Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shrike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What have you used with successs as a wad between a very soft cast plainbase bullet and the powder?.
I am shooting 40:1 alloy 480 grainer for hunting over SMOKELESS in a 45-70 Shilo.
I am looking for something that is guaranteed safe meaning something that will not cause a bulged chamber, something that can be done consistently the same from load to load.
Please give some suggestions,
Thank you guys.
Shrike

Last edited by shrike; 04/10/08.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a upside down gas check has been used many times placed in the case cup down and the plain base bullet seated over it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrike

If the wad is resting on the powder and the bullet resting on the wad there's little chance of barrel bulging.
What I've used in the past for 45-70 with light charges of smokeless was a square of Kleenex, toilet paper tamped down tight on the powder. The paper burns up long before exiting the barrel.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Why do you need the wad? I assume leading?

Dittos on the above except I use Dacron. Using small amounts of filler with an air space between powder and bullet is what I feel causes ringing (you might as well put a small bullet in the case).

Use enough to MILDLY compress between powder and bullet and weigh it like your powder. (this will give your repeatability and help accuracy).

Don't forget to work back up as adding filler/gas check is akin to using a longer bullet or adding powder and will increase pressures a tad.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Try melting a bit of bullet lube and pour it out onto something smooth and flat so you get a sheet of lube about 1/16in. thick. Peel it off and press it over the case mouth (like an upside down cookie cutter) before seating the bullet. It'll stay snugged up against the base of the bullet when seated.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This works too. Wax checks are popular.

Beware of grease/alox lubes and anything that may contaminate your powder/primer.

A buddy has alox loads that phfffft on hot days! (misfire)

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by HawkI

Dittos on the above except I use Dacron.

I ringed the chamber on a pristine 03A3 using dacron as a case filler when shooting cast bullets and ball pistol powder in the 30-06.

The Cast Bullet Association has listed numerous accounts of ringed chambers from using filler and there's many theories on what causes it.

I don't know what causes it,.. but I found out the hard way that it definitely will happen under certain conditions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use reduced loads of rifle powder with the tuft of dacron. I do not use pistol powders in my rifles. Do you think I have a chance of a ringed chamber using reduced loads of rifle powder and the dacron?

Rolly
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
years ago I switched to AA5744. filler or wad isn't needed with this powder.with my cast bullets and AA5744 has turned some very good groups in my 45/70,38-55 and 375 win.
pete

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Last edited by txpete; 04/16/08.

NRA DAV
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I finally picked up some AA5744 for use in my Marlin 1895 Cowboy, but have yet to give it any testing.

But, I digress - I have only been shooting cast bullets in my BPCR rifles using black powder until I got my Marlin 1895. I was always under the impression (implied or not) that a wad was under the bullet to keep the base of the bullet from being distorted under the pressure and heat of the ignited propellant. That's basically what a gas check does, too. A wad, whether it be fiber, card stock, felt, LDPE or whatever, is - a gas check. I have never used fillers, so can't comment on their use. I use a wad whether I use BP or smokeless. I suppose you could NOT use a wad if you are using pretty hard cast bullets, but I think they have some demonstrated (most all BPCR shooters use them) value with soft cast bullets. Just my rambling, take it for what you paid for it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
I use reduced loads of rifle powder with the tuft of dacron. I do not use pistol powders in my rifles. Do you think I have a chance of a ringed chamber using reduced loads of rifle powder and the dacron?

Beat's me,... bit I ain't gonna use it again.

If I wanted to work up some reduced rifle loads, I'd give 4198 or 4759 a try and forget about fillers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (3333vl, 6mmbrfan, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 18 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,780
Posts18,536,045
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.