Print Thread
Hop To
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a pair of otters in my lake. It's a small lake and I need to get them out before they clean out all my fish. I've had people tell me to shoot them but I won't do that. Can they be live trapped and moved?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
GB1

H
H
Contact wildlife and parks ,maybe they need some or can hook you up with a predation trapper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to school for wildlife management and have seen otters live trapped with suitcase type traps, the same ones are used to trap beavers. There was a time we were trading Pennsylvania otters for turkeys to bring back our turkey populations. We used to strip bark of willows for beaver bait. I'd think curiosity scent attractant on a well used path would grab an otter up. Fish and Game might help, might not based on their workload. I'd give it a try.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Use live traps, but for a week wire the doors so they won't close and just keep feding them fish. Becareful not to get to much human scent on the fish. After they have been hitting the fish for a couple days straight, take the wires off the trap. You better check the traps twice a day because you will have something. otters, coons, ect.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Do what you want, but if the fish start getting scarce, they'll move on. May take some fish you'd like to get rid of. May not.

Otters are cool, almost as funny as bears. I'd keep 'em for entertainment valus. YMMV

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where are you located? I'm sure there is an ADC person near you who can trap them out. Check with the Michigan Trappers Association, they can put you ion tough with the correct person.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure of the size of your lake. Around here, people claim that by the time you notice them in a [u]pond/u] you might as well plan on restocking if and when you get rid of the otters. The state imported a few otters a number of years ago and released them in a marsh area 15-20 miles from here. The local TV stations were out in force to record the release. The tape rolled, a DNR guy opened the cage door, the otter dashed out, bit him in the hand, and headed for the water. Pond owners are not happy with the reintroduction. River fishermen claim an effect as well. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.