Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I will be pushing them from a .270 and get about 3000fps with 140gr stuff. I limit my shots at deer to about 400yards but for coyotes any safe shot will be taken. Im looking for a balance of terminal performance with a good BC. Im thinking of either the BT, Bergers or Hornady 140 BTSP.

Thanks for any info guys.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to shoot "Hunter Class" silhouette with .270 Win and 140 Ballistic Tips. Never had any trouble tipping the Rams at 500 meters. Any of the High BC hunting bullets will carry the energy for you, find the most accurate in your rifle.

Not much help I know,
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use to use 130 grain bullets but now I load the hornady interlock 140 grain boattail for my remington 270 mountain rifle. I've bagged two muleys and one elk with it but they were all within 100 yards. Two seasons ago I shot at a nice buck with it but missed at about 600 yards. The whole herd ran past me at about 100 yards and I hit him twice and now his antlers are on the wall.

My long range rig now is a winchester 70 sporter 25-06 with a 117 grain hornady interlock boattail at about 100 fps more than the 270 and maybe a bit better sectional density.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
The 140 Hornady was always good to me before but I only killed a few deer with it. I have not had a .270 for about 15 years and was looking at something new. I was hoping the Berger would be a little more streamlined, might just stick with the Hornady or go with the e-tip. The way California is going Im sure the whole state will be lead free soon.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I no longer shoot the .270W, but if I did my bullets of choice would be the 140 Ballistic tip and Accubond!

Brass would be Winchester if not Norma.

Powder would be H4831 or H4831SC.

I think 3000MV and 400yds are VERY realistic.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess first off I'm wondering what is long range to you and secondly you are using a LRF right?

I am a 270 nut case and have it used it quite a bit on game out at long range.

I'd take a close look at the 135 SMK (I took out one deer at a 500 with this load), the new Bergers and the 140 Accu. The 130/140 or 150 NBT will do you very well as well.

Good luck to ya

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I prefer the 180 grain roundnose Barnes originals.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love those B Tips in that cal.--decent BC's too. The 140 in that cal. was responsible for 1 of the longest shots of my life.

I was out once with mom (she likes to spot) couple years ago and we were gonna do some rock shooting at long-range with a buddies 270 WSM Nesika Bay Round action and some big custom barrel of some sort, set up in a McMillan stock. It had an 8.5-25X Leup. on top and i'd just run the ballistics of the 140 gr. load (3000 fps i think), and only had the printout with me. We walked out on a low rise and thought i'd sit down for a minute to see if i could howl up a coyote before we started testing the load at long-range. Sure enuf one stood up from his bed about 500 yds. off, and started approaching us at a tangent. He ran into some antelope that gave chase to him, and he took off outta there. They gave up on him and he started to slow down way out there, and stopped quartering toward me on a low rise. I was trying to get mom on him, laser him, and get set up for the shot all at the same time. Somehow it all came together and i got the clicks ran into the Leupold from the ballistics printout for the lasered 775 yds. I acquired the dog in the scope as quick as possible and touched it off. The big rig recoiled a little but cam eback down on the short Harris pod just in time for me to watch him tip over dead. I about jumped for joy on that shot. Mom didn't even comprehend what had just happened, and she told me to keep quiet in case i spooked something else. Turned out to be a mange dog. That's 1 shot i'll cherish for a lifetime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
:)Now dats a great yote story! I can't wait till Dec/Jan to get after them again this winter.

Thx 4 sharing

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't used much but Ballistic Tips in my 270, but it's hard to imagine anything working better than them, although I am sure some other bullets are as good. My 270s have killed a couple of bear, a couple of sheep, probably close to a dozen elk, and 6 or 7 dozen deer and a few dozen antelope in my hands and while on loan. Several of the shots were over 400 yards, and a couple WAY over. My buddy used my rifle with the BTs to take a Wyoming mule deer that missed B&C by about 4 points at somewhere around 500 yards- ( He lasered it, I just can't remember)
For What it's worth.

