Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Not to offend the iron sight users but I really have to use a scope these days.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as scopes go, I recommend the Leupold 1-4x with "euro plex" reticle, which is great in low-light. If that's a little more than you'd like to spend, then I'd go with the Burris Minimag 4x scope. Both of these are very compact and have no "bell" in the front. They work very well on leverguns.

Here's a pic of a standard 1x4 Leupold:

[Linked Image]

If you haven't tried a good aperture sight, then I do recommend that you do so if you'd really rather stick with irons. They work with presbiopic eyes (old eyes) really well as you only focus on the front sight and let the rear blurr or "ghost". I'm only talking about the rear-mounted ones that are right in front of your eyes- not the ones that replace the mid-mount rear sight leaf. Really fast on target and quite accurate.

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html makes a good one.

Last edited by OSOK; 05/05/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i second the 1-4 Leupy.......ive got one thats done duty on my Guide Gun.....works really well.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A "3rd" for the Leupold.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Picked up this 2.5x compact Leupold for just over $100 used. It's turned out to be a great little scope on the Marlin. For big game at modest ranges I don't need any more scope than this. Great field of view and the light scope (about 8 ounces) barely affects the handling of the rifle at all.

Marlins are easy to scope, and I too shoot better with a scope anymore. I understand about eyeballs aging.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a 3-9X Leupold Vari X II on a cowboy rifle for about a year for load workup and the first season I hunted with it. Awful heavy, clumsy outfit. I traded it for a Guide Gun. For that gun I did load development and my first hunting season with a 2.5-8X Leupold, then switched to a 1.5-5X, then back to irons. Briefly a while back I had a Weaver K2.5 on it.

I can't get a right combination. Scoped the guns are clumsy IMHO. With irons (Willams receiver) they handle better but I've had trouble with getting on target fast enough.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just want to point out the scope mount that Guym used (Leupold?) is nice and low - the lower the better on a lever IMHO.

And TOM, I agree about the cowboys - they just don't do well with scopes and aperture sights are a much better answer.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
OSOK - that is the Leupold STD mount. I was concerned about it, because of the windage-adjustable rear screw on the mount, but 5 years on a Guide Gun and two years on this 1895 Marlin with no problems have eliminated all worries I had. Having the low powered scope mounted low and well forward like that has worked out great for me with these rifles. Quick on target and easy to use. I won't be changing the setup at all.

Regards, Guy

M
M
My eyes aren't doing so well either. I put a Leupold 1.5 x 5 VX-III on my XLR 45-70 and 308ME XLR. and like them well. When my eyes aren't so blurry (allergies and age)I have the same two caliber rifle combination with Williams FP reciever sights and fiber optic front sights. I prefer the reciever sights for all my shooting but will use the scoped one's for hunting if I'm having trouble seeing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
welcome to the board! Thanks for sharing your experience.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Guym, that scope looks like it belongs on that 45/70 haven't seen one yet that looks more aesthetic. I went to Leupolds site and would like to have one with a German # 4 reticle , not sure if they'll make it or not. If not the 1.5-5 with a german reticle would fit the bill but it won't be as short or lightweight as your combo. Very nice looking

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Redfield Low Pro 1.75x5 low Weaver rings on a modified Weaver base.
This is a USA made Redfield wish they still made them.
It's a great combo and has served me very well.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 50+ year old eyes just could handle the open sites, so I bought a XS gost ring set-up, but still couldn't do very well past about 75 yards. So I mounted a Leupold VX-II on it, developed loads with it, but at loads near max, just couldn't keep the thing from jumping in my face.

I ended up taking it off, putting the ghost ring back on. I can't get groups nearly as good anymore, but it feels better.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
McInnis - take a look at how far forward that little 2.5x of mine is mounted in my post above. The fixed power Leupolds have a shorter ocular lens housing than the variables, by about an inch, and it can make a big difference.

Like you, when I used a variable power scope on my Marlin I would sometimes get just lightly brushed by the scope during recoil - this was with max level loads only. And only from some shooting positions. Prone was the worst.

I swapped to the fixed power scope, which allowed me to move the scope another inch forward and all was well. Have never been bumped by the scope since and these 52 year old eyes really appreciate the advantage given by a scope. Worth a try - really!

There's a big difference in the location of the rear of the scope between my setup and Hookers. His works for him, but would beat me up badly. Mine works for me, but maybe not for him?

Regards, Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 05/10/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an older Aimpoint red dot mounted on mine. I believe it is the 2000 model.

I love it. Although it can be a pain if you have antler laws, as it is only one power. I can group my short little guide gun with buffalo bore 350 grainers at about an inch and a half most of the time(obviously good and bad days)!

If you are hunting in low cover, the red dot works well. You do on the other hand have to deal with battery's. But the newer models have incredible battery life.

I may mount the shot gun leupold with a heavy duplex on it this year, or possibly the leupy mentioned above!

Good luck on your persuit!

Matt

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on the aimpoint. I have one on my G.G. and think it is just perfect for the gun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just picked up a Marlin 1895 XLR in 45/70 a week ago or so. I have a small stockpile of scopes. It came down to a Nikon Buckmasters 4X40 or a Leupold FXIII 6X42. I ended up with the Leupold on the 45/70 mounted in Dednutz mounts. Should be interesting how it works out!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rahtree, sounds like it will be a good combo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Kinger
Rahtree, sounds like it will be a good combo.

The Leupy FXIII has great eye relief...........that is the main reason for my pick over the Nikon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
2.5 x 8 leupold vari-x III

[Linked Image]

gwb

Last edited by geedubya; 05/22/08.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 24 invisible), 14,466 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,963
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.