Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cliff444
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This hammer and punch analogy is exactly what I was describing when I said that the bullet "pushes the steel" to the perimeter.

Which has nothing to do with melting.... [/quote
Then why does the target manufacturer say that the biggest problem a steel target has to deal with is the heat generated by the bullet. Readthis and find out. http://www.cascity.com/store/The_Truth_About_Steel_Targets.pdf
Truth � The basic destructive force generated by bullets striking steel targets is heat
Excessive concentrated heat alters the steel�s hardness properties and results in damage to the target�s face. The
amount of heat generated is proportional to the speed of the bullet, which is why rifles cause more damage to steel
targets than handguns.
This is the quote taken from the above website. really.

I know this shoot a steel target and then walk up and touch the target and it will not burn you....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Arrows are great when hitting big bones, not.....

Argg...you are taking this discussion from one aspect to another seamlessly...

The arrow being stopped by big bones is an example of inadequate energy to penetrate the bone, not a lack of density of the metal in the broadhead.

how about inadequate force to penetrate the bone...
Energy and force go hand in hand, so yeah, you're right smile

Sorta, but not exactly. Take a 55 grain bullet at 3650 FPS and that is 1626 FE and 3.92N (Newtons Force). Now let's take a 300 grain bullet atr 1200 FPS and that is 959 FPE and 7N (Newtons Force). One can have more FPE and Less force..

My point is that F=ma and kinetic energy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared. Both are dependent on the mass and change in velocity of the object. So, while they are not directly proportional, the force and the energy of a bullet do go hand in hand.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Net Force is Mass in kilograms time velocity in meters per secound not squared. 1 Newton force is 1 kilogram at 1 meter per secound = 1 Newton Force

Fnet = m * a

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l3a.html

Last edited by jwp475; 05/04/08.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Net Force is Mass in kilograms time velocity in meters per secound not squared. 1 Newton force is 1 kilogram at 1 meter per secound = 1 Newton Force

Fnet = m * a

Cut and pasted from the URL you provided:

"The definition of the standard metric unit of force is stated by the above equation. One Newton is defined as the amount of force required to give a 1-kg mass an acceleration of 1 m/s/s."

an acceleration of 1 meter per second per second is also expressed as one meter per second squared.

E.G. the acceleration of gravity is 32 feet per second squared. In other words, an object dropped in a vacuum (without air resistance) will be going 32 fps after one second, 64fps after 2 seconds, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Correct southtexas.

jwp,
f=ma means that force equals mass times acceleration. Acceleration is meters per seconds squared...

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Answer: Fnet = 10 N

Fnet = m � a
Fnet = (2 kg) � (5 m/s/s)

Fnet = 10 N

Not squared

Look at the tutorial and the answers

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Answer: a = 5 m/s/s

a = Fnet / m
a = (20 N) / (4 kg)

a = 5 m/s/s

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your answer of "a = 5 m/s/s" is 5 meters per second per second, which is mathematically equivalent to meters per second squared.

Look at the very first formula (in red) for "a" on your website. It says a=m/s2.

VELOCITY is expressed in units of length per unit time (feet per second or meters per second)

ACCELERATION is expressed in units of length per unit time squared (feet per second squared or meters per second squared)

Don't think Newtons laws have changed since I was in engineering school.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I was a physics major for a portion of my university education, and am quite familiar with these formulas and what the mean and represent.

jwp,
If you want, we can just agree to disagree wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jordan: So I assume Sir Isaac hasn't changed his mind? grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nope not yet. I guess he has yet to be convinced by some of the rising generation that he is old school and that the world has changed smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Physics defines or describes things mathematically - at least that is how I view it. And, yes, it can be very useful for calculating what will happen - assuming "we" can figure out every pertinent detail beforehand. Obviously, as with sending rockets into space, there are things we can't know before the experimental first attempts. That's because we don't always have every principle applied correctly.

I think the same applies to what we sometimes see with projectiles fired from sporting weapons. Does physics apply? Sure it does. Do we have every factor identified so that we can define it? I'm not so sure about that; in fact, pretty sure we don't - at least not in simple enough ways for laymen to understand.

Does a bullet burn through steel? I don't think so. (It looks a lot like a rock dropped into stiff mud to me, and rocks don't burn holes in mud.) Could heat make a hole in a very small concentrated area and then dissapate or be absorb into surround matter? Does that seem to happen in other examples? Hmmm, a plasma cutter comes to mind; so to, a spot welder. So, maybe, but still, I don't think it is heat. It seems to me that the energy required could be quantified in such a way as to prove the negative. No?

You can approach this stuff two ways. You can calculate the theory and then prove it (or not) through experiementation, or you can try things and then attempt to describe them mathematically. I think we are doing the latter, attempting to describe what is observed. I don't think that has been done satisfactorily.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Increasing the size of a round ball doesn't affect aerodynamics. The surface area-to-weight ratio is what affects drag. If the larger ball is catching more wind, it is also proportionately heavier, with more momentum.

Nope. You're forgetting about the cube-square ratio. The volume (mass/weight) of a sphere goes up as the cube of the radius, while the surface area only goes up by the square of the radius. So, larger balls fly better, with higher BC.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is true. Thanks for pointing that out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is, I see a big splatter mark on a steel plate when shot with the fmj 223 bullets we use, and it is definately the steel that is splattered. I also see lead tipped bullets disentegrate when shot at velocities approaching 4400 fps. There is no doubt that this happens. You can see it when it happens. I have a steel target manufacturer that says that the biggest problem is the heat generated by the bullet strike. It will be hard to convince me that there is not considerable heat generated when a bullet strikes a steel plate and all that energy is dissapated right now and in a very small area. The energy has to go somewhere.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A-36 1" thick Steel target

[Linked Image]

AR-500 1/2" thick shot with the same rifle and bullets

[Linked Image]

If the bullets heat were melting through then both targets would look the same...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. I understand real examples better than numbers squared or cubed and that makes perfect sense. I have a pic somewhere of what a 535 grain .458 bullet did(n't do) to a 1/4" steel plate while a puny little 25 grain 17 cal bullet zipped. As I recall, the divot from the big bullet was warm (it stretched the steel) while the tiny, clean hole was nil for warmth.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,715
Posts18,514,120
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.