I've been a member of Beaver Creek Sportsman's Club in So. Amherst Ohio for many years now. I was the Vice President for a short time. Now I'm leaving. There are many reasons.

First is the money. While dues are only $65 a year, work hours are $15 per and you need 6 in a half year. That doesn't sound bad, except when you work second shift and most Saturdays like I do. Plus the fact that work hours during certain activities are basically reserved for a select few. For example, the turkey shoots have a few that work them and the shooters at handgun shoots get there hours. (that's the presidents activity).
There is also the fact that if you go to the club for hours often the job was so small it's already done, you might get one hour for showing. So I planned my entire day around a work party, drove to it, just to get one lousy hour.
So, that's $245 I will not be giving to Beaver Creek.

Then there is the facility;
The range is only 100yrds but that's ok for load testing. The 100yrd line is a total mess. The benches are cobbled together junk. The line is unsafe as the lay out has allowed people to walk in front of my muzzle while I'm shooting. The covered line is basically a cattle feeder type structure, it's only open in the front, no doors. To get in you need to go around the front, which places you inline with the muzzle on the end bench. Earlier this year a guy turned the corner on me, while I was about to put my finger on a 9 oz trigger. That's the third time that's happened and I'm not going to accidentally shoot someone.
Last year I put together a proposal to fix the 100yrd line. It would make it safer and give us IBS style concrete benches. The cost was only $1500. We would have 6 benches. The proposal failed.
It's not the money that was the issue. Beaver Creek is rather flush with money right now. I believe it's the fact that most of our shooters are handgunners (including the executives) . It's not in their best interest to build a good 100yrd line. Increasing the number of rifle shooters would cut down on the time the 25yrd line is open. It's a click thing.
Then there's the club pond. The thing is no better than a mud hole that catches AG run off. It has wild growing crap cottonwoods along most of one side. I have proposed to the executive that we convert the pond to bottom discharge to get out the laden water. To increase the clean water fill by bringing in the substantial run off from the buildings. And I, like another member, believe the crap trees along it's eastern edge need to be cut down.
Our president has turned the club into a social club. If the club house is reserved the range is shut down after 4pm. That's bullcrap.

That $245 buys enough gas to get me to my other two ranges in So. East Ohio several times. Tusco is in development and will be a great range. Thunder Valley is a world class range where the Ohio 1000yrd shoots are held. I'll stick with them.

Last edited by garryc; 07/10/08.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.