Fred

Last edited by Royce; 06/30/08.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Great info guys. I have a LRF and will limit my shots to 400 on deer but I have a 672yard coyote and a couple dang close misses out to about 900 yards. I never worried about starting slow, no big deal to add comeups, but I am always lured by a high BC to help with wind. My setups are typically cross canyon and I can get a pretty good read around me and at the target location for wind but what is happening in the middle is often SWAG.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
140 Hornady BTSP is one of my favorite bullets for all around deer work in the .270. It expands quickly out to long range and holds together well enough for shoulder shots on deer sized game up close.

Lou

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Long ago and far away in a place known as Southwestern Montana, the monster mulies had I.Q's about 30 points higher than mine. To make up the difference I used 140 grain Partitions and a heafty dose of H4831, because I never knew if the shot was going to be 50 feet or 500 yards. Lots of nice mulies didn't like that 270 load much. smile

Wayne

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use 140gr Accubonds in my 270WSM's. Longest shot was 440yrds at a mulie buck by my wife (fiance at the time). Folded the 160 class buck. She then took a cow elk that season too @ about 200. Good thing she put the food on the table that year. She also took a bull moose @ 350 yrds in 2006. Double Lung complete pass thrus. I told her to shoot again as I did not want the bull to make it into the timber. 2nd shot has the same as the first. The bull dropped. Her cow elk was last season was @ about 200yrds and it fell in its tracks. My wife was shooting the factory Winchester Supreme Accubonds. Now its my reloads.

Longest for me was elk at ranges from 200 -300 yrds with my 270WSM. Same results- complete pass thrus double lungs. This 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds has sure impressed me. I use Retumbo @ close to 3300 ft/s.

The accubonds have impressed me so much in the 270WSM and my 300WM that I traded all my TSX for both cailbers for Accubonds.

All recovered 140gr Accubonds retained between 65-80% of their weights- but as I mentioned most have been complete pass trhu penetrations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've killed around 150 whitetails with the hornady 140 btsp.if i were going to just hunt coyotes i'd load down to 100-110gn bullets in my 270,i bet i've killed a few thousand groundhogs with lighter bullets in mine.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
It still boggles my mind that guys can have so much experience on deer. I have been chasing public land deer in California for about 15years and I am dang proud of taking 11 mature deer when the overall success level hovers at about 10%....

Now pigs are another story, as far as most ranchers are concerned they are overgrown rodents, just dont ask to shoot deer. The average buck to doe ratio is about 25-100, 35-100 is great. Deer density are extremely low, well under 50 per square mile, usually about 25, but if we ever get to hunt cats again there are some toads out there after 15 years of complete protection.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+1 on 140 Accubonds in 270 WSM; great performance on game and deadly accurate in my NULA.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
+another 140 accubond. perfect

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just remembered another HUNTING LOAD for the 270 Win. I worked up for a buddy of mine.

150 Partition and more H4831 than I will publish (safe in rifles used)
4 1 shot Bang/Flops from 180 to 400 yards on BC Whitetails, smallest of which was 260 lbs + Dressed. Of course you do have to hit them in the right place too.

Outfitter wanted the recipe, had to tell him it was an old family secret.

Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My old 270 Win loved the 130 gr NBT - shot caribou, mountain goat and deer with it. It also did well with the 140 gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, and gave good performance on moose.
My old 270 Weatherby liked 130 gr NP's and accounted for my first elk and a couple of moose.
My 270 WSM really liked the 140 gr AccuBonds, shooting less than 1/2" groups. Never harvested any game with it, but performance on other game with the AccuBonds from my other rifles leave me very confident in its abilities.
My new to me, 270 Weatherby (rechambered Browning High Wall), is really liking Barnes 110 gr TSX and T-TSX's at 3750 fps! Still working on load development, but will be my new long range coyote rifle (and may be used on whitetails as well).

Try a few different bullets and see which one your rifle prefers.
But with the lead ban, Barnes and Bergers and Nosler's new E-Tips may be your only choices.
Good Luck, and enjoy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot several deer with 130 Hornady's always with good results but tried the 140 btsp this year. Shot a nice buck at about seventy yards, got complete pass through with a qurter sized exit . Deer ran the usual distance but I had a much better blood trail than I have ever had. For Long distance I would think the 140 would be a good choice.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 49 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,301
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.