Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#22238 07/24/01
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding a demonstration in D.C. by gun owners, Wallace posed an interesting question.<P>Do you trust your government or some other whacko organization that they would not put some nut out there while the demonstration is taking place, to fire off a few rounds at the White House? And what kind of light would the media paint the demonstration in then? Would they focus on your cause, or the nut with a gun claiming to be with you??? Something like that could very well damage the very thing you want to achieve--Wallace <P>Wifey, (God Bless Her) suggested that every one of us post real live letters to our congresscritters, President, Supreme Court Justices, and all news medias, supporting the 2nd Amendment, and demanding the assault on our rights be stopped. Now lets think about this.<P>E-mails flood these folks, and it's a safe bet that most are deleted due to sheer volume. Phone calls are fielded by secratarys who may or may not forward a message, possibly based on her views regarding the subject. But a big pile of letters can't be hidden, forgotten, or ignored.<P>This could be done by every one of us for less than the cost of a box of centerfire shells. We'd need to set this up so that all this mail would arrive at nearly the same time. Such letters should be hand written or typed. Form letters don't carry much weight. Maybe write on the envelope something regarding support for the 2nd. Even if it's not opened, they'd know where you stand<P>We would have to get organized, so that we're all reading from the same page. Spread the word on other forums, and through pro 2nd Amendment groups. If there are 80 million gun owners, we should be able to generate ALOT of mail. What do you think?<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

W
W
I felt a little guilty today like I might be stealing someone else&#8217;s thunder with my previous commentary. Tonight I was struck with what I think might be the foundation of a pretty good idea. I had thought over what I wrote the night before and found a solution that I feel would guarantee two important things. <P>One, that you would get media attention from a gun rights demonstration and two, that the problem of a maniac getting loose would be undermined. Even <B>if</B> he or she did something stupid I believe.<P>If you really wanted to hold a demonstration&#8212;then why not do it under the notion of <B>"Standing Guard"</B>. By that I mean you could do something like either encircle the White House, or stand in front of the Capital Building with the idea you are protecting the government within. <P>This would also have the ability to draw in many more people too I believe. Since <B>"Standing Guard"</B> is Wayne LaPierre&#8217;s column-heading in every NRA magazine, you might well be able to garner support from them as well. Also with this notion, you could invite everyone from cowboy action shooters, to civil/revolutionary war re-enactors, under the ideals that firearms have kept this country secure and protected in it&#8217;s beliefs since we as a nation came into existence. It would be people laying down their arms for a day in support of the second amendment. Protecting their government, not with a gun in hand--but with their very existence. Their very lives.<P>Then if the worst case scenario did transpire--the swarm of angry people that would befall that poor person would be proving the point that we Americans standing guard is really what the second amendment is all about. It&#8217;s not really just about the "gun", but about protecting our rights and freedoms. Standing up for what we believe in.<P><BR>The media I don&#8217;t think could overlook this. They could not help but report the message that we are trying to get across to our people and to our leaders--Wallace<P>(So what do you think? I&#8217;ll post it both places. Then again, why not do 7mm's idea too?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Natural balance.<BR>Natural order. <BR>And in the end...<BR>Natural selection.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Wallace,<BR>I think you may be on to something, there! On the other hand, regardless of what WE name this little get-together, the media may well name it something else. It will still APPEAR threatening to many, I'm afraid. (Just something to consider.) How about keeping the moniker, "Standing Guard", but "guarding" the Statue of Liberty, or some other suitably symbolic monument, rather than encircling the White House? Would this cause the demonstration to lose too much media attention? Just stirring the pot here, what do you think?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I guess one bus should do it then, huh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I aint going to put on gloves and crawl in a ring with a ranked heavyweight and I dont think we need to try to manipulate an unfriendly media into carrying our message.They are the experts in that game.<P>Letters are the key,I believe,and a concerted,coordinated effort would have impact.How about if we each write a one page letter,enclose one dollar bill,and send to one central location like a small town in Kansas.Volunteers open the envelopes,put letters in stacks of 100,and ship by truck-common carrier- to the Senate office building.The buck pays for shipping and excess is given to Salvation Army,or some other non political charity.<P>The letters could be addressed to speaker of the house and majority leader of the senate.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Gene,<BR>Do you mean ... one letter to the Speaker of the House, and another letter to Daschle? <BR>(Just wondering if Daschle would even admit to having received them.) Or did you mean something else?<P>BTW .... Does this interest anybody else out there? Are you still out there, 7mm? ... Wallace? Any more ideas? ~ Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My idea was a letter adressed to them jointly,publicize the letters,deliver to Daschle asking that he notice them and forward to Dennis H.The media has to report it but there is nothing for them to spin and they cant call it a NRA ploy.With Yellow Freight or some such line delivering them,it keeps personalities out of it.Just a real grass roots message.<P>Just big boxes of letters with the same theme.I'm not saying it has to be just like that.Hell,nobody died and left me in charge.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gene williams:<BR><STRONG>The media has to report it but there is nothing for them to spin and they cant call it a NRA ploy. .... Just a real grass roots message.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd like to hear what a whole bunch of others here think about this, but I really like the idea! In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like it ... it doesn't get any more "grass roots" than that. No form letters. Just sincere individual messages from We The People. And it would really stick in the leftists' craws, provided we can deliver a LOT of letters. Truckloads of letters. The charitable gift to ("A Wonderful Cause"), will make for a nice kicker, too! Leftists hate it when conservatives look compassionate!<BR>I'm gonna shut up now, and see what y'all have to say. ~ Dan

