Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Agreed. Unfortunately "the rules" (Hague Convention) are part of the problem with the 5.56...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If the 5.56 is not a man stopper, we should have no problem finding volunteers to take one in the chest to prove the point...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Step up to the plate then. I can't tell if your post is serious or in jest?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hague hasn't stopped 77bthp performance.... which has been stellar according to my contacts.

The parts I know are that the 6.8 is designed by someone in the right place... that does not mean that it is the ideal round.

To me there is a no mans land there that doesn't need to be touched.... what the 223 cant' do, the 308 can and has... and we've all the experience behind it plus its a nato round...

Where does the 6.8 or even 6.5 leave use with many issues? Parts? Ammo compatability, etc..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by TacticalSquirrel
Step up to the plate then. I can't tell if your post is serious or in jest?

There will be no volunteers because the 5.56 is very lethal. I hope that clears up my perspective.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There was 2 problems with the M16 and the 55 gr ball ammo. 1, the 16 at first didnt have a foward assist and even when one was put on it you still couldnt chamber a round if there was a peice of dirt or stubble in the action, 2 the ball ammo was a stopper if you could hit him the problem was charlie wasnt standing in the open he was behind brush and trees the ball whould hit the object and take off for parts unknown. Ive seen guys hit in the upperleg the ball follow the bone up and bounce around their gut, the 55 is not a jungle warfare round and neither is the M16 a jungle warfare rifle. 30 cal battle rifles rule. danny

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Planemech
JOG, I mean the StG44 which was widely made and issued on the eastern front chambered to 7.92x33. I t had a large influence on the Russians so much the AK47 was born. The StG45 was to be a cheaper/faster to make replacement for the StG44 and only 30 prototypes were ever made. You might be thinking of the G43/K43 semi-auto rifle chambered to 7.92x57. It was not a select fire weapon and not all that well received for various reasons.

Look very hard at the StG44 and then at every "assault rifle" to come down the pipe since. You can say what you want about the Russian captain he didn't get them to change their minds, the StG44 in the hands of the Germans did.

First off, I wasn't talking about the Gewehr 43.

Next; that may very well be true, but he still did it FIRST.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
As to brush deflection, its been shown that what folks think deflects the easiest, and what deflects the least is generally totally opposite in truth....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I always felt OK with the 5.56 when overseas Rost- we don't disagree. My comment on the .257/6.8SPC was tounge in cheek. The ballisitic testers I have seen give the better wounding to the 110 6.8 load over the various 120+ 6.5 Grendel loads. My comments on the Grendel focus on the fact that they think the 800m performance is more of an issue than the 250 or less performance. The reason for the 6.5 is 250m +. A moot point for modern combat.

"They" don't "think" anything of the sort. It should be obvious that a 120gr 6.5 bullet of proper design will flatten human targets at anything over 2000 FPS. The state of the art military rounds offer armor penetration (penetration is also a very important characteristic) as well as tumbling after flesh impact to maximize energy transfer. There is nothing about the Grendel design that inhibits it as a "man stopper", however the 6.8 Rem doesn't have long range flexibility. It seems to me from a utility standpoint the Grendel is a winner. For instance, it'd make a fine MMG round where the 6.8 wouldn't.

The moot point is claiming that there's a significant "knockdown" difference between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Remington. Either is a vast step up from the 5.56 and will wound similarly with bullets of similar construction.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty
The moot point is claiming that there's a significant "knockdown" difference between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Remington. Either is a vast step up from the 5.56 and will wound similarly with bullets of similar construction.

Again, this is why the 7.62x51 is better than the 5.56 . . . .

And my Dad is still bigger than your Dad . . . . . .

Fords are still better than Chevys . . . . . . .

And John Moses Browning agrees . . . .

