BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
And three things are possible-

- I'm an idiot and can't adjust a Jewell trigger;

- I got TWO sub-par units;

- I am hyper-sensitive to trigger movement.

I'll take number one . . . . . . . .

Sorry, it was just laying there . . .

Somebody had to do it.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BMT, I can't remember, did you shoot any of my Jewell'd rifles? Uh... it would have had to have been my laminate 30-06 at that time.

Next time we go up there, I'll make sure to bring along the Sendero or '06 and I'll show you what I mean about the movement prior to the sear letting go... I'm guessing your conclusion will be that I'm hyper-sensitive to trigger movement <G>!

... or that i'm an idiot, one or the other.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I shot the 30-06. Spooky light trigger.

I would never take that rifle hunting if any sort of walking was involved.

Good for shooting from a stand tho'

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree, too light for general hunting- which is why they mess me up. Love them set light, then hate them set to 2.5 lbs!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still think you should get an accutrigger . . . . grin

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Jeff,you have to use the trigger that makes you happy,I would like to try a Rem 700 worked over by neil jones to see what all the hype is about,My new Borden Alpine Mag 7 WSM needs a trigger,for the guys that have a Neil Jones trigger how light can they be adjusted and still be safe?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Neil will know that answer to that:

Neil Jones Website

I asked for 2 lbs, 'cause that's all the lighter I wanted to go on a general-purpose hunting rifle.

It's incredibly "crisp" is the thing. The proverbial glass rod...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
At that kind of pull, the Kimber or Neil