Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First off, this is a great board! I belong to several and know a good one when I see it.

I'm a Marlin fan and own several of their rifles: Davidson's 95 LTD in 45-70 (24" half round/half octagonal barrel), 94 Cowboy in 45 Colt, 336 in 35 Rem and 94CS in .357 Mag.

All of these rifles are well made and accurate. I enjoy shooting them all - almost exclusively with my handloads.

Here's a pic of the bunch:

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Beautiful rifles OSOK. These are my Marlins. These two rifles are what started me in this crazy circle of rifle loonie syndrome. These are the ones I both regret the most and wished I would have gotten.
[Linked Image]

I fell in love with the Marlin lever action rifle. In the gun shops there were racks full of much more powerful and longer range rifles, but these caught my eye. I read up on them and studied everything I could find on them. I knew I wanted one of these fancy rifles and to be honest, I wanted the .45/70 more than you could have imagined. But common sense prevailed, as .45/70 ammo was far more expensive and intimidating looking for a virgin shooter. I elected to purchase a Marlin Model 30AS in .30-30. I loved that rifle and taught myself everything about shooting. I had nobody to introduce me to the sport so I had to learn both the good with the bad. I carried this rifle up mountains, into camps, through gopher fields and fired hundreds upon hundreds of rounds at the local shooting range. I actually became quite a good shot with it too. But deep down I regreted not buying the more powerful and desirable 1895. I decided to purchase another rifle, an Interams MKX in .270 Winchester. Boy could that rifle shoot, and I quickly became spoiled. That was my first real rifle to wear a scope, and soon I learned even far off targets weren't safe. The last rifle I bought was another Marlin, a .22 Autoloader. Yeah I know. I'm the only guy in the world to get a centerfire before I got a .22 rifle. Someone has to be the odd one out. wink

These three rifles and the only shotgun I owned were, as I decided the only guns I would ever need to own. Well I started reading rifle magazines and watching hunting shows. I learned my guns were inadequete for any hunting I would ever do. I traded my .270 for a bigger rifle, then I traded that for a lighter rifle. It went on and on until one day, I decided I no longer needed that puney .30-30 and sold it. Not long after that I started really regreting that move. In fact, of all the rifles I've owned since the beginning, (And that's alot!) I only ever regretted selling 3, that was number 1! I kept buying and selling, trading and experimenting but never really got over that rifle. I found a nice pre-64 Winchester 94, but I never liked it. Then I found a 1964 vintage Marlin. It didn't feel right and they both left. Then not long ago, I decided to buy the one I wished I would have, and brought home the .45/70. But I still didn't have my old .30-30. Then just a couple weeks ago, I came across an ad for 1 for sale. I made an offer and took it home. It is virtually identical to my very first rifle, and this one will be staying with me for a very long time. cool

Save A Tree. Wipe Your Butt With A Liberal.
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good story smile

My first hunting rifle was a Marlin 336 30/30 too. The basic AS. I took my first deer with it in PA when I lived there. Dropped him just fine too.

It's long gone but as you can see, it made an impression on me too smile

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have the following. I'm at work so no pics to go with this.

336A - .35 Rem. w/ cut rifling.
336SC - .35 Rem. w/ cut rifling.
336SC - .35 Rem. Micro-Groove rifling.
336SC - .30-30. w/ cut rifling.
336CS - .30-30. w/ Micro-Groove rifling.
39A Golden Mountie - .22 Rimfire.

Thanks,
Bill

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bill, all of those cut rifled are early 50's or older right? These really have more character than the new ones IMHO. Nice collection!

I'd love to see some pics - add em after you get home smile

Here's a pic of the 336RC (35 Rem) that I just bought - won't see it for at least 7 weeks as it's on its way to be rechambered to 356 Win.:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by OSOK; 04/30/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll play ,bottom to top :
1936 32 win special
336 35 rem
1894 44 mag

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1936; 04/30/08. Reason: standing on head

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More nice ones! Thanks!

Only problem is that my neck gets sore standing on my head to look at that pic lol

Looks like you've got that 44 set up with a single point sling - ala' horse carbine. That what it's for?

Last edited by OSOK; 04/30/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pic fixed.
Yep , a saddle ring sling is what it's called. Works great for just regular woods walking , no need to find a tree to lean the rifle against if you need both hands to check map and compass , grab a snack , take a leak, ect ect.

