CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2224534 - 05/27/08 06:52 PM Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home?
L_Killkenny Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Iowa
I have an old Glenfeild Mod 25 that I have used for coon hunting for years. The only problem is that it carries like crap in the woods. It's balence is awful and the barrel too long. For years I've thought about taking it to a smithy and getting the barrel cut downn but don't know if I want to spend the $$ on a gun only worth $50.

Is it possible to perform this job at home? Does anyone have any tips or links?

I know this isn't normally done but on a inexpensive gun like this it might be worth it to try. I'm not gonna be out much if it doesn't work. Thought I'd cut it down to arounf 17" so if I mess it up I can take it to the smith and have him finish down to 16"

Thanks,
CB

#2224583 - 05/27/08 07:12 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: L_Killkenny]
rvp Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: MISSISSIPPI DELTA
I have used a mouse ball and valve grinding compound. I open the chuck wide open on my 18 volt electric drill and gently start the ball turning with a slight down pressure on top of the ball. The chuck teeth apply just the right amount of grip or tension to spin the ball.I make sure the drill is vertical and strait up over the bore. In your case cutting a square cut would be critical to give you a flat face to work off of.The mouse ball and or a large round head brass screw chucked tight will give a good crown if you take your time. I had a friend crown an old 22 remington tube feed my Dad bought during the depression for $3.50.So some rifles are irreplaceable. Oh and the accuracy returned after a good cleaning and crowning.

#2224607 - 05/27/08 07:24 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: rvp]
Savage2005 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Franklin, TN USA
Start at 20" and work down an inch at a time to 16

#2224775 - 05/27/08 09:05 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: Savage2005]
supercrewd Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Gunnison, CO
http://www.[bleep].com/Midway_sept.html

Bleep is guns and hunting (remove spaces, must be a business dispute)

Edited by supercrewd (05/27/08 09:09 PM)

#2225116 - 05/28/08 06:46 AM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: supercrewd]
Cheesy Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: SW Missouri
An electrician that works for me had an old military gun that had been rebarreled to .243 before he got it. He couldn't get it to shoot no matter what he did. Got to looking and the last 2 inches of the barrel looked jacked up to his eye, so he cut it off with a hacksaw (as square as he could), cleaned up the rifling with some needle files. He claims it is one of his most accurate guns now, and he does have some accurate guns, shoots a lot of local matches around here. Anecdotal at best, but I believe what he says.

#2225226 - 05/28/08 07:58 AM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: L_Killkenny]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

It's been many years ago, but I cut off a .22 barrel, then carefully filed and sanded it square, then lapped it with a round head brass screw in an eggbeater hand drill. It came out very nice. One tricky part is avoiding burrs at the edge of the bore. I checked with a clean q-tip that would catch fibers on any burr that was present. I've had crowns done by gunsmiths fail that test. Then there was the smith that crowned another .22 for me, and left so much burr that I couldn't get a cleaning rod through it, but that's another story.

Paul

#2225627 - 05/28/08 12:03 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: Paul39]
1234567 Offline
Campfire Guide

The most difficult part of the job will be getting it square. If you are good with a hacksaw and file, you shouldn't have any problem. Get it as square as you can, then use the round headed brass screw amd valve grinding compound in an electric drill for the crown.

As far as cutting it down? I don't know the legal length, but it is somewhere around 16 or 17 inches. Make sure before you cut off too much.

#2225665 - 05/28/08 12:25 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: 1234567]
Lee24 Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Southern California
To get a square cut, clamp a quality stainless steel hose clamp around the barrel as a guide for your saw blade. Use the finest steel saw blade you can find, with no offset to the teeth and no waves. Most hacksaw blades have every other tooth offset to opposite sides, and have a wavy blade, but there are fine ones that have just straight teeth. After you get done, use the hose clamp as a guide for your file, then for a whetstone.

#2225666 - 05/28/08 12:26 PM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: Paul39]
jpb Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: northern Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Paul39
It's been many years ago, but I cut off a .22 barrel, then carefully filed and sanded it square, then lapped it with a round head brass screw in an eggbeater hand drill. It came out very nice. One tricky part is avoiding burrs at the edge of the bore. I checked with a clean q-tip that would catch fibers on any burr that was present. I've had crowns done by gunsmiths fail that test. Then there was the smith that crowned another .22 for me, and left so much burr that I couldn't get a cleaning rod through it, but that's another story.

Paul

I've done this myself too on several "beater" rifles (although I used a cotton ball instead of a Q-tip to test for burrs!).

I had the opportunity to do an 'after" test on 2 of the 4 centrefirel rifles that I did this on for friends, and one (a Rem 700) shot MOA, the other was a Savage 99 (before a very slight shortening, the muzzle was clearly worn egg-shaped by I suppose a cleaning rod: after it shot about 2 MOA with a scope). Both owners of the other 2 rifles were happy with much improved accuracy, but I was not able to test the rifles myself so I can't say how they shot. I've shortened the barrel on 3 rimfires, and all shot every bit as well at 20 yards with the shortened barrels as they did before (and one shot a lot better, I suppose because it originally had muzzle damage).

I sure don't suggest this if a rifle is worth spending a bit on! Take it to a gunsmith with a lathe and get it done right. However, for a rifle not worth putting money into, it is worth a try.

One tip I can add to help file the end square after cutting: bore a hole in 2 x 4 that will just take the muzzle. Split the 2 x 4 right though the hole with a saw, then clamp the muzzle in the board in a vise. It is quite easy to file the end square using this guide.

Now, I'm sure all the real gunsmiths will be cringing at the advice in this thread, and I would not disagree for a good rifle either!

John

#2227304 - 05/29/08 09:55 AM Re: Cutting down/recrowning a barrel at home? [Re: jpb]
L_Killkenny Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Iowa
Thanks for all the replies so far. The hose clamp looks like a great idea, so does the q-tip/cotton ball trick. Couple questions though:

What is a mouse ball?

What lapping compound did you use and where is it available?

How does a brass screw work for crowning and cleaning up the rifling? Seems like the steal barrel would just tear up the brass screw.

CB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
622 registered (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 243Win, 02bfishn, 63 invisible), 1517 Guests and 298 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627708 Topics
8997231 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.