So there! grin

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/28/08.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The issue of knock down power is at odds with the theory of small arms in modern warfair. To kill an enimy combatant is to take one enimy out of action. But to wound that same solder increases the attrition by eight to ten fold. I wounded enimy can wait. but a wounded one takes medical personel plus transport plus care and feeding plus more troops to guard and protect the wounded, and medical personel while being transported and cared for at front line aid stations plus the propaganda value of wounded men returning from the combat area. While dead have a propaganda value wounded and recovering solders have more. So the consept of military small arms is a wepion that is effective in taking a human out of the fight, but not so effective that is kills easily. The 5.56/.223 fills that bill for modern urban warfair except that the folks we are fighting are fanatics, who even when baddly wounded will continue to try to kill our solders even if that means thier own death. Our rules say we do not shoot a wounded enimy, we care for them. They on the other hand will blow themselves up, in order to kill even one more of our troops. We need to go to the gangsta triple tap two in the cheast one in the head. That should take care of the problem with poor stopping power of the M4

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by blinddog1
The issue of knock down power is at odds with the theory of small arms in modern warfair. To kill an enimy combatant is to take one enimy out of action. But to wound that same solder increases the attrition by eight to ten fold. I wounded enimy can wait. but a wounded one takes medical personel plus transport plus care and feeding plus more troops to guard and protect the wounded, and medical personel while being transported and cared for at front line aid stations plus the propaganda value of wounded men returning from the combat area. While dead have a propaganda value wounded and recovering solders have more. So the consept of military small arms is a wepion that is effective in taking a human out of the fight, but not so effective that is kills easily. The 5.56/.223 fills that bill for modern urban warfair except that the folks we are fighting are fanatics, who even when baddly wounded will continue to try to kill our solders even if that means thier own death. Our rules say we do not shoot a wounded enimy, we care for them. They on the other hand will blow themselves up, in order to kill even one more of our troops. We need to go to the gangsta triple tap two in the cheast one in the head. That should take care of the problem with poor stopping power of the M4

It's been pretty well established that 5.56x45 being designed to wound was a myth, even if the concept does apply. I don't agree with it in the least, but to each his own.

Actually, with that idea in mind, wouldn't a wounded enemy draw MORE opposition towards you?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In theory no, because if the enemy were just like us, they would do their best to get the wounded off the field of battle and to a hospital. The thinking goes if you wound enough of them it clogs the logistics chain and takes support away from the front and the fighting effort like resupply etc. I've never seen it actually expressed as doctrine. It was highly touted on the range and in the classroom when the issue of 7.62 v. 5.56 arose as it did so often. The bigger is always better thinking is hard to erase from American minds no matter what proof is available. Even with select fire available the Army always talked and taught in terms of accurate aimed fire on center mass of the human target.

If one simply looks at just how the eastern bloc fights, the theory goes out the window pretty fast. It reaffirms the German doctrine of the machine gun as an offensive weapon and that the individual should have a high volume of fire available. Thus the selective fire weapon in an intermediate chambering.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The bigger is always better thinking is hard to erase from American minds no matter what proof is available.

Because the 7.62x51 is bigger and better . . . . whistle

Ain't you guys done beating this dead horse yet?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ain't staning in line to be test media and this horse is DEAD!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Watch this video first wink
It is an informercial for the 6.8SPC vs. the 5.56!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuG1uXKTSGA&feature=related
Weapons of the Future 6.8 vs. 5.56!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's nothing new about the theory of a wounded soldier causing more trouble for the enemy than a dead one and thus an advantage to the other side. It's been established as a concept since at least WW II.

In the extensive 3 part article in Handloading documenting the development of the 5.56 cartridge, nowhere was it mentioned that terminal balistics were considered except for penetration of a steel helmet at various ranges.

I'm not saying that answers all the questions, but it was pretty thorough.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
Watch this video first wink
It is an informercial for the 6.8SPC vs. the 5.56!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuG1uXKTSGA&feature=related
Weapons of the Future 6.8 vs. 5.56!

Very cool.

BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wasn't gonna touch this topic, but here's a thought; if the military adopted the 6.8 and left the 5.56 behind, I think some of us might enjoy a nice supply of surplus ammo and loading components for the few ar's we have between us. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What a salesman video... any of that can be tweaked however you like... I really love the part about transfering the energy... most rounds go all the way through.... and how many times have you seen anything knocked off its feet anyway....

If looking for power we have the M14.....if you feel its needed, personallly I"m still of the thought that I don't want a 223 through the chest, and that if that won't put the fight out of me I need a CNS or grenade...

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (19rabbit52, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,262
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.