-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've got an old single shot Winchester, but the stock and barrel are simply too long for my children to shoot. I'd like to pick up something that I could use to teach them gun safety and shooting basics - plus it's just fun to shoot and I want to have a gun they can enjoy shooting with me.

I took a look at the Cricket .22 and a Winchester .22 that has a smaller stock and barrel. Price wise they are within about $20 of each other, so that's a wash. One has a peep site, the other your basic buckhorn open sights. One sets the trigger upon closing the bolt and the other has a knob you have to pull before firing.

Anyone have either of these little guns and have any insight as to what are the pros and cons for each? I like that they are single shots, but worry that the knob spring may be too stiff for a child to pull themselves (which may be good and may be bad).

I'd love some feedback.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage / Stevens model 15, 120 single shot bolt action fits ther younger's and can find them for about $75 to 125 at pawn shops

accuracy and efficiency --
not to mention having the best, most durable and advanced rifle possible."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Savage/Stevens favorite for my grandson.
I had the stock cut down 1" and added a rubber butt pad so it can be leaned in a corner without falling down. Then added a Leupold 2.5 shotgun scope, parallex corrected for 75 yds.
I don't think this combo weighs much more than 4 lbs.
To my way of thinking this falling block action with exposed hammer is a verry safe rifle for a young shooter. Besides "Gramps" likes packing it also!
Virgil B.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the CZ youth rifle. They have a single shot adapter you can replace with a magazine. I'd order a magazine with the rifle as I feel a single shot is unnecesary for training youth with a boltgun. Mine is so accurate I use it all the time shooting little tweety birds at over 100 yards. Unbelievable gun. Should be able to pick one up in the $150-170- range. Money well spent. I could'nt find one locally so got one over the internet from the CZ connection in Georgia via gunbroker, auction arms, I forget which one.
IMHO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just have to second the "Favorite". They are great first guns, and heck I still shoot em.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My kids and grandkids all learned to shoot with my old Savage M/1905 single-shot. It was originally my grandfathers and it has seen lots of first-time users (maybe 6 generations). Simple and safe, and you can usually find them cheap.

Regards, Jack
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bought a HR(NEF) 22/410 two barrel set.For a single shot, I like the break open action. It is easier to track whether the gun is loaded or not. The action is well made, but the stock leaves a lot to be desired. For $180.00 it is a good buy. I wish the 410 barrel had a rib.This is a good combo for a kid.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weighed the "favorite" It came in at 4 lbs, 12 oz. with scope & mount. Good weight for packing all day...
Virgil B.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll second the Savage/Stevens 15/120. They're cheap, still available, and will not cock with the bolt throw. What's more, when your little ones grow up, they will still be shooting them--the chipmonks and crickets will get lost in the closet. Steve

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
CZ Scout. Picked one up for my granddaughter at a gun show for $139. You can get Brookie's spring kit for $9 and get a really nice trigger pull. Only problem I see with the Scout is that the butt stock and pistol grip may be a bit clunky for some youngsters. I taught my boys to shoot with a Favorite. Had to sell it when I was a starving student.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 470Evans, 17 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,979
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.