-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Marlin 336 in 35. Remington- 70 series micro groove, that has never shot the over-the-counter 200gr Remington Corelokt round nose worth a dam.

I cast some .358 186 gr (RCBS 38-175-RN) gas checked wheel weight round nose bullets, sized to .357 w/ Lee's alox... Backed up w/10 gr of Unique. Used Stoney Point OAL ga and Comparator. This shot about a low to-the-left 3.5" group at 50 yards.

Next, I cast .358 214 gr (RCBS 35-200-FN) gas checked wheel weight flat nose bullets, sized to .358 w/ Lee's alox... Backed up w/11.5 gr of GreenDot. Used Stoney Point OAL ga and Comparator with a .020 bullet jump to rifling.

This shot about a bullseye 3/4" group at 50 yards (this is as far a shot I can get out my back door in the rain).

I'm new to Cast Bullets so I don't know what's normal, but the barrel fouls like soot from a Black Powder rifle, just after a few shots. Is this a leading problem, or is it normal?

It's acurrate enough, and it's pretty easy to clean.

If it is not good I'm thinking the .358 sized buller sets tight on the case when you go to seat it, and it's stripping off the alox lube. I have Lee dies, and I couldn't find away to bell the mouth.

I have no Idea what kind of velocity I'm getting.

Can some one help and see what I need to do, or is everything about right.

Thanks,

GB1

RRW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If its not affecting the accuracy I wouldn't worry about it. Might try different powder. I mold my own, don't recall it doing that with the powders I burn. If you had a leading problem, you wouldn't get the groups you're getting.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Smokewagon, Like RRW said don't worry about it. To bell your case, just take a needle nose pliers in the case mouth and rotate it around a quarter turn a few times. After you do a few cases you'll learn how get just the right amount of flair.

If you started with a completely clean barrel after you've shot jacketed bullets, I wouldn't clean at all once you proceded to shoot cast slugs. All your doing is wearing down the rifling and forcing you to refoul every time you want to shoot cast bullets. Your getting around 1400fps on the first load and 1500fps on the second....Geo

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yep, I have found out this powder is sooty.

But I love it, and it shoots so good, I'm not worried about the fouling.

I've got to make sure all the copper is out from the past.

But, Don't clean once I'm shooting lead full time? Really? I just never heard that before, not that I don't believe you., but won't that soot buildup create a problem?

I'm ordering a Lee universal case belling die, about $ 8.95 at Midway, they came up with this die for this very purpose just recently.

I'd also like to see how far I can push this load. There is no data I can find past 11.5 gr of GreenDot.

What is a safe proceedure for this... working up the powder in 1/4 gr increments and checking for case destortion?, or do you have to stop because the book shows the loads at maximum?

My Lyman book only shows velocity, and not pressure C.U.P.

I appreciate the help.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Smoke wagon,

I'm going to direct you to a very good 35Remington thread on another forum. Hope you'll be able to pick it up. If not we can try another way to get this data to you.

As far as the cleaning of cast only shooting goes, if you don't belive me ask on this Accurate site, and they'll most all will say the same thing. In fact some claim the shooting cast will clean the jacket fouling out without chemicals or any kind of bore cleaner. ...Geoweb page

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Much George...

I'm gonna check it out.

SW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally wouldn't mess with 1/4 grain increments. I'd use 1/2 grain increments to find a good load. You might also try a bit of dacron (pillow stuffing) on top of the powder, below the bullet. That might give you better combustion of your powder. Use just a pinch of dacron and push it in on top of the powder. Then seat the bullet normally.

Rolly
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you are looking to add a new powder to your collection, try Accurate XMP5744. The second edition Accurate manual lists 20.7 - 23.0 gr with the RCBS 35-200FN bullet you are using.

I use 5744 in my trapdoor 45-70 and a Savage bolt action 30-30 with good success. Sooting seems to be an issue with shotgun powders. 5744 has not been a problem for me.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Often!!!
Mule

Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
THanks for the tip mule...

I've got to get me a copy of those accurate manuals.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,237
Posts18,504,505
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.