Heres where I got mine : http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Last edited by 1936; 04/30/08.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's the 336RC I hunted with 2 seasons back. I couldn't find my black elecrtrical tape before I left the house, so I had to use Duct tape! grin
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you Sir! I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. I've been tied up most of my time with an ailing parent.

Thanks...Bill.

IC B3

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
1936 that's better! lol - funny how those slings are now back and considered the newest thing by the black rifle crowd.

Pharoah, I love pics of rifles in the snow - did you get a chance to blow a hole through that tape that season?

Bill - looking forward to it.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by OSOK

Pharoah, I love pics of rifles in the snow - did you get a chance to blow a hole through that tape that season?

Nope, I haven't shot much of anything these last few seasons. I more like to take my rifles out for a walk. I'll go a bit off topic, if you like snow pictures, this is my favorite. It's not a Marlin, but you'll get over it. laugh

[Linked Image]

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
sweet - is that a Hawkeye? I've got a couple of Ruger MkII's - one in 223 and one in 338. The 223 is an ultralight and is stock and the 338 is a stainless and now sports a B&C stock - thy zytel stock that came on it was so thin and hard I couldn't stand to shoot it with 250 grainers.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah that was a 77 Hawkeye I fooled around with early last Fall. Anyways sorry for getting off topic. Here's the last shot I have of the same RC sitting in the tree I just hopped out of cause my butt was sore! laugh

[Linked Image]

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Man I like the straight buttstock, and no white line spacers. I may have to remove those from my newest purchase when it arrives. I know its correct for the rifle's 1968 birthday but I really don't like em. I plan on doing a refinish on the stock - stain and oil as the wood looks pretty nice.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am down to two levers:

1958 336 SC in 35 Rem with original Lyman sight on it. Just don't have the heart to rid myself of it... One of my daughters (or both) may shoot their first elk with it.

[Linked Image]

For the daddy testosterone factor: Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70. Actually loaded with 13 grains Unique and a 405 grain Bullet Meister bullet, one of my daughters may shoot their first elk with it also.

[Linked Image]

I have moved several 30-30's (one went to a nephew for his first deer rifle) and an 1894 over the years just because I never used them. I actually have an old M80 22 lr that was my kids granddad's that of course is a legacy gun. Moved a 9mm Camp Carbine about 2 years ago that probably was a poor trade.

Last edited by supercrewd; 05/03/08.

NRA Life Member
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, you kept two nice ones! And gifting a boy a 30-30 to take deer hunting is a noble thing - good for you! Wish more guys would do that.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few. I prefer the early 336's made the first 4 years that have waffle pattern on the top of the receiver for antiglare. Here are some of the lever guns I have. I also have two new Marlins that don't have photos yet. A first year 336A in 30-30 and a new 336SC with deluxe wood. Ryan

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/cpl9838/IMG_0823A.jpg[/img]

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All's I can say is WOW.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] Good Lord Almighty!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

You sir are my hero!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you gents, been at it for awhile. No other hobbies but guns and books....Books are mostly about guns. wink Keep them coming I too like seeing the collections of all. Ryan

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have 4 now.
The oldest is a 1949 336 in 30-30
Second oldest is a 1957 straight stocked 336 in 35 Rem
Third is an 1894 in .44 Mag
The newest is a 336 Spikehorn in 30-30

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OSOK,

Here are four pictures of Marlins I own. One is a newer one and I couldn't get to two in the back of the vault.

Thanks...Bill

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More nice uns!

That second one has a longer barrel?

The top three all look 50's ish.?

Thanks for posting those!

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, 1 and 3 are 336SCs. The 2nd one is a 336A with 24" barrel.

Thanks...Bill.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Marlin collection is pretty modest.

2 336SS
1 336T
1 336Y
1 old 336
1 39A
1 39TDS

Last edited by retrieverman; 05/11/08.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I am down to two levers:

1958 336 SC in 35 Rem with original Lyman sight on it. Just don't have the heart to rid myself of it... One of my daughters (or both) may shoot their first elk with it.

[Linked Image]

For the daddy testosterone factor: Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70. Actually loaded with 13 grains Unique and a 405 grain Bullet Meister bullet, one of my daughters may shoot their first elk with it also.