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great idea Gene! This is even better because it attracts media attention, and gets all the mail there at the same time.<P>If we're gonna do it, though, we need to get out the word. We need to generate TRUCKLOADS of mail, and that means every "swingin' richard" among us got to take part. Lets roust up these other forums, and pro-2nd Amend groups. It will only work if ALL of us get in on the act!<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it seems we would do better if we had a clear plan with details worked out before we start generating support.I bet a VFW post would act as repository and shipper,but there is probably a better group to do it.I guess it wouldnt have to be the midwest,but if there is some time lapse between shipping and recieving,it makes two media events.<P>If we cant get more than a handful on this board interested enough to offer suggestions,we probably aint gonna set the woods on fire with letters.<P>I'll write my letter and send some bucks but somebody has to be the head of this deal.Anything with no head is dead,anything with two heads is a freak.[ heard that from a preacher]<P>7mm,you willing to be it? If not,nominate somebody else.Anybody here suits me.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gene williams:<BR><STRONG>it seems we would do better if we had a clear plan with details worked out before we start generating support.I bet a VFW post would act as repository and shipper ....<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>First, I don't feel qualified to lead this effort, but want to help in whatever way I can. Who has the organizational skills, know-how, contacts, and perseverance to get this rolling?<P>Also, I think we need to have a name for this project SOON, so everyone recognizes what project we're talking about, exactly, while we're trying to drum up support.<P>Gene ... I think your suggestion of the VFW (or other suitable established institution) to handle that end of it, sounds very good. They might also be a great vehicle to help drum up support for this, nationwide.<P>LET'S DO THIS! [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if I could handle it, Gene. I don't have any connections in the midwest either.<P>LC's right about needing a name And we need a guy somewhere to act as a Head Man a help us find a VFW or Foreign Legion post that'd be willing to help us. I think maybe we should see how many letters we could drum up, before we get carried away. I think most of us here would be in, but we need to contact those who aren't part of our family here. I know alot of shooters who dont have puters. We need everybody involved.<P>What about setting up a POC with the NRA and other 2nd Amendment groups? I still think that they would have the best chance of success with this venture. Comments?<BR>7mmbuster

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way I see it working best is someone with computer skills who can send emails to state and local hunting shooting clubs.They would set up in Wal Mart parking lots for instance with a supply of addressed envelopes and writing paper.Sell the guy a stamp,he puts his dollar in with the short letter he writes.He can mail it or the volunteer does it for him.Maybe pick one weekend like the one before halloween-I dont have a calendar in front of me- to make it a nationwide effort.<P>Nra would give us space in their magazine to promote it perhaps.As far as a name;Operation Big BUCK is my suggestion.Let's hear some more,cause CLOUD's right.It needs a name.

C
C
kThe mail thing sounds like one good idea. Maby we could pick a day for all letters to be mailed. Maby a different day for each recipient. Lets git it togather and get the word out to as many as possible.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK...7mmbuster requested input from off of the hunters fire forum. I came here, I have input. We all know that shooters and hunters are hard to get to do anything unified....'specially around hunting season. Hunting season is fast approaching gentlemen!<BR> The ranges will become busier as everyone goes to sight in before season, so it would be a good time to make contacts w/ those who don't compute.<BR> Getting action tho' will be tougher...sad to say, but it often takes a crisis and a take away, for some folks to get politically active. Some in our ranks never will activate due to sloth. <BR> My point is that to make this movement move, we will have to make it EASY to participate, NOT take up much/any precious time, and have it contain a common enemy that we can all hate and recognize.<BR> I agree with much of what has been said:<BR>1) NRA should be involved, consulted.<BR>2) Anticipate media spin<BR>3) Anticipate infiltration, (that wild gunman idea really got me thinking...WOW)<BR>4) Education for letter composition by the common folk. They only need to keep it short and to the point!<BR>AS far as me goes..I'm in..I'll write another letter, short and sweet....no problem. Tell me when, and where to send it. sparkman375

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guys if you want me to mention this on my online magazine say the word, i'm the editor so i can post it up real quick. Heres teh addy <A HREF="http://www.geocites.com/juniorhunters" TARGET=_blank>www.geocites.com/juniorhunters</A> <P>cab someone send me all the info we have already I'll need the entire game plan? Here is hte email adress juniorhuntersyahoo.com <P>I have people that write for the mag in oregoen alberta michigan delware PA and alabama and they all have people that will also send letters, we'll get this off the ground [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey you guys!! I'm in. This sounds like a great idea. Anything I can do??<BR>Doren

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.