Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is it me, or have rifles become more accurate with the arrival of the Internets? Or maybe it's us...

---

Not too long ago, out of the box, big game hunting rifles were shooting 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yd. Handloads could reduce that to about an inch. Smaller calibers like the 223 could often manage .75 to 1 inch, shot from factory rifles. That's changed. With the invention of the Internets, groups have shrunk considerably. I never realized how much influence Bill Gates and his techno-geeks truly had!

Gun companies say that technological improvements have made modern firearms manufacturing more consistent. Ammunition companies too, talk about more uniform construction, saying that assembly techniques are better than ever. There�s no reason to doubt their assertions, but these are just two of the three things that produce superb accuracy. People are the third part and affect the result more so than anything else. And boy, have humans ever had an impact!

According to the Internets, group size has gone down markedly over the last twenty years. You can find evidence of this by opening your browser and 'Googling' shooting/hunting performance. You'll find tons of testimonials, complete with pictures and witnesses. We have evolved. Our training has improved. We now possess superior mental discipline. We can shrug off the pressures associated with competition shooting or the jitters caused by buck fever. Good old cyberspace! What would we have done without you?

With all that proof, I must accept that humans have become better�

Okay, maybe not, so it has to be our rifles, right?

Today�s rifles truly are technological marvels of our modern age. They are magical! It�s a mystical combination of the Force (from Star Wars) and the wizardry of Lord of the Rings. Yeah, yeah, but I got proof! Despite manufacturing short cuts, poor quality control and the increased use of polymers, groups have continued to shrink. Strange isn't it? Regardless of the complaints from hunters and shooters about crappy, flexible stocks, heavy, lawyer proof triggers and so-so stock/action fit, I keep reading about out of the box accuracy being better than ever before. I read this stuff on hunting and shooting forums...on the Internets.

Some might say that you can't have it both ways. Shooters must be telling fibs, because we cannot have poorly made, butt ugly, ill fitting firearms that shoot better groups than competition rifles! Well, I'm sorry, but the evidence isn't there, folks. Google, and the Internets, do not lie.

In fact, with improvements coming so fast, we will soon be shooting groups smaller than the diameter of the bullets we launch!

At the rate we're going, shooters should be bug holing with econo-guns by the end of the decade. It sure looks that way. It seems that we'll be doing it with ten lb trigger pulls, using assemblies made from pot metal parts, housed in ugly, limp and shoddily made plastic stocks. All this will be attached to less metallic versions of traditional rifle actions, assembled by numpties, using poorly constructed, off shore parts. The worse rifles get, the better they�ll shoot! Wow!

I know what you're thinking, but it has to be true because the evidence is floating around in cyberspace.

Last edited by Steve Redgwell; 07/02/08.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since 1962 Remington has made the same 700, it's accurate as it ever was, no rocket science or magic there.

It's all very simple Steve, more people handload better more accurate bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a couple thoughts.

1. The internet HAS affected the accuracy of rifles and ammo. Today the manufacturers are under more pressure to "get it right" every time (i.e., high level of precision) because the internet has brought information transfer to the masses, and a problem with a gun in Alaska in the past that probably wouldn't be known by a guy in Texas can be found out in a matter of days. Similarly, good news travels fast, too. Therefore, bad manufacturers get punished more, and good manufacturers get rewarded more than in the past, causing a migration in buying patterns. Cheap is still a reason a lot of people buy, but if you have a choice between an inexpensive gun that will really shoot well and one that won't, which are you going to buy?

2. The internet has led to a greater awareness of what our tools will do when the nut behind the stock is appropriately tightened. Thus, there is a pursuit of sub-MOA accuracy in guns because sub-moa guns do exist in large numbers.

There is a caveat, though. I think deep down most of us know that our guns can shoot somewhat (ok, maybe a lot) better than we can. Thus, if we get multiple sub-moa groups from a rifle, we conclude that it is a sub-moa gun because "when we do our part" it is a sub-moa gun. Now, the fact of the matter may be that it is really a 1.1 or 1.25 MOA gun, and the sub-moa groups represent groups out past one standard deviation on the bell curve. However, if a gun will shoot sub-moa groups more than most of the time (say 70% of the groups) when I'm in practice and I can call the fliers at the trigger pull for most of the rest of the groups, I tend to believe that the gun is a sub-moa gun.

