Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 39 40
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice wood! I notice they're both straight stocks.. I've never been able to shoot one of those comfortably; my wrist just doesn't seem to wanna bend that much.. laugh

Very nice examples of Winchester shotguns..

AsphaltCowboy, I really appreciate the information you gave above.. I had absolutely NO knowledge of that process at all.. How do you do the actual fuming process? You mentioned a 'barrel'.. ???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
those 101's sure are nice. Winchester could sure build a great shotgun that pointed great. Those are two of the cleanest I have ever seen.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
firstcoueswas80
how do you like the Franchi? Everybody I talked to say they kick but they look so good I have thought about buying one anyway....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Redneck
AsphaltCowboy, I really appreciate the information you gave above.. I had absolutely NO knowledge of that process at all.. How do you do the actual fuming process? You mentioned a 'barrel'.. ???

It's so easy even a cave man could do it. whistle

Be forewarned; once you fume, it CAN NOT be undone. Unlike stain which can be sanded out ammonia fuming is through and through. A four inch square of say maple will be the same color in it's center as it is on the outer surface.

The barrel I use is one of the cardboard dry chemical barrels that our plastic colorant comes in at work. You could simply use a large trash bag, but I always worry about the ammonia gettin' spilt so I use the barrel.

Of all the hardwoods I've no idea which contain tannic acid naturally other than walnut and oak. You won't need it for those. Maple for sure does not, and will need treated. I can't remember for sure about cherry.

Since a quart size tea bag is more convenient and cheaper than buying tannic acid I use those. Put the tea bag in a standard 12oz coffee mug, fill 3/4 or so with water and nuke it in the micro-wave to brew and then let cool.

You can put this on naked wood at any time, but I wait until I'm ready to whisker the stock and use the tea for my first whisker. Just slobber it on and let the stock dry, you can whisker or not afterwards, your choice.

Now for the ammonia and be careful with that stuff, it can strangle ya', best done in a well ventilated area or better yet outside. Half a cup is more than plenty. Put a small dish of some sort in the bottom of the barrel over at the edge where you wont bump it with the stock and pour a bit of ammonia into it. Next place your stock in and cover the barrel. If you use a bag just tie the top shut or clip with a large enough cloths pin or something.

Some woods will react faster and get darker than others, depends on how hard and dense it is. Each individual piece of wood is different. Harder=slower not as dark, softer=faster and darker (this applies to blond woods like maple, walnuts can actually turn black). For a one piece stock of rock maple I just put it in and forget it, Two piece sets can get tricky, unless you specifically requested it you seldom get a forearm blank which was cut from the same area of the wood slab. Even a piece from the same tree may react differently. For these I recommend a simple egg timer. The butt usually is the hardest, so fume it first. Check frequently and when it looks dark enough remove it. The process stops almost immediately. Here is where you really need the egg timer (and where I screwed the pooch with my A5). Set the timer in five minute intervals and check the progress. You can touch it, the ammonia won't harm your hands unless you're sensitive, so take it out and compare it to the butt. When the color starts getting close set the timer for shorter intervals until you get a match. The wood will take on a nasty yuck look on the surface, just ignore that it'll sand off when you do your whisker.

You've really got to watch walnut, too much time in the fumes and it can often turn black or near to it. You can also almost, get a faux ebony if you leave it overnight or longer.

I've had a lousy day so if I've confused you with any of this, let me know, I'll clear it up tomorrow when my head is where it belongs.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I understand all of it but the tea.. What's the tea for in this process??

I can't wait to try this.... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not cowboy, but the tea is another way to bring out the color/contrast as opposed to using ammonia.

You might want to use the tea on walnut, or oak.

If I am wrong please tell me, but I think this is what he was saying.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hmmm... Now, I wonder just who discovered this in the first place? laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
somebody most likely spilled some on a piece of wood and said "hey look at this".....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LMAO... I think you're EXACTLY right...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry for the confussion guys. I had what had to be the worst day in fifteen years at work yesterday and I,,, well, I had my head up my butt and wasn't thinking to clearly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's see if I can clear this up fer y'all.

Tannic acid (it's what's in the tea) and ammonia are what creats the reaction in the wood. Some woods have tannic acid in them and some don't.

Walnuts and oaks already have tannic acid in them. Mother nature put it there so's we don't have to. Ain't that cool of her?
Maple and some of the other blond hardwoods don't have tanic acid so we have to put it on the wood. Mother nature makes us waste a perfectly good teabag. But it's a fair trade if'n ya' ask me, considering what we get in return.

I'm not sure where he got it from, but I found it in Roy Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" If you don't have one I strongly recommend it. Goood reading.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by pullit
firstcoueswas80
how do you like the Franchi? Everybody I talked to say they kick but they look so good I have thought about buying one anyway....

I love that Franchi! I got it in trade a few years ago for super cheap. The wood on it is amazing, and I can actually shoot the damn thing! I shoot instinctive, so I never use the bead but I can still hit chit! It fits me like a glove, which is surprising as I am 6'3 280 lbs. I have never notice it kicking like a mule. My 870 knocks me pretty good with 3" #4 buck shot for coyotes and jack rabbits.

I love my Franchi! Compared to a 20 guage, it is a little heavy but it performs flawlessly and sits me well!

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
got any pictures of the whole stock? I really love nice wood.
You and I are about the same size. I am 6'4" and I have lost a little weight (I am on a diet). I was 279 and I am 263 now.
It is hard to find a gun with long enough length of pull.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]
FN-Browning B 25 "Sp�cial Chasse", 12 ga

[Linked Image]
Close up of above engraving

[Linked Image]
Browning B525 "Prestige", 12 ga 3"

[Linked Image]
J. Bury, 20 ga

[Linked Image]
Webley & Scott 700, 12 ga

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those look especially yummy... Beautiful wood on that 525.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy
I'm not sure where he got it from, but I found it in Roy Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" If you don't have one I strongly recommend it. Goood reading.
I know I've had that book but OF COURSE I can't find it right now..

Grrr

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
man those are nice.
I am so glad I started this thread. I did not know there where this many guy's and gal's on here that had great looking shotguns. I thought everybody just had rifles grin

Please keep the pictures coming I am learning alot about models of guns I have not seen before...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
This is about the best that I have.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Actually, the wood on the gold inlayed B 25 is nicer. This pic shows it better:
[Linked Image]
While this is not a shotgun but a FN-Browning CCS25 9,3x74R double rifle, it's a close enough parent of the above :
[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WOW... Whatta rifle!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
firstcoueswas80
I would have bought that one as well....that is some nice figure in that wood.

Page 3 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
826 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 70 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,218
Posts18,371,044
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.