Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was reading the article,"RETURN OF THE KING" by Dick Metcalf in the May/June Rifleshooter magazine,and the article was well written, providing some good info on the new rifle.The pictures presented a nice looking rifle,and the article was favorable.A couple of statements bugged me.

The first was the above quote, which I found sort of silly ,especially in light of his later statements wherein he says,"........I've never before been interested in the Winchester M70 all that much because, as legendary firearms authority Col. Townsend Whelan famously put it,"Only accurate rifles are interesting"....."

He then goes on to describe how he chose a Remington over a winchester because the finish and trigger were better,and subsequent M70's he tried never shot that well, etc apparently because QC was lacking.

So, based on a lack of extensive experience with the rifles either at the range or in the game fields,Metcalf trashes a trigger design that's been proven field worthy and reliable for 71 years,and that we've been waiting with bated breath for this miraculous new design(which MAY prove to be very good; we'll see in 71 years.)

I was also surprised to hear that the model 70 has not cut it from the accuracy standpoint,which sort of surprised me....

This sort of stuff is the reason I cannot take much gunwriter evaluation articles very seriously at all.......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
maybe we oughta invite him to post here.

lack of experience with something is nor a precursor to offering "the" definitive opinion of such at the campfire! (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They don't seem to be fooling you Bob.

"Keep the wheat and throw the chafe away".

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AK/Savage: laugh laugh

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bob,

I read Metcalf's article on triggers in Shooting Times while I was waiting for my car that was in scheduled maintenance yesterday.
I like the design of the new Browning and Winchester triggers, both designed by the same design team and they are three lever designs. They should be as good as the Savage AccuTriggers, maybe better.

Last edited by DMB; 03/28/08.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hmmm... Wasnt Whelen one of the first biggest proponents of the M70? Glad I already have all the rifles I need.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All the rifles you need, maybe. How many do you want?
As for triggers, my M70s are just fine, thank you.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am always puzzled when somebody suggests the Model 70's of any era won't shoot. I have owned a pile of them made anywhere from the late 1940's onward, and while there is always some variation in factory rifles, I have owned 70's from every period that would shoot EXTREMELY well.

One I have in my safe right now is a pre-'64 .30-06 that, with all the screws tightened down (including the barrel screw), will shoot cloverleaves at 100 yards with most ammo, factory or handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It sounds like Metcalf's got a whole lot more to learn about the Model 70 than he has to teach.......

AD

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MD: Been my experience exactly. Actually,sometimes removing the screw works well,too.

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don: I seriously doubt that FN would release a bad trigger on the public in this litigious age. In all probability the design team objective was a safer trigger as well. I don't know.Is it more durable, and able to withstand rough use? Only time in the field and millions of rounds will tell.

What cracked me up was the audacity of the statement, (that we've all been waiting for the change),and the inference that the rifle and its' design was sort of half-baked and inferior until now.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This is from a fellow who did an article on handgun rounds we should drop. I don't recall all of the cartridges, but he dismissed the 45 Colt (and tried to justify it).

I'm waiting to hear John Browning was a poor designer.

Perhaps I am thin skinned and he is just doing his job, but I take his work half-hearted.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Every change that has been introduced to the Model 70 over the last 45 years has been introduced under the guise that the change in question has actually been an "improvement".

In some cases, those changes HAVE been improvements, but many of them have been instigated simply to reduce manufacturing costs, reduce the necessity of labor-intensive hand-fitting, and to decrease the odds of product liability litigation.

In every case, a gunwriter has been recruited to herald and embrace the changes. In some cases, those writers have been knowlegable and sincere, and in other cases they have had only superficial experience with the Model 70, and they've served as little more than PR men.

It all follows a familiar pattern, and the new Model 70 trigger and the latest published comments about the Model 70 in general follow well-trodden, familiar trail.....

AD

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've always liked the M70's over the Remingtons even though I've owned and still own more Remingtons than Winchesters.
Winchesters won't shoot ? That's funny. My factory Winchester Fwt. .308 has shot the smallest group I've ever shot. Better than either of my Pac-Nor barreled custom rifles. Even the infamous Barsnes X, in the old XLC form, shot well under MOA for me.
I've always appreciated the M70 safety and the much easier to keep clean trigger over the Remingtons. My custom 660 Remington has a custom M70 safety. BTW, the trigger on my M70 Fwt. is a creep free, 2.5 lbs. It doesn't get any better than that as far as I'm concerned. While the fancy Savage trigger is nice, it isn't in the same company. E

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Of all the rifles I own, one of the very best triggers is on a transition period pre'64 M70 action.
Take a look at one sometime- it's just elegant simplicity.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolah heck Bob, I opened this thinking that they had actually put Jewells in them..... shocked

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Winchester Fwt. .308 - Possibly my most beloved!

Got to get this resolved someday, before tragedy strikes: Housefire: My Fwt. .308 or the woman. Boy, life throws hard decisions in your way, grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never had a M70, either pre or post 64 with a bad trigger.......some required a little tweaking but all were good in the end.

And I've had more than a few............

MM

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MM/Eremicus:...I thought there was something wrong with me crazy.....I sure have not been sitting around waiting 30+ years for a better M70 trigger. Judging from responses, I am not alone.........

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Methinks that Dick Metcalfe is, as J'OC once put it,...toiling in the lower bowel of the gunwriting industry... I have learned to expect this sort of BS from most gunwriters and seldom even pickup "Rifleshooter" when shopping at the supermarket where I buy my groceries and "Rifle" and "Handloader" which are the only mags. worth purchasing.

All in all, who gives a rat's patoot WHAT Dick Metcalfe thinks, anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,441
Posts18,507,734
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.