3. Obviously there is some selectivity in reporting results. We don't usually hear about the four groups that ranged from 1.3" to 1.8" to go along with the fifth group that happened to go under an inch. That seems to be human nature. Of course, every once in a while you might run across a "fish story," too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The run of the mill firearm still has about the same abilities as in the past. What the internet does is provide a platform where folks like us, that are widely dispersed but a little more passionate and demanding about our pursuits, can gather and discuss things.

Joe public brings his arms out a week before the season and closets them about 2 days after the season. Likely he does not come here and may not know that a 30-30, 30-378, and 300 Winchester Mag can pass the same bullets down the tube. The 1 or 2% of the public that frequent sites like this are probably seeing some slight performance increases, simply because we are more quickly exposed to some of the obscure tweaks etc that can help ones performance. It's a bit like any other endeavor though. In the beginning substantial improvement can come in a hurry. With refined equipment and technique though, improvement may be measured in 100ths of an inch and be a little less apparent.

I haven't gone bench rest yet, but I do know some of the hints that have been offered up here have rectified some issues on several of my firearms. Most prominent for me have been pointers on bedding, reloading, and truing up actions. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fact, with improvements coming so fast, we will soon be shooting groups smaller than the diameter of the bullets we launch!

Allready happening. 1/4" groups from a .30 cal aren`t all that rare anymore.
I think RR has a point. We tend to dwell on the good groups and forget about the bad. I`ve no doubt people shoot some very tiny holes. I just believe they also have more larger groups they blame on wind or the guys muzzel brake on the next bench then they maybe should.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My 30-06 Win M70 stainless classic out of the box would shoot 1.25MOA groups consistantly with Federal Premium ammo when I bought it in 1995. I have since restocked, rescoped and reloaded for the rifle. It shoots pretty consistant at 3/4 MOA with my handloads. I have gotten 1/4 MOA with it but I havent been able to repeat it in that gun. I have yet to see a rifle shoot sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The worst guns produced today are worse than the worst guns produced 50 years ago. The best guns produced today are better than the best guns produced 50 years ago. The worst optics produced today, are likely better than the best optics produced 50 years ago. The best optics produced today are a quantum leap or two beyond the best optics produced 50 years ago. The worst bullets produced today are equal to or superior to the best bullets produced 50 years ago, while the best bullets are so far beyond anything dreamed of then that it's indescribable.

So, despite the heartfelt needs of the doom-sayers -- firearms, optics and bullet technologies have advanced tremendously in the past half-century. Add in information transfer through the Internet, plus a greatly elevated standard of living that allows many more of us the discretion to experiment, shoot and hunt far more than our parents could -- and it's no surprise we're getting better at it.

And then, of course, some people do exxagerate their accomplishments grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I do think we shoot better. At least, gun nuts do. I don't know that your average 2 shots a year shooter has been impacted one way or the other.

The equipment and components are more consistent. Optics, bases, bullets, powders, primers, barrels, etc. But there are human elements as well, for one, we're sharing information about _how_ to do it. Another factor is that knowing someone else did it, we actually try harder rather than accepting mediocrity and mere adequacy as "the best we can do."

Least wise, that's what I think I see happening, and the internet is a major facilitator of the human parts of that.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 1minute

Joe public brings his arms out a week before the season and closets them about 2 days after the season. Likely he does not come here and may not know that a 30-30, 30-378, and 300 Winchester Mag can pass the same bullets down the tube.

Your accurate assesment is backed up by conversatiions I have had with guys I work with.
One guy owns 350 acres of good deer hunting land in west Texas. His family and friends hunt half of it and he leases out the other half. He was astounded when I told him my 7mm rem Mag is a smaller caliber than his 30-06, I don't think he even believed me. I think he should have known.

