Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
New boots for the first time in over 15-years. I decided on an older pair of handmade Scarpa this go around. My Merrell Wilderness boots have run a good race, but I thought I could use a new pair. These are very nice boots one very thick piece of leather, I'll use them this year on the AT and other hikes. Any feedback on the best break in to avoid blisters on a long hike?

Thanks.........Greg

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thin poly pro sock liners and then a mid weight sock (not as heave as you might use in the winter.) Walk a lot of short trips around town/neighborhood. If they are thick and stiff then nothing but miles and miles is going to get them broke in. Protect your feet from hot spots with sock liners and or the thin blister pads.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I used to mow my lawn in my new boots to help break them in pre season

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
just takes a lot of time and a lot of walking before they feel right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Granger's leather conditioner to treat the boots prior to hiking in them and then after every hike afterwards until I have the boots where I want them. I don't know if this is psychological or real but it does seem to allow the boots to break in well without stretching.

I have a pair of Lowa boots that I am in the process of breaking in right now and are treating them with conditioner each time. I have taken them on three 5 mile hikes so far and they are much improved. But still it will be another couple hikes till they are where I'd trust them on a long hard hike, especially if it had a lot of uphill stuff. Backpacking boots are like that when the sole is pretty stiff and the leather takes a while to get creased up.

Just don't push them too far too soon and wait for them to do their thing.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a pair f Lowa's that I wore last summer before my sheep hunt. I probably put 40-50 miles on them on training hikes and such before the hunt. They did well during the hunt until we had a day of side-hilling. I got a few small blisters, but it wasn't as bad as it felt at the time. After that hunt, my boots were truely broken-in. Best advise I can give is were them as much as possible in conditions that are going to match your hunt terrain. Be sure and wear a pack with the same amount of weight you expect to carry in the field, and take mole-skin on your hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting a pair of boots that fit well and wear comfortably can be a chore can't it?

I really like the Lowas. They are a very sturdy boot and are comfortable as could be hoped for with the type of boot they are. But every boot has its purpose and I'd never choose these over my Danners for a trail that was hard or one that had good, even footing. The difference being what you would expect between a hiking and a backpacking boot.

I am coming to know that the way I use my boots has dictated that I need several different types to be comfortable and secure. And as hard as breaking them in can be I baby them so they last a long time. When I walk into the woods in deer season it will be the 12th season for my hunting boots. And I never wear them except for cold weather hunting.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine who would go stand in a stream letting his new boots soak up the water, then go hike them dry. Sorta hard-core, but it worked!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Great info gang.

Brad, my last pair I filled with water and let set over night, then walked them dry....was hope there was a new techique in the new millium.

I saddle soaped these a few times and wore them around, I guess I'll do that again for a few more days to see I can loose them up a bit.

I wouldn't have a new pair but my feet grew....not sure how that happens after age 30, but it did.........Greg

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good luck with Nikwax, from day one even before their first use, Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo all leather boots. With new boots I'll wear them to work at the cube farm. I've gotten a few strange looks walking around the office with a burly pair of boots on but I haven't had a blister either.

When you say an "older" pair of Scarpa boots what model do you mean?

IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I once had to do a hurry up breaking in, and soaked them in a bucket of hot water before walking them dry did the trick.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Bluffview, these are hand made one piece leather. Found out. SCARPA FABIANO EXTRA GENUINE LEATHER BOOTS

Last edited by vacrt2002; 05/20/08.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Great info gang.

Brad, my last pair I filled with water and let set over night, then walked them dry....was hope there was a new techique in the new millium.

Like most things in life, the Old tried and true ways got that name for a reason.

I once used a product designed to break in baseball gloves. Its called something like 5 minute break in. You spray this foam on the leather then bake it in the oven for 5 minutes, then flex the glove. I done this with boots, then wore them for a 1 mile hike. Then a repeated 3 more times. It worked well, but If I had it to do over I'd just stand in a tub of water until the boots where saturated and wear them dry, less time consuming.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
O'God! WEAR THEM!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thank you Zeek.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
You're welcome!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well somebody needed to say it. you beat me to it. I go through mental gymastics myself about hunts, equipment, clothing, but a little common sense every once in while is nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and take mole-skin on your hunt.
IMO, leave the mole skin at home, duct tape works much better. And yes, I'm aquainted with blisters! Wanna see a pic??? wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

I wouldn't have a new pair but my feet grew....not sure how that happens after age 30, but it did.........Greg

MOFO what an ephiphany it were when I discovered me brogans had grown to size 12 from size 11.

you boys missed out on some real entertainment in the days I'd come back from hunting all day and try to get out of size 11 hip waders, I've had pards drag my azz all over a gravel bar trying to get my right boot off!

imagine my excitement about hitting a growth spurt again in my 40's!

I ventured north to see if Willy was growing, but alas ole Willy was complacent to just lay there and not participate in growth mode (i've owned stocks that did the same thing)

only bit of brightness to the situation Willy did respond well to the gentle caress of me kids wee mother upon bringing him home, twas quite impressive growth if only temporary.

ah well, the lad does what he does and he's never let me down.

My feet have stayed bigger though, and I'm a happy camper now that everything footwear is size 12

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.