-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 1,842 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 1841 1842
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tzone - I woke up in the middle of the night and started reviewing some threads like this that I hadn't seen in a while. Got a chuckle out of the birthdays in the mid June time period. Since today is my birthday I got a real chuckle out of the picture on Grogels posting. Somehow it seems familiar to me too!

Happy birthday to all of us born today.
Jim

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wooo!! happy birthday Jim & Tzone!!

See, you guys are a day older than me, my birthday is tomorrow grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Stan, the next time you manage to pull yourself in front of a computer to check the thread that you sticky'd.... it'll likely be at 16000 views cause i just now took notice that it is damn near there already!!

That's just crazy, what's wrong with you people? Don't you have work to do or something? grin

terrible long read here.

also I am pleased to announce plans of a future adventure.

Last night I locked in a group reservation for the BWCA (boundary waters canoe area)

For those that don't know of it, it's a protected & carefully managed forest area most of which is accessible by canoe only or backpacking, no motors allowed.

It's rugged old time real camping. It's the sort of thing that a kid remembers for the rest of there life, ask me how I know grin

It will be myself & Pam (Mrs. N Dave) and we will be taking our 3 kids as well as our cousin's 3 kids which we proudly refer to as our nieces & nephew.

We will be going over the weekend of the 4th of July, pretty much one year after the time we were holding the funeral for there father. We will be going in to the same lakes & taking the same path that I took with there father into the BWCA when us 2 dad cousins took our boys into BWCA for a camping trip about 4 years ago or so. I hope to stay at the same campsite that we stayed at.

I wanted to be doing something with the kids at that 1 year mark, it marks the single most toughest year in all of our lives without there father. I guess I just kind of figure it will be kind of a tough time & we all could use a little help with the idea that it's ok to continue on & to have fun, enjoy life & enjoy each other�s company. And I guess I'm just absolutely certain where the best place in the world to do that is.

The whole trip is sort of a salute in honor of a friend, a father, a brother that would definitely approve of the whole plan.

That's how it feels anyways, so I'm going with that.

Now I need to find a couple of canoes real fast!! grin

I've been watching craigslist for the Duluth area, found a couple of used aluminum Grumman 17 footers, we'll probably take 3 canoes total, I'll be looking to buy a pair & I'm sure we can borrow a 3rd.

I'll be wishing, hoping and maybe even praying for good weather.

We will take plenty of pictures!

Dave

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave,

You truly are a gentleman, I need to buy you a beer. Your doing a great thing for the kids.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we'll make our traditional stop at "cranberry's" in ely on out way out of the wilderness.

They have beer there... wink, wink... grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have another project to research. Anyone know the composition of the commercial "deer' mineral recipes out there? And I suppose the commercial elk and deer breeders know this stuff. I'll have to call a couple of them.

Two 50 lb. bags of Di Calcium Phosphate and one bag of brown mineral salt.
Break up the ground where you want the lick and mix all ingrediants together with the soil. The deer will literally eat a hole in the ground.
We started doing this twice a year. Once in the late August and once right after the snow left.
With in a few years we noticed quit a big difference in the antler quality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Last night I locked in a group reservation for the BWCA (boundary waters canoe area)

For those that don't know of it, it's a protected & carefully managed forest area most of which is accessible by canoe only or backpacking, no motors allowed.

Dave

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW)is a federally designated wilderness area. The state still manages the fish and game there. I worked for MNDNR Fisheries for the last 16 years there; Cook Co. portion. I studied the fish. I used to wake up from dreams of my big warm home bed, laying in a pool of stormwater and bugs. I friggen HATE CAMPING. I hate canoes, packs, portages, and god-!#$%^& happy tourists. I proved that I can get sick of any job. But, enough about me.