[Linked Image]

I have moved several 30-30's (one went to a nephew for his first deer rifle) and an 1894 over the years just because I never used them. I actually have an old M80 22 lr that was my kids granddad's that of course is a legacy gun. Moved a 9mm Camp Carbine about 2 years ago that probably was a poor trade.

I shot that old 35 Rem today and boy what a shooter. My question to you Marlin lovers is: I am thinking that I may scope this gun when the girls are old enough to hunt with it. Would it be a sin to take off the peep and scope it, or should I teach the little beasts to shoot proper... I do have a vintage K4 Weaver that would look period...what mounting system would you recommend for a vintage feel. I am thinking Weaver would have been the only option... Thanks...

NRA Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I Love my Marlins:

Marlin 39-A, .22 LR
Marlin (2) 1894-SS Ltd, .41 Mag, Davidsons (#20 & #21 of 250)
Marlin 1894-C, .357 Mag.
Marlin 336-Y, Spikehorn, 30-30
Marlin 1895-GS Guide Gun, 45-70

Also "considering":
Marlin 1895 GST, 45-70, "Whitetail Special" Talo Exclusive

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P Weed, how do you like the 41 Mag. My smith has one in blue and thought it would be a dandy rifle to back up my Smith 58 in the same caliber. Just wondering if you like it with that caliber. Thanks, Ryan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do "like" very much. Go for it, I think they're not that easy to come by. You'll never regret owning one.

Also 41 Keith, who recently passed away, had the opportunity to shoot mine during deer hunting season a couple years ago up north where he lived. He thought it to be a GREAT little rifle in that caliber. I wished I would have left it with him, I know he would have loved to develop some loads for it.

There's also a couple of guys (with expertise) on this forum, who could weigh in informatively on the .41 Mag. Marlins - RJM, & RGS. If they see this thread.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE: supercrewed, Scoping the "old 35 Rem"
----------------------------------------

Those kinda "sins" are not 'Divinely' written in Stone.
But I could NEVER bring myself to "scope" that "one".

I'd buy one already scoped, in a minute, or would maybe put a scope on one that was less pristine and already "Banged Up".

Or, just have my girls shoot a suitable already scoped Non-Marlin hunting rifle I already own ... IF, they happen to find themselves in a need to shoot "scoped" situation.

That's my situation as regards my Marlins.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
supercrewed, I'd suggest loading some light loads to start with (using 158 grain pistol bullets at 1600 fps - use 10 grains of Unique and a large pistol primer) and teaching them how to shoot with the apertures. I think you might be very pleasantly surprised.

If you don't handload, here's the perfect excuse to get started. And I'd recommend getting a Lee Anniversary kit and a set of their dies - can do that for around $100 total and it'll pay for itself very quickly with the current price of ammo.

I would encourage you to teach them to shoot from standing, sitting, etc. - use sticks if they need some assistance due to the weight. Point is, teach em to shoot the same as they will when they hunt. If they'll hunt exclusively from a stand, then teach them to just rest the forend on the bag - like shooting out of the stand.

After they get proficient with the lighter loads, introduce them to the factory 200 grain loads.

See how all that goes.

If they're keeping all of their shots inside 6" at 100 yards, they will kill the elk when the time comes smile

Sorry if this is more than you were looking for - I get carried away sometimes and teaching kids peaks my interest every time. smile

BTW - good for you to teach your girls!!

Last edited by OSOK; 05/11/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
P
PJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've got:

336 30-30 Win

1895 45-70

Golden Model 39AS 22

882 22lr

917 17HMR

I would have to say that I really like my Marlins. They all shoot well, didn't break the bank, and get the job done. You can't argue with that.

Shoot straight or shoot often.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OSOK
supercrewed, I'd suggest loading some light loads to start with (using 158 grain pistol bullets at 1600 fps - use 10 grains of Unique and a large pistol primer) and teaching them how to shoot with the apertures. I think you might be very pleasantly surprised.

If you don't handload, here's the perfect excuse to get started. And I'd recommend getting a Lee Anniversary kit and a set of their dies - can do that for around $100 total and it'll pay for itself very quickly with the current price of ammo.

I would encourage you to teach them to shoot from standing, sitting, etc. - use sticks if they need some assistance due to the weight. Point is, teach em to shoot the same as they will when they hunt. If they'll hunt exclusively from a stand, then teach them to just rest the forend on the bag - like shooting out of the stand.

