Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As a fan of single shots, TCR's, Rugers, etc., I've got a question for those who may be in the know? Why is it that with all of the late 19th century rifle actions being reproduced, the Sharps Borchardt action has been bypassed?

Is the Borchardt action so complex the cost would be prohibitive? Is it a case where only single shot loonies (like myself) would be interested... e.g. the market is too small?

Am I correct in believing the Borchardt action (in current steels) would be as capable as the Ruger #1?

Any of the sage writers have any insight?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, it hasn't - well.....kind of.

Seems that PO Ackly ws a big proponent of this very action, and IIRC, Colt produced the "Colt-Sharps" back in the 70's, but dang - was it EVER expensive!!! Hasn't gotten anymore reasonable since.

I do know that one or more of the semi-custom cumpanies making Sharps Single Shots is making this action and I think that they are doing OK with it.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken_W
Am I correct in believing the Borchardt action (in current steels) would be as capable as the Ruger #1?

Any of the sage writers have any insight?

Ken W-

I'm not a sage writer (nor a rider of the sage, purple or otherwise). However, you should read up and google about the Colt Sharps rifle.

The Sharps Borchardt was produced by Colt for about 5 years in the early 1970s. Gun writer Les Bowman was brought in as a consultant on the project, and wrote a detailed account of the rifle in Gun Digest. (I don't recall which issue.)

It was an admirable attempt that fizzled. These rifles pop up infrequently on Auctionarms, Gunbroker, and Guns America.

--Bob

TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BullShooter

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Colt/Sharps and will look it up. I
wonder if the 70's product was ahead of it's time? I was hoping that one of the writers familiar with the industry had any insights into the reasons why it's been avoided now when rolling blocks, Ballards & others are being made? In these days of CNC milling could the action could be competitively priced?

The single shot acceptance seemed to gather steam in the 80's until now where there seems to be a reasonable market. I bump into #1's, Encore's, etc., more frequently now at the range and find now and then I'm not the only one carrying a single shot during elk/deer season.

Building on a 19th century Borchardt action is not within my financial consideration not to mention the blasphemy of doing that to a collectable. But, if there was such a new mfg product available, I'd have to have at least one.

Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out Al Story. His company is making authentic reproduction
Sharps Borchardt rifles. They ain't cheap. He made some parts
for one of my (2) Borchardt rifles & they work fine.

Al

IC B2

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
People want hammers on their "old" rifles.

The Colt Sharps was only superficially like a Borchardt.

Bruce

TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I did look on the web about the Colt/Sharps and could find some general info but not a lot of detail. I did see two that were for sale, $4500 & $6000.. a bit steep for my budget.

Still curious tho if someone in the industry would have a view as to why they've been passed up... even by the Italian gun makers.

Ken

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcp
The Colt Sharps was only superficially like a Borchardt.

Bruce

Quite true. The 1971 Gun Digest #25 has a five-page story written by Bob Hagel about the modern Sharps Borchardt. He noted the great external similarity to the originals, and the major internal differences. He hunted with a couple of rifles made in Salt Lake City before Colt bought the company that made them.

Les Bowman wrote the history of the Colt efforts for the 1984 Gun Digest #38. The story is fascinating and discouraging. According to Bowman, about 450 rifles were made by Colt.

A photo of a modern "near replica" of a Sharps-Borchardt action is on page 23 of the 1980 Gun Digest #34. The actions were being made by Artistic Arms of Hoagland, Indiana.

--Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.