Anyway, the smallmouth should be finished spawning before the 4th (too bad). Some may still be guarding nests. Fish the underwater "saddles" between islands and stuff. They will be moving down to those sorts of areas. You can go pretty deep. Maybe to 30 feet. I used to take trips out of Ely too. I don't know where you are entering, but if you get to Thursday Bay, on the border, camp on that little island on the south end. There is an excellent underwater saddle between the north end of the island and the eastern shore. BIG bass and wawa. We're talking five-pound bass! I think my friend caught a state record there; over 6 pounds. But Bill didn't care and we ate it.
You can also have fun fishing the shorelines with small lures, catching baby bass and northerns. The kids usually love that.

A jig and twister tail usually works as good as anything; deep or shallow..
If I liked ya more, I'd keep typing. smile
Have fun.

Last edited by DPole; 06/17/08.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Two 50 lb. bags of Di Calcium Phosphate and one bag of brown mineral salt.

Thank you, sir. I'll add it to my list. I don't know what brown mineral salt is, but I'll figure it out.

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's awesome stuff Dpole, don't stop typing juss cuz ya don't like me grin .

I've been across burntside into crab, corb & cummings lakes a couple of times, found the smallmouth fishing in cummings to be very good, and of course some pretty big northerns.

My past 3 trips have been pretty simple trips up the Snake river to the isabella which dumps into gabro & bald eagle lakes. there is a narrows between the 2 lakes with some drop & a little bit of fast water. I've been told to fish that drop for walleyes & I've tried but with not a whole lot of luck.

actually I've done better for walleye at the mouth of the isabella.

But the main attraction for us in the gabro/bald eagle lakes.... and one other little honey hole.... are the huge northern pike.

Here, I'll show ya what I mean.

this is a bad photo, a still shot taken with kind of an older cam corder maybe about 5 years ago. That's a dried out northern pike skull we found at a campsite, that's my boot next to the fish skull. Someone caught this big bertha & ate her.
[Linked Image]

here's a 43 incher that the boy & I teamed up on in a hand over hand effort from the shoreline. Just a spool of black braided nylon, a bobber, a hook & an old stinky smelt. That was fun, The boy netted her for me. We ate her. (don't flame me, you'd have to be there to understand)
[Linked Image]

here's me & the boy cleaning the fish on the bottom side of a canoe.
[Linked Image]

fillet o fish.
[Linked Image]

here's that one single fish cooking in foil packs over an open fire, that is one meal I'll never forget, fantastic.
[Linked Image]

here's a preview of the campsite we hope to find open when we get there.

[Linked Image]

here's a shot of a portage, we stopped to take a photo of each other with the double packs. My cousin took this picture of me while I was getting one of him.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/doublepacks.jpg[/img]

And I just kind of like this picture so I tossed it in here. This is my cousin & I running through the narrowns I was talking about where the water spills from the one lake into the other. The kids wanted nothing to do with it at the time so they took this picture from shore & watched the 2 stupid dads have some fun.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/gabbrobaldeaglenarrows.jpg[/img]

I am so looking forward to this trip & digging up these old photos have really got me excited.

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stan, the next time you manage to pull yourself in front of a computer to check the thread that you sticky'd.... it'll likely be at 16000 views cause i just now took notice that it is damn near there already!!

That's just crazy, what's wrong with you people? Don't you have work to do or something? grin

terrible long read here.

also I am pleased to announce plans of a future adventure.

It's rugged old time real camping. It's the sort of thing that a kid remembers for the rest of there life, ask me how I know grin

It will be myself & Pam (Mrs. N Dave) and we will be taking our 3 kids as well as our cousin's 3 kids which we proudly refer to as our nieces & nephew.

We will be going over the weekend of the 4th of July, pretty much one year after the time we were holding the funeral for there father. We will be going in to the same lakes & taking the same path that I took with there father into the BWCA when us 2 dad cousins took our boys into BWCA for a camping trip about 4 years ago or so. I hope to stay at the same campsite that we stayed at.

I wanted to be doing something with the kids at that 1 year mark, it marks the single most toughest year in all of our lives without there father. I guess I just kind of figure it will be kind of a tough time & we all could use a little help with the idea that it's ok to continue on & to have fun, enjoy life & enjoy each other�s company. And I guess I'm just absolutely certain where the best place in the world to do that is.

