-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ladies and Gents, Anyone care to share a Jambalaya recipe for a 12" Dutch Oven. My brother, dad and I are always trying to out-do eachother at our backyard cookoffs. I have a couple "practice" weekends before the next cookoff. I was thinking chicken and Redneck Andoullie sausages, and probably a combination of converted and wild rice. Other than that I'm lost. Not much out there for Dutch Oven forums frown

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan there are a lot of different ways to make Jambalaya. The one I like is a red or New Orleans Creole style. I like it better than the brown which is more Cajun.Just personal taste.

1 pound cubed chicken
AND/OR

1 pound peeled shrimp
1 pound firm fish
1 pound smoked sausage andouille if you can get it
1 pound smoked ham cubed.

any combination of the above just so you got two pounds or more meat.

1 large yellow onion chopped
4 ribs of celery chopped
1 bell pepper seeded and chopped

This is the Trinity, remember that
3-6 cloves garlic to taste I like a lot
3 small cans tomato paste
1 28 oz can tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes peel and seed.

8 cups chicken stock homemade if you got it.

In the bottom of your DO put a little oil and brown the chicken. Sprinkle a little seasoning over it (if you are using leftover cooked chicken skip this but it will still need some seasoning) Take out chicken and brown your cut up sausage until it starts to leave some more grease in the pot. Take it out. In the oil that is left saute the Trinity and garlic just untill the onions are clear. Add tomato paste and brown it just a little to improve flavor. Keep stiring or it will burn easy. If it does start over.

Once the paste assumes a sort of brown red mahogany color deglaze the pot with @ 2 cups of stock. What you have should be fairly thick.

Add Creole seasoning, tomatoes, salt to taste. Add the meat and cook over low hear for about 10 minutes. If you are using seafood don't overcook.

2-3 T spoons Creole seasoning if you don't have it in Montana then make your own ( 2t cayenne 2 t black pepper 1 t white pepper 1t oregano 1/2 t thyme)

2 bay leaves

Salt

4 cups raw rice

Put a bit of oil in the pot and saute the chicken (don't if using leftover cooked but sprinkle some seasoning on it) and the sausage. When nice and brown take it out and saute the Trinity and garlic until the onion is clear. Add tomato paste and stir like the devil while it browns. You want a red mahogny color. It burns easy so be carefull but this step really adds to flavor.

Deglaze with @ 2 cups stock and combine well. Should be fairly thick.

Add Creole seasoning, tomatoes, salt to taste. Cook over low medium heat @ 10 minutes. Add meat and cook another 10 or so.
Be carefull not to over cook if you are using seafood.

Add the rest of the stock, stir in the rice. Important!! Check flavor before adding rice it is too late after. Cover pot and cook 20-25 more minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid it will.

Uncover and turn heat down to low, stir often and let Jambalaya thicken up to where you like it.

There you are.

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.