

Penetrating 12" of steel on the side of a battle ship is different than penetrating the hide and flesh of a deer. If we needed that kind of density in a bullet, we would use armor piercing rounds with depleted uranium on the average whitetail.

What are broadheads made out of? Steel? Aluminum?

They penetrate deer quite well don't you think?

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 04/07/08. Reason: Added to the battleship analogy
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes....[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here is a picture of the Aluminum tipped Wildcat bullet comparied to a 300 grain SMK both are 338 cal and the Wildcat wieghs I believe 311 grains, but has a significantly higher BC

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Klik,
I agree that ballistics models are complicated, and human beings probably don't understand them in their entirety.

However, when dealing with a hard material like copper, lead, or even a synthetic polymer, density has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas, but that simply is not true. We could resort to the old tradition of dueling to find out. For simplicity and civility, let's keep it hypothetical. We can use two rifles. To make it simple, they'll both be the same caliber. One will shoot jacketed lead projectiles; the other nylon projectiles of the same weight. We will shoot from 500 yards. The guns will have to be chambered for different cartridges to allow for the greater length of the plastic projectile. Both must be loaded to the same velocity - let's say 2700 fps. I'll let you choose your bullet/rifle combo first, but I already know I'm going to end up with the traditional jacketed version. Best of luck. Who are the next of kin to whom I should send flowers?

Aluminum is not very dense. If your theory were true, they would surely use something else to build jet planes, tungsten perhaps.

Faulty anology. Planes fly. They are self propelled. In spite of their very great weight, jets do not reach maximum speed until they are well clear of the ground. Unpowered planes fall from the sky no less gracefully when they lose the speed needed for flight, than do bullets. Bullets are launched and slow the moment they leave the barrel, relying only on momentum.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What makes you believe that the long extreme high BC bullet of nylon(or what ever) would not retain enough velocity at 500 yards to finnish off the intended target. After all your analogy has them both wieghing the same..

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd rather get hit with a 180gr water ballon doing 2000fps than I would a 180gr Barnes TSX doing the same speed. YMMV.

Last edited by Steelhead; 04/07/08. Reason: 'd

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It rather get hit with a 180gr water ballon doing 2000fps than I would a 180gr Barnes TSX doing the same speed. YMMV.

You know it! grin
HD

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not sure where you get your ideas

Well, I get my ideas from the several classes I've taken in university. Physics was my major...

Faulty anology. Planes fly. They are self propelled. In spite of their very great weight, jets do not reach maximum speed until they are well clear of the ground. Unpowered planes fall from the sky no less gracefully when they lose the speed needed for flight, than do bullets. Bullets are launched and slow the moment they leave the barrel, relying only on momentum.

The point here is that if density made such a huge difference to aerodynamics, every major airline would use a different material when building the aircrafts to save money wasted in fueling a high drag, non-efficient plane.
As long as the density of the projectile is greater than that of the medium being penetrated, then higher density is simply overkill.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,645
Posts18,512,528
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.