The whole trip is sort of a salute in honor of a friend, a father, a brother that would definitely approve of the whole plan.

That's how it feels anyways, so I'm going with that.

Now I need to find a couple of canoes real fast!! grin

I've been watching craigslist for the Duluth area, found a couple of used aluminum Grumman 17 footers, we'll probably take 3 canoes total, I'll be looking to buy a pair & I'm sure we can borrow a 3rd.

I'll be wishing, hoping and maybe even praying for good weather.

We will take plenty of pictures!

Dave

Damn Dave , and you wonder why this thread has so many views ???

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gotta a Alumacraft 17 Queenswood you can borrow if you want to swing by and get it. It has many many BW miles on it. A little tiny leak and the portage pads are missing. But really perfectly servicible. If you're going to Ely you'll probably come withing 2 miles of my house. Give the word and I'll ready if for you.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
OK Craig, might be a good excuse to meet you & introduce my cohort of disorderly & somewhat misled followers grin

I set it up so we are to pick up our entry permit in ely at the woofy world.

we'll see how my canoe search goes. I hope to purchase a couple used alum 17' within the next week or so.

I have 2 17' alumacraft that I can borrow too, could pick them up in tower & the last time I used those 2 they had pads on them.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My past 3 trips have been pretty simple trips up the Snake river to the isabella which dumps into gabro & bald eagle lakes. there is a narrows between the 2 lakes with some drop & a little bit of fast water. I've been told to fish that drop for walleyes & I've tried but with not a whole lot of luck.

actually I've done better for walleye at the mouth of the isabella.

But the main attraction for us in the gabro/bald eagle lakes.... and one other little honey hole.... are the huge northern pike.

Just a spool of black braided nylon, a bobber, a hook & an old stinky smelt.
Dave

Been there. Its a good spot for slime balls, if you're into them. A dead bait is perfect starting early July when warm-water stress kills lots of fish. A slime ball can grow fast when they don't have to expend much energy picking up dead stuff from the bottom. The walleye are likely at the river mouth for the same thing, and of course, the extra oxygen provided by moving water.
I hope you forgive me for not being impressed with big fish pictures. After spending so many years gill netting in super slime-ball lakes, I've seen some amazing fish. You should have seen some of the big fellas I've netted out of Saganaga, Big Pine, etc.
I hope the weather cooperates for you, and don't lose your food pack to those sneaky bears. We have bears that stake out portages, waiting for tourists to leave food packs at one end, so they can steal the packs.

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't doubt you've seen some real monster pike net testing some of those lakes. I commented something to the effect of "don't flame me" for cooking that 43 incher... and that goes right along with your comments here, we ate that one without thinking twice about it, she was just a baby fish compared to some of the true big ones out in those lakes. Common, "good eater" grin

I think we'll drag a canoe over to turtle just to the east & try to get some of those lonely hogs to bite on artificial lures.

Hey Dpole, what's with the snapping turtles? Is there a certain time of year that they become extremely active & visible?

Last time I was in there was about ... same time I guess, 4th of july weekend. Anyways, snapping turtles, everywhere!! Huge!!

We couldn't leave stringers out because they would come in & shred the fish off the stringers, we caught one big snapper on a dead bait rig set for northern, that was interesting..... then we walked into turtle lake & we had snapping turtles following up artificial lures cast from shore.

then we stop in tower on the way out, heading back home. We stop to drop off a canoe I had borrowed & my friends mom is a nurse in Virginia, she tells us over the weekend they had a lady in the ER that was wake boarding, water skiing or something like that out in the lake in deep water & she had a very large snapper chomp her leg & try to pull her to the bottom. Leg was all tore up.

Any of that make any sense to you? did we just have a crazy turtle weekend or ?

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank you, sir. I'll add it to my list. I don't know what brown mineral salt is, but I'll figure it out.