Another guy has a .45 ACP pistol and is sort of in the market for a smaller gun. We were discussing .38 Special and 9mm pistols and he kept asking how big were they. When I realized he was meaning physical size of the firearm, I explained you could get a given caliber in several different size of pistols, he had the hardest time grasping that, and may still not understand.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by muledeer
And then, of course, some people do exxagerate their accomplishments grin.

Dennis

That seems to be it in a nutshell.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it's more like target envy.

Just for you Steve. grin Stock rifle with pressures points still attached.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/su35/IMG_3827.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Muledeer: My head hurts. I think I need to go take a nap. Yes, if one is willing to pay for and exploit all the technology available today, he/she should be able to acquire or develop a true nail driver. I don't have the $$$ for that yet, but enjoy milking the most from what I do have.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Factory ammo is better today.
I have owned several rifles since the 1960s and have records of how they shot various Super-X, Peters and Federal loads into 1.5 inch groups. 1.O MOA required handloading. Today, those rifles shoot sub MOA with many factory loads.

Also, most of the loads posted are the accurate ones. The 1.5 and 2.0 MOA loads are the ones we tried and wrote off. Everybody that has accurate rifles has some accurate rifles that don't like some loads.

Forums like this and competiton forums spread the word about good and bad rifles and loads, so individuals don't have to make the same mistakes and reinvent the wheel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Muledeer: My head hurts. I think I need to go take a nap. Yes, if one is willing to pay for and exploit all the technology available today, he/she should be able to acquire or develop a true nail driver. I don't have the $$$ for that yet, but enjoy milking the most from what I do have.

+1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bull Pucky.

You can take any factory off the shelf Sako, Rem, Win, Savage and shoot sub moa.

With the right load.

If you can't, it's not the rifle or the loads fault.

Please tell me what part of exaggeration is this from a
from a rifle designed 50 years ago.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/su35/IMG_0435.jpg[/img][/img]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anybody can post a target pic with a good group on it.Means nothing.1/4 " groups standard and any factory rifle can do it bone ass stock.I don`t think so.In fact would be willing to bet a large amount of money on it.People shoot a good group save the target and call their rifle a sub Min. of angle or what ever.Rifle has to do it every time to get that designation.I have shot BR for years and been to the Super Shoot.I know what you have to do to a Rifle to get bug groups and the practice needed to do it.Thats why I am calling Bullchit!!!!The only thing the Internet has done for shooting is get all the BS`rs together where they try to out lie each other!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
You can take any factory off the shelf Sako, Rem, Win, Savage and shoot sub moa.

SU: "ANY" is a pretty all-inclusive word. (kinda like "never" and "always"...which hardly ever apply to rifles in the real world)

But I'll take that bet. I have no doubt that I can find a "off the shelf" (read unaltered) factory rifle of one of the brands that you mentioned, that will not shoot MOA, no matter how many different handloads you run through it.

Now, I'll agree that most factory rifles are made to closer standards than they were 50 yrs ago. And I'll agree that most bullets and brass, and primers are made to closer standards. But your statement goes a little far, IMO. .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz

The only thing the Internet has done for shooting is get all the BS`rs together where they try to out lie each other!!!!

Good to see you've joined all us BS'rs on the net....... whistle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can call it all you want but if I don't shoot a sub moa group today it's because of one of two things.

It was my fault or temp sensitive powder of which I've seen groups go to hello with a 40 degree temp change.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I weigh my accuracy hunting loads in my 7x57, 280 and 30.06. I try to record each group on days that are not gusting or if I call one. I add and average each to the group. There are 25+ groups with each gun. the 7x57 and 30-06 have shot a 1/2-2" spread. The 280 from .26-1.3". The average, and what I tell everbody is that my 7x57 shoots 1.20" the 30-06 shoots 1.27" and the 280 shoots .80". If I throw out the best and worst couple of groups, the size is virtualy un-changed. To me this simply means taht they are more flukes than anything. But, I keep those good groups to show, hehe. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.