Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks GeoW

I think it is a 1640 action. It must have a checked beechwood stock.

Could I use this to build a 7x57 or would I spend to much to change the saftey and such?

Would it be better to look for a mexican mauser?

Thanks

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
Not being a smart azz or anything but, do you know the difference between a large ring and small ring Mauser?

I don't, would you mind explaining that please?
Thank you!
Jordan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had those and still have two M98 based Husky's built on the commercial FN, a 9.3x62 beechwood beauty and an '06 of the same ilk. Both are fine shooters as was my 1640 308 similar to yours. All good guns and generally sold for less than they are really "worth" IMO.

Last edited by Tony; 06/12/08.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by TC1
Not being a smart azz or anything but, do you know the difference between a large ring and small ring Mauser?

Thank you!
Jordan

Jordan, the best way to explain is to use a picture. A bolt action has 2 sections called rings. These are located in front of and behind the loading port. On the Mauser rifle known as a large ring M98 the front ring is larger than the back ring section of the action, hence the name large ring mauser. This was added to the 1898 model Mauser as an extra safety measure along with a third locking lug on the bolt and a flanged safety.

Below is a picture of two BRNO Mausers side by side. The one on the left is a large ring. Notice how the front ring is larger than the rest of the action. The one one the right is a small ring. Notice how the ring is the same size as the rest of the action.

[Linked Image]

In this picture we have a view from the left side. The large ring mauser is the one in the rear.
[Linked Image]

Large ring
[Linked Image]

small ring
[Linked Image]

Hope this helps
Terry

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Terry,

Can you help me find the two rings on either side of my loading port, ain't been able to find them yet?

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess I should have said MOST bolt actions.

Terry

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, you should have guessed I would bust chops................grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking Blamauser their looks like a small ring....

randy..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by TC1

Thank you!
Jordan

Jordan, the best way to explain is to use a picture. A bolt action has 2 sections called rings. These are located in front of and behind the loading port. On the Mauser rifle known as a large ring M98 the front ring is larger than the back ring section of the action, hence the name large ring mauser. This was added to the 1898 model Mauser as an extra safety measure along with a third locking lug on the bolt and a flanged safety.

Below is a picture of two BRNO Mausers side by side. The one on the left is a large ring. Notice how the front ring is larger than the rest of the action. The one one the right is a small ring. Notice how the ring is the same size as the rest of the action.

[Linked Image]

In this picture we have a view from the left side. The large ring mauser is the one in the rear.
[Linked Image]

Large ring
[Linked Image]

small ring
[Linked Image]

Hope this helps
Terry

Thank you VERY MUCH!
That explains it perfectly!

Jordan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STA
Nice looking Blamauser their looks like a small ring....
laugh

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Does anyone have a picture of a 1640 action that I could see.

Thanks Alot

Daron

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The stock looks the same but it has a mauser bolt release and a swing saftey. It says husqvarna vapenfabriks on the action.

It is a small ring.

Any ideas.

Sorry, I just would like to know if this is a smart purchase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's a Husky in good shape, it's high quality, and is definitely worth $350. The real question is: Do you want it?

If you're trying to talk yourself into buying it, or you're trying to get us to talk you into buying it -- then don't.

but if you like it and you want it...then by all means you should buy it, whether anyone else agrees or not grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
mule deer,

Great Advice! I WANT to but it if it is what I think nit is. The problem is that I don't know what kind of gun it is and neither does the dealer.

I have gotten some great info here that has helped, I'm just trying to know if I'm dealing with a husky or a 98 or what.

Before tonight I didn't know the difference between a small ring or large ring!

So thanks to all around the fire tonight.

Daron

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The resident expert on Husqvarnas in SBHVA, but since he hasn't jumped in, I'll give it a shot.

Husqvarna has sold 270s built on 3 different actions; FN built 98s, then the HVA, then the non-Mauser style 8000/9000 series. IIRC, the pre-1950 commercial 1896 small-ring Mausers were only offered in 6.5x55, 8x57, and 9.3x57. The FN built 98 large-ring Mausers were chambered for a wide variety of American and European cartridges, including the 270. The HVA is a nice action, but nothing special. The 8000/9000 series actions are probably the smoothest production actions around, but they aren't too common and folks who have them usually try to hang onto them.

I personally would not build a 270 on a small-ring pre-1898 style Mauser action for a variety of reasons, but wouldn't think twice about buildinga 270 on any of the other 3 Husqvarna action styles. A down-side to the HVA and 8000/9000 series actions is that there are few after-market stocks and accessories available for them, so if you like to modify an existing rifle or action to any significant degree, it will likely be more costly.

If I was going to build a 7x57 today, I'd be awfully tempted to do a NULA/CLR hybrid for $1500+/-.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Does anyone have a picture of a 1640 action that I could see.

Thanks Alot

Daron

After some research, it turns out that the pictures I posted are of the HVA 1640 action...

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks 260Remguy,

That helps. I'm still trying to find out what kind of gun this is. It may be more of a 98 than a 1640. It does look similar to a older FN action.

No finger groove
mauser bolt release

What is a NULA/CLR hybrid?

Thanks again

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HVA was simply a name stamped on the side. There never was a HVA action. Most actions that have the HVA stamp are 1640's but not all 1640 action's bare the stamp.

You stated the bolt shroud had a swing safety so it's not a 1640 unless it's been modified. You said if had a mauser style bolt release so that also rules it out completely. You said it was a small ring which rules out it being a FN action.

They made an action that fits your desciption to the T. The rifle it was used on was called a Husqvarna model 648 which came after the 640 and before the model 1640. Some of these actually used commercial M96 actions with no thumb cut which is probably the one you are looking at. It's not collectable but they didn't make very many of them. Below is a link to one for sale at Simpson LTD
HUSKY 648
This model had both large and small ring actions as far as I can tell. The one you describe sounds very much like a commecial M96 though. By the time these were introduced the metal was plenty strong enough to handle cartridges like the .270WIN. The only draw back is you don't get the extra safety features you do with a M98 of 1640 action. This doesn't seem to bother most people.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi guys,

There is on alot like it on gun broker.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101999154

Can anyone tell me what it is. Maybe I'll buy this one!

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.