Print Thread
Hop To
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anybody interested in joining up for a late season cow hunt in CO unit 28? The season runs from Nov 22 to 30. I hunted this season last year, but was rather crippled up with broken bones and another hernia. Even then, I found the elk, including a bunch of big bulls and a few great areas. The late seasons are much more fun with far fewer folks and much better (meaning nasty snow and very cold) weather. I used to hunt the units to the north in the late seasons, but you can't draw them as a second choice now.

If interested, pm or email at taz4570comcast.net.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw 5 6X6 bulls in area 37 which is in the hunt with area 28. The only bad thing is no bull tags are available for late season leftover. Do you have landowner tags or getting the leftover tags? I was planning on getting a leftover either for there or area 371

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I already drew a bull tag for NW of canon city.
if I can get a cow tag also (is it a B license?) I'll go along.
I had great luck last year on a late season hunt by Del Norte.
where is unit 28? that might have a bearing on if I can go too.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Co1135. Is that Black Mt and Waugh Mtn area?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
delilah peak is where we'll be, but yeah black mountain is right there as well. infact the lot my parents have is on "sampson" peak, got a great view of black mountain (straight west). never hunted there, but its close to home for when the baby comes in august. and its not too rough so I can hike it. I'm disabled from the military and have to take it easy somewhat.
have any tips for that area?

Last edited by Colorado1135; 07/03/08.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Co1135.
I have looked around some down there,but not hunted. I talked to some locals a few times about it and they claimm that the elk migrate in there from the west (Buffaloe Peaks area ( sometimes before late season. It's either an elk behind every tree or none they claim.

The access road to Black Mountain was closed for quite awhile as it cut across a ranchers property for about 100 yds. He started to claim elk crop damage and the DOW said open the access and we will give you the crop damage money and vouchers fro crop damage hunts. Then he turns around and sells the vouchers for big money..

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Bronc,

I talked with you about the area last year before the hunt. You gave me some great tips about the drainage sw of Green mtn Reservoir. Didn't see any elk on that side, lots of mule deer in the draw. I found bunches of elk on west facing slope of teh Williams Forks above the reservoir. I also found a bunch on the east slopes. It turned out to be a good area. Heavy winds and wierd weather made for fun days on the field. The trees were coming down around me and the elk. It gave me good cover noise for stalking, but made the hikes very tough.

I have no Landowner tags, but met a rancher on the road last year that was happy to let me on to whack an elk, but only after a few of his hands were done with their hunt. I intend to track him down this summer and try to make a deal. The land I was hunting is directly adjacent to his and the elk used both quite heavily. If you have access to Landowner tags, we can make a deal.

1135, Unit 28/37 is se of Kremmling. It spans lots of country south of hwy 40, between the Green Mtn Res and Frazer/Winter Park. Lots of the high country in between becomes inaccessible after the regular seasons because of snow and the Forest Service closes several of the roads to all but snowmobiles and foot traffic. That wouldn't be too bad, except that the best hunting areas above the road closures are several miles up canyon. Besides, bunches of elk dive out the high country to get out of the snow and set up in the major drainages, such as the Williams Fork.

A long time hunting partner, now sentenced to living in Texass until he can escape, is also on the hunt. He and I have lugged many elk out of nasty places in the last 10 years.

Henry Ford

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did some scouting this weekend, hiked up some really steep terrain. I was glad to see I could still do it after the injury, although the going was allot slower.

se of kremmling you say?.... I was going to hunt around there one year, never happened though.
shot my first cow up by grand lake though.
and I've hunted by hot sulphur springs. horseshoe campground I think it was called, or something like that.
how long are the tags available for?
I need an elk, I've got a tag for 2nd combined. and don't want to plan another hunt just yet because my wife and I will have a 2 month old at that time. if I don't get one here, I'll go then.
if that makes sense smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taz,
I didn't get to make it up there last year, having both my tags in area 43, But this year I will be back up in that neck of the woods. I am really looking forward to it now that I have two deep powder mountain sleds to help me through the snow. Last two years I hunted up there we got hammered with snow. We will have to communicate after we see what leftover tags we can get.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll wait to hear sometime around the middle or end of August.

Henry Ford

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.