Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I kill a lot of bears with a rifle; two each year so far. Because of the taxidermy bills, I thought I would start bow hunting them. I have been calling for bears all spring season with no luck. I mostly have been "dry" calling in the bottom of south facing slopes, under or over and sometimes in thick manzaneta areas; and by water on the warmer days. I know there are tons of bear in the area because of all the fresh sign (on occasion I see one from 2,000 yards away). I keep in mind the wind and I know you should spot and stalk as close as you can then start calling, but have not been able to yet. I use a rabbit call and a little squeaker call (mouse or something). Dose anyone have a hint on the matter? What am I doing wrong? What calls do you use? Oh! and Oregon does not let you run dogs or bate. Thanks.

"Have faith in yourself, apply your awesomeness to the enemy."

SUN-TZU
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try a deer call, either a doe or fawn bleat. Just be super careful, bears can be sneaky! Good luck! smile

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I had a friend get attacked by a 350lbs black bear two years ago. It took three .444 rounds in the chest, ripped the gun out of his hands and bit him in the groin and thigh (almost lost it). He managed to beat it off and we found the thing later that night after we got him to the hospital...we call him Frankenwheeny! (He says it still works). I carry the .500 Smith&Wesson just in case. No bear will go down on me!!! I'd rather not live through that one. I'll try a fawn in distress call tomorrow. Thanks.

SUN-TZU
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fawn bleet...and as stated, do be VERY careful!
i prefer to be in a tree stand when calling...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've called in a few, fact is that is where I am heading in a few minutes. If you do a search I've written a bit on here about calling the buggers and it may be of some help.

If you can find it I hope that it helps you out. I wrote it up in the general big game section a while back.

Good luck to ya

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I spotted this little guy at 400 yards today. I directed a friend in position to shoot her. We did call with the fawn and had something come in just out of view. I get to try and fill my tag tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. [img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=892335&id=659367517[/img]

SUN-TZU
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I do not know how to post a picture sorry.

SUN-TZU
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yup, bears love venison! smile If you've got elk in your area, a calf call works too. The wildlife bio highly recommended one when I inquired about hunting bears in the Wilson unit. Good luck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll give you my secret that work's very well for calling bears in. Use a bear cub call NOTE~~~Be ready at all times because, Mommy bear is going to come-in PISSED and ready to kick A$$....Daddy bear will just come-in ready to EAT!!!!!

"One good Shot Is All I Need"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by XPNut
I'll give you my secret that work's very well for calling bears in. Use a bear cub call NOTE~~~Be ready at all times because, Mommy bear is going to come-in PISSED and ready to kick A$$....Daddy bear will just come-in ready to EAT!!!!!

Not only that, but Mommy will about 75% of the times put the young ones in a tree pre coming in, hence my reasoning for not using a cub call for anything but one or two circumstances....

Just a thought.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good thought, Dober. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cub call? By the way our week long hunt is over. We saw 9 bears, the friend (who is from Mississippi) missed a great 400+lbs bear (twice) and ended with a 125 lbs blond Bo Bo. I think I need to start a bear guide business! I must confess I cheated and used a rifle because I was on stand...I missed the same bear at 578 yards.

SUN-TZU
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey wannabe, saw the cinnamin you posted. It was a bo bo but I'm glad he scored his first one. Make sure to tell everyone high for me. Has your dad or frankenwiener tagged yet?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
No Sniper, they have not. It was the best week bear hunting we had ever. Brando had the boar bust away from him within 10 yards. What a way to break him in. He was all by himself-not intentionally on our part it just played that way. He was freaked; yet loved it. He might still be there for you when you get back from your big game hunt overseas. Take care and I'll try to remember High Center Mass!

SUN-TZU
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
'He' meaning the Boar. Everyone says Hi, and good luck!

SUN-TZU
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
If the cubs are almost the same size of the mom can you take any of the three of them? I classify, in my mind that a 'cub' is a little ball of fuzz (under a 100 lbs or so). But if they are 150 to 200 and still with their mom; are you going to jail or what?

SUN-TZU
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, maybe you should give Dan E. a call about the legal. Frankenwiener will have his number. Glad Brando had fun, he's a good kid. Keep working at it, you still have plenty of time. Did you guys take that bear near where you popped that cinnamin last spring? You might want to check out that canyon where you bonked that one last October. If you can get up past the snow you might find a few up there in the cuts.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'll ask Steve and Scott to come up with me. I would not want to go there without one of them. The bear was killed by Killer's mine. All the other bears were seen in the yellow gate canyon. So we could have seen the same one more than once.

SUN-TZU
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rogue
I don't know, maybe you should give Dan E. a call about the legal. Frankenwiener will have his number. Glad Brando had fun, he's a good kid. Keep working at it, you still have plenty of time. Did you guys take that bear near where you popped that cinnamin last spring? You might want to check out that canyon where you bonked that one last October. If you can get up past the snow you might find a few up there in the cuts.

Mike,

did you reactivate in the Guard and are over in Afghanistan?? I know you were speaking about wanting to go...might explain why I haven't bumped into you anytime recently...

cheers
seafire
john chr.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey John, I've been playing Army since the first of the year. I'm down in the Helmand Province chasing bad guys with the Afghan Infanty. They're really good guys although we have a lot of work to do. We've been working our butts off trying to get these guys up. Hope you get some time to smoke some sage rats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,970
Posts18,499,310
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.