After they get proficient with the lighter loads, introduce them to the factory 200 grain loads.

See how all that goes.

If they're keeping all of their shots inside 6" at 100 yards, they will kill the elk when the time comes smile

Sorry if this is more than you were looking for - I get carried away sometimes and teaching kids peaks my interest every time. smile

BTW - good for you to teach your girls!!

I reload so that is not an issue. They are 3 and 5 so I have a few years before the time comes. I do have a Savage Cub 22 lr for when the training starts. It has an aperature rear sight so they will be familiar. I shot at 50 yards with the old 35 at a 1 inch dot and it looked like that scene in Lethal weapon with a smile under the dot after 5 shots. Adjusting the peep I was hitting the 200 yard gong. Like I said this one is a keeper.

I am very interested in youth education also. They are our only hope...

I have to teach the girls how to shoot as they will have to keep the wolves at bay in another 10 years...

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
AllI got for Marlins are a 336 in 30-30 and a 1895G in 45-70. I do have a Winchester 94 centennial edition with the fancy wood and engraving. My first deer gun was a lever and still in the gun safe, a BLR in 243.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those 1895 Guides are very nice - a great decision by Marlin to produce them.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Bushwacker,

My God Man !!

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Bushwacker,

Just today I looked over a 336 with those squiggly lines on top of the frame. It was in a local gun shop/pawn shop.....$175.00 cash out the door.It had a clean bore but and there is a but. It did have some rust spots on the lever. The butt plate did have a chunk missing,the dude said a new butt plate has been ordered. Oh, it is a 30-30 cal.

I'm going to buy it. Wish it was a 35 cal.

If you are near West Virginia this is a good place to fine Marlin's.

ps: the same shop had a Glenfield in 30-30 for 250 bucks. The stock was redone. I just thought damnnnnnnnnnn too much money.

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
99Savage308,

What town is the gun shop located in?

Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Model70man,

Shop is in Milton and another in Hurricane.

Happy hunting.

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. Is Morris Watch Shop still open?

Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a good price for the early model. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Every one of mine shoots great too. The most accurate so far is the 32 Special. Clover leafs at 100 yds with the receiver sight. Gonna whack some deer with it again this year. Ryan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I fell in love with the Marlins at a very young age. Back in the late 60's - early 70's we hunted deer with dogs in very thick brush areas (they don't call it the Big Thicket just because it sounds neat).

Most used shotguns loaded with buckshot, but I decided by age 8 or 10 that buckshot wasn't really effective at much more than 30-40 yards and tended to blood and wound too many times without killing cleanly. What I needed was a rifle that would take down deer more reliably and allow a decent chance on the occational shots at 75 yards or so (not too common, but it did happen sometimes).

The most common rifle was the Winchester 94 in .30-30. I never really liked the 94 as it seemed to me that it "spilled it's guts" out of the bottom every time the lever was worked. Just didn't look of feel right to me......and I was never too impressed with the effectiveness of the .30-30.

Then I discovered the Marlin 336 in .35 rem. It was love at first sight. Clean lines, smooth action and a round that hit noticably harded than the .30-30......and it could be scoped if such was desired. I also liked the pistol grip stock at the time. I later grew to like the straight grip as it seemed to handle a bit faster.

Over the years I've never been without at least one Marlin in the house. I've owned 336's in .30-30, .35 Rem, .32 Special, .375 Win and .44 Mag (I was lucky.....mine fed just fine and I regret ever trading that gun.) I've owned 1894's in .44 Mag (a much better rifle for the short pistol rounds), .41 Mag and .32-20 and 1895's in .45-70.

Over the years I've moved more toward the savage 99's but a look in the safes showed a decent group of Marlins even now. Presently I have a 1895 (early straight grip model) in .45-70, and 336's in .35 Rem. and .375 Win. An 1894 in .44 Mag. and a Model 39 round out the selection. Just can't see ever being without a Marlin handy........and it will likely past to the next generation as well. My son-in-law id developing a real fondness for lever guns.....with Marlins at the top of his list!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I own 5 Marlins.The one I don't have a picture of is a 336c 30-30.

