Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at a Remington 700 SS with a J-Lock that Remington made a few years.

Anyone have any problems with this system? I keep reading I SHOULD'NT buy one but no one seems to know WHY.

Also, I see there are replacement assemblies available. I'd also like to hear any feedback on how that worked out for someone who did so and how hard it was to DO so.

Any help is appreciated.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
GB1

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's not an issue to buy one that has a J-Lock ... and it will work just fine, as long as the lock doesn't 'shut' on you when you least expect it ... it can do that on it's own, but it requires the key to unlock it ...

The other thing about them, is that for some strange reason the spring in them is all catty-wompus and "snake-like", instead of being nice and straight ... it rubs the inside of the bolt, and can cause inconsistent ignition ... can't say how much that factor is worth, but when you see what I'm talking about, it will likely screw with your head knowing it looks like that ...

best bet is if you dig the rifle, get it ... replace the firing pin assy with an aftermarket one w/out the J-Lock when you can - costs around $40 ... Callahan, Tubb, Gre-Tan, etc... you can get them from places like Midway, Brownells, Natchez, etc...

-WGM-
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
for me, projectile vomiting & firehose diarea.

And also the heebie-jeebies.

grin

But I think the J-lock is treatable, Some say it can be cured completely.

Maybe look into the 3 position safety bolt shroud from Gentry.

That way it'll look a little bit like a Winchester & your J-lock will be gone grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far so good guys. I'm looking these up as you post. Anyone else feel free. Cant hurt my feelings. lol

Gentry looks interesting but I've been shooting 700s for most of a half century and I'm sure that would confuse me when charged by a bull groundhog. lol

Sides......thats a quarter the cost of the gun at the price I saw! YIKES

I'll be watching. Trying to decide between a slightly used LVSF and a 700 BDL, same caliber. About the same price but the LVSF has a J-lock.

Ive got a VSSF........kinda like those fluted SS barrels but the J-lock has my trigger finger nervous.....can't have that.

thanks again
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/12/08.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve-
I've replaced any J-locks I've had. Never had an issue with them but it's easy preventative maintenance. (see WGM's post)
Had Greg Tannel replace them and highly recommend going with the complete firing pin assembly (to get rid of the coiled snake in the bolt shroud) and have him bush the firing pin. IIRC the last one I had done was around 125 clams and I had it back in less than a week. Money well spent IMO.

Here's Greg's link:

http://www.gretanrifles.com/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah the more traditional shroud/spring & such replacement is honestly the way i would go.

I just can't pass up an opportunity to toss a Win dig at a 700

3 position safety on a 700, it's like putting a small block ford in a 57 chevy.... nobody does it!!!!

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two of my rifles came with the J-lock. One of them got a replacement shroud/pin setup by Callahan for $45. Easy fix. The other one still has the j-lock, as the bolt operates just fine. I'll likely swap it out eventually.

Now with even more aplomb
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I like the Gre-Tan replacement. It's not so much the lock to me but that abominable factory spring.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Brownells sells the non-J-lock factory replacement. I have converted 3 of them. J-Locks give me a rash.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the input, guys. I just have to decide if the SS Fluted barrel ( and NO FLOORPLATE...what the crap, Remington? cry )is gong to be worth the hassle for me to put more into the gun and the ISS out.

It's not like I dont like BDLs!! hmm

I like my VSSF and the LVSF is kinda a "mini me" VSSF.

I DO appreciate all your thoughts and links! It really helped (confuse me, lol). I'm KIDDING!

Steve

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
no floor plate... that's kind of a kick in the junk.

what cal? what cha usin it for?

I like a floor plate or mag for situations where you will be loading & unloading frquently for entering/exiting trucks or cabins etc.

But up in the mountains or in tent hunt remote location type hunts where you load up & stay loaded all day (please don't go jeff O on me, not talkin bout one in the ramp vs not)

I don't mind the blind mag for these types of hunts, the type you settle in to for ay least all day.

dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
17 Rem, for varmints and coyotes......don't flame me too bad.

Steve

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
can't flame ya.

My one & only blind mag is also my varmint rig, or I should say my fav varm rig.

Sav 12bvss in 22-250

Ugly as hell, but best shooting rifle I own.

So, you do what you gota do, cycle that bolt to jack it empty, not a big deal if you dig the rifle.

dave

Something clever here.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you don't even have to fully cycle the bolt on a blind mag rifle ...

I'll assume that you carry a cold chamber until it's time to shoot ... so, for getting in/out of a vehicle constantly, just make sure the bolt is closed on the cold chamber, and put the rifle away or hold on to it until it's time to get out of the vehicle again ...

for unloading at the end of the day, just cycle the bolt forward enough to move the round out of the feed rails, then just take it out of the ejection port ... do that for each round, instead of fully chambering the round, then extracting it ...

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and, I got bored, and decided to take a pic of the two firing pin assemblies side by side ... someone else did this a while back, but I couldn't find the pic ...

[Linked Image]

top is the normal pin, bottom is the J-Lock ... note the snake-like spring, and size of the shroud on the J-Lock assembly ... it just doesn't excite me, regardless of how well it might work ...

-WGM-
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for that, WGM. Interesting.

The spring like that and no floorplate, reminds me of my 1971 Vega I bought new. Always a Rem and GM lover, you can imagine my thoughts when AFTER I bought it, I found out it didn't have a water pump!
AND......the breather was all one piece to "make it easier to change the air filter". HUH? 53k miles later I had a warped head...the one on the CAR! Not mine.....before anyone gets funny. LOL

Think Im gonna buy the BDL instead.

Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/12/08.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a NIB Mtn Rifle LSS in 30-06 direct from Remington a couple of years ago. The J Lock malfunctioned during my last range session a week before a late season cow hunt last December. I had unlocked the device and left it that way. The malfunction locked the firing pin. The key could not unlock the device when I got it back to the shop. I prompty ordered another GreTan and lived happily ever after.

I replace most factory firing pins and oftentimes the entire assembly, regardless of the stupid J Locks. I can't honestly measure an improvement in accuracy, but it sure helps my attitude and I am definitely the weakest link.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WGM
and, I got bored, and decided to take a pic of the two firing pin assemblies side by side ... someone else did this a while back, but I couldn't find the pic ...

[Linked Image]

top is the normal pin, bottom is the J-Lock ... note the snake-like spring, and size of the shroud on the J-Lock assembly ... it just doesn't excite me, regardless of how well it might work ...

Ye gods! What is that coiled up thingy in that picture...a snake? No wonder M700s bolts fall open all the time...unlike M70s, which everyone knows is better... whistle

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Is there somewhere I can read about how to do this replacement myself?

Thanks, Outdoorag

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
really all you have to do is screw the old pin out and the new one in (if you buy the whole assembly)

the only trick is to place a dime in the retainer slot (place the sear engagement notch in your bootlace and pull the boltface towards you. when you see the slot on the end of the cocking indicator slip a dime in it. this relieves the tension. screw the firing pin mechanism out and the new in. (clean the bolt body first).

there are directions in the packaging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.