Think brown colored salt block in granular form. Its basically just plain salt with trace elements added.
Incidentally all of the stuff I mentioned is available from any good Elevator. And its much cheaper than buying the pre blended/packaged stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I release most of my fish, I have no problem with anybody eating anything they catch. I'm not one of those aloof guys that pretend they release because its moral. We all know they are just too lazy to clean 'em. smile

Snapping turtles are really good to eat. Probably way better than that old yellow slimer fillet you ate. That pike musta been eating some crawfish too, or had spent lots of time in warm water; they're often white-fleshed (and good eating) by the time they get over five pounds or so. Its all in the diet and/or water temp. They are usually yellow at small size because their diet includes insects and crawfish; when they move to an all-fish diet, they get white. Big pike like deep open water. Caught out of cold water, and having a cisco (for example) diet, a big, white-fleshed pike can be excellent table fare. But, I'm a bit spoiled, having all the trout, walleye, and cisco I want to eat.

Turtles are most active when its warm. They were probably there to eat the same dead stuff that the slimers were there for. Anyway, its called "turtle lake" for some reason?

And don't think your food pack will be safe just because you hang it from a tree, like most folks think. Them bears can be quite the acrobats.

[Linked Image]

Turtles like dead, stinky stuff. Was that waterskiing lady.......... oh, never mind. I better not go there.

Last edited by DPole; 06/18/08.

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
sneaky rascals!!

that's how we string the food up too, on a line between 2 trees.

just goes to show, if they want it, they are going to get it. I haven't lost food to the bears yet, but we've just been lucky that way.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, Dave, I just read this whole thread between last night and today, and I'm just absolutely AMAZED!!!! Speechless even!!!
Just, WOW, AWESOME!!!

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Think brown colored salt block in granular form. Its basically just plain salt with trace elements added.
Incidentally all of the stuff I mentioned is available from any good Elevator. And its much cheaper than buying the pre blended/packaged stuff.

Looks like you have a great blend. I have a fair understanding of Physiology, so I know about the body's use of "salt." What got me started is that I figured that "salt blocks" were probably sodium chloride (NaCl), providing sodium, an important element, but calcium and phosphrous are really what we would want in large quantity for building bones. "Road salts" can be a mix of "salts", but its my understanding that road salts are mainly calcium chloride (CaCl).

After doing some googling, its my understanding that the white salt blocks are mainly NaCl (sodium), with no calcium. Trace mineral blocks contain very little, if any CaCl (calcium). So I am feeding the deer no calcium by giving them both trace mineral blocks and "salt" blocks (the white ones). Some of the commercial deer blocks/mineral blocks sold by deer specialty guys have calcium added to them, specifically for improved antler growth.
I went to a feed store in SE Minnesota in about 1981 and had the guys make me some special feed for the deer. They said it had lots of soy bean meal for protein and lots of added calcium. I wondered where the calcium came from. I figured maybe ground limestone, but I didn't know. blush I never asked. The nearest decent feed store to me now is about 120 miles away, so Ive put off asking them.

Anyway, it looks like I need a bunch of dicalcium phosphate. Thanks for the info.

Here is one of the articles I found that helped me:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/Articles.aspx?ArticleName=buildingblocks

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks to Her1911 we have an update on Stan. It sounds like he's on the mend at home.

Very relieved to hear this news. Get well soon Stan.

Over the weekend I had my 11 year old boy & 3 of his buddies out to deer camp. They all had dirt bikes & I had my 4 wheeler. I led them on a trail ride through forest trails up north of camp about 10 miles or so on trails to a large gravel pit & let them ride in the pits. I brought along a pack of hot dogs & a one burner coleman stove & cooked up some hot dogs while they rode. We had a little lunch there, rode some more, then made our way back to camp on the trails.

man those kids can play hard!! If they weren't riding dirt bikes they were swimming in the little pond by the shack. We cooked on the charcoal grill, had an awesome bon fire and a couple of my friends stopped out to visit & keep me company while the kids played. Pretty good weekend, I bet all of those boys are sleeping in this morning.

Dave

Something clever here.

Page 40 of 1,842 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.