Ist pic is 336 Zane Grey w/22in octagon bbl in 30-30 and below that is a 336RC in .35Rem manu.1968
[img][IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/neilmitchell/000_1052.jpg[/img][/img]

Next pic is on top a straight stocked 336RC 30-30 manu. in 1952 and below that is a 336SC .35Rem manu. in 1953
[img][IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/neilmitchell/000_1075.jpg[/img][/img]

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I'm not a collector as I shoot all my guns frequently. I have a modest Marlin family to go along with a couple of bolt actions:
[Linked Image]
They are top to bottom:
39M
336C in 30-30
308 MX
336SS Ltd in .35 Rem

I like em all.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mine are nothing special to most Marlin collectors, but I really enjoy the heck out of them.

L to R

16" model 1894 .44 mag
20" model 39 Mountie .22
16" model 336 30-30

The Mountie is hands down my favorite rifle of all my rifles, not just leverguns. It has killed more jackrabbits out on the high desert of the Great Basin than I will dare say, lest I be called a big fat liar.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A favorite pic of the Mountie:

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
One quick circle of a brushy draw:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Four big game tags in one season? wink

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Supercrewd are ya talking about the Jacks?

They do grow 'em big here. I have some pics of one of my 44 mag N frames laying on desert jackrabbits and it seems small.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jokin about the Jacks of course

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my 39A.

[Linked Image]

1894 in .41 Rem mag.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have 4 now.
The oldest is a 1949 336 in 30-30
Second oldest is a 1957 straight stocked 336 in 35 Rem
Third is an 1894 in .44 Mag
The newest is a 336 Spikehorn in 30-30

could not resist the lure of the Pawn Shop, bought this one today.
[Linked Image]

336 in 30-30, made in 1971 a Texan SRC

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No. 18 Baby Repeater .22Short
M39M Mountie .22LR
M80DL .22LR
M25MN .22WMR
M336RC (1st yr production) .30-30
M336A-DL .30-30
M336A .32WS
M336SC .35Rem
M336SD .35Rem
M336T Texan .35Rem
M1894 rifle .38-40WCF
M336 Magnum .44Magnum
M444P Outfittter .444Marlin
M1895G Guide Gun .45-70

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Marlin 336 30-30 from 1980, went into a pawn shop today looking for a cheap set of golf clubs and found this. And a cheap set of golf clubs.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Only have two Marlins, one from my dad, model 1889, cal 44-40 manufracture date of 1891, second one from my father-in-law, model 336, cal 30-30.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I must admit that I have many more Winchesters than Marlins, but I will never get rid of my Marlins!

1949 336A 30-30 My Dad bought this gun new in 49 and gave it to when I was 12, after I shot my fist Mulie with it.
[Linked Image]

This is my 1895G 45/70 that I modified a bit.
[Linked Image]

1894CB .357
[Linked Image]

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Here's a pic of the "Brace of 1000" Marlin Centennial Presentation set. Pic doesn't do justice to the wood.
[Linked Image]

And the .218 Bee and .35 Rem Marauder. Both of these also look much better in person
[Linked Image]

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
R
RGF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Let me see if I can remember all that are in my safe.

336W 30-30
336RC .35
336 Octogon 30-30
336 .375
336A 30-30
336LTS 30-30
30AS

R
RGF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Let me see if I can remember all that are in my safe.

336W 30-30
336RC .35
336 Octogon 30-30
336 .375
336A 30-30
336LTS 30-30
30AS 30-30
30-TK 30-30
.308 MX
1897CB Limited .44 MAG
1897 .44 MAG
1897 .357/38
1897M .22 Mag
1894G 45/70
39A
39A Mountie
60 100 year commemerative
I'm still looking for a 336 in .32 Special

Last edited by RGF; 07/14/08.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Hi everyone
A friend has a Mar. 336 in 35 Rem. it has a straight stock and he said he brought it used about 35 years ago. I think this model is called the Texan made around 1949 to 1950 and I believe it to be a collectable. Can anyone give me info. on this model?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have gone through a bunch of marlins including ER's, .375's, Marauders and Sporting carbines, but I eventually modified one into just what I wanted: short barrel, 2/3 mag, straight grip and chambered in .375 winchester. It's a 30tk that's been rebored to .375 winchester.

[Linked Image]

They aren't lever guns, but the marlins I shoot the most are my Model 90 overunders: grin

[Linked Image]

Weagle

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by italy1
Hi everyone
A friend has a Mar. 336 in 35 Rem. it has a straight stock and he said he brought it used about 35 years ago. I think this model is called the Texan made around 1949 to 1950 and I believe it to be a collectable. Can anyone give me info. on this model?

Texans officially were manufactured starting 1954. Though, I have one that I believe to be unmolested that dates to 1953.

That sounds like a 30A that's been fitted with a straight stock... if it's indeed that date range - could be an early 336.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[img][IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc309/scottscritters/Scottscritters140.jpg[/img][/img]

My 444 and 39A. Love 'em both.

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What year was the first crossbolt safety installed by Marlin?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I only have two but have had them for over 30 years.
Great guns, great fun.
336 in 35rem
39A, all time favorite 22
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My one and only Marlin is a st. grip 30-30 carbine with a 1x4 Leupold in Talley rings and bases with a QD talley peep..It is my truch gun and it will shoot an inch or under with about every load that I have tried in it..thats why I have owned it for a number of years..It has also killed its share of deer and a few elk by myself and family members.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
2 more pictures from this Fall.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two Marlin 1895 G .45-70 One in Ger. / one in AK.
One Marlin 336 .30-30

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my dog baying a boar seconds after I took a head shot on the charging pig. It had been previously wounded and we were mopping up.

[Linked Image]

This is the boar with my well worked and trusted Marlin .45-70
I use Barnes TSX 300 gr. in Germany.

Last edited by cmg; 12/27/08.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I have a few Marlins but I just happen to have a pic of this particularly unattractive pair on hand. LOL!
[Linked Image]

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
336 in 35 Rem.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kerr; 01/19/09.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
39A

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
A few Mounties.[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The rest of the family[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Mama and me like our Marlins! Never met one we didn't love. Someone PLEASE feel free to make these pics smaller.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No wonder it's tough to find a Marlin .22 , Kerr s got 'em all cool

Kerr , in photo bucket you can resize your pics . 800 X 600 works for most forums.

Phil

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
336 SC Deluxe 35 Rem.
336 35 Rem.
336 SS 30-30
1895 Guide Gun 45-70 Custom Stock from Marlin
Model 39 Golden 22 Cal.
357 Mag.
Model 122 22Cal

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a stainless scope on a Marlin!?

have you no soul man!

I thought I felt a tremor in the force

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
a stainless scope on a Marlin!?

have you no soul man!

I thought I felt a tremor in the force

It's a Stainless Marlin can't tell from the picture I quess

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
woops, sorry

a scope on a Marlin!

just kidding

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Current stable includes:
336 - .35 Rem
336 - .375 Win
444T - .444 Marlin
1895GG - .45-70
1894 - .44 mag

ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awsome collection Kerr !

Marlin should send you a bonus check....

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Mossyoak, that 35 deluxe is a little dandy for sure .The rest are rite up my alley too! LOL

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thank you Mr.chrome. About 2 or 3 years ago I traded and sold everything " other makes" to go Marlin leverguns only with a few exceptions . All the kids , grandkids , D.I.L. and S.I.L. all love to shoot them at our small range in the backyard . Without a daught the most fun guns I ever owned .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 4, but the only pic I have are of one I used to take a pig while home on R&R in Dec. Probably posted this kill to death, but here it is. The 30A is one my favorite hunting rifles.

1.336, 30-30, 16" carbine
2.1894, 44 Mag, 16" carbine
3.30A, 30-30 20" bbl
4.444, 22" bbl

[Linked Image]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kerr
336 in 35 Rem.

[Linked Image]

Sharp looking piece. Assume you had the straight stock put on in place of the original pistol grip stock?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A favorite pic of the Mountie:

[Linked Image]

MAN! That's a big A** Bunny

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
45/70 Guide,375,1971 .444,336 LTS,39 TDS,and 1959 Clipper King

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just this 336A from 1950 in .35 Remington. It's enough for now.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Biglmbass , Thank god for bargains at the local gun show. Baught a Straight stock 30-30 for real cheap ,swapped parts , stole stock off of D.I.L.'s 1894 , reassemble all , sell 30-30 for just what I gave for it now with pistol grip. Kill dear with new frankin rifle and first 35 Rem. reloads . SMILE!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff, Kerr. Again, nice rifle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pharaoh2
2 more pictures from this Fall.

[Linked Image]

Is this a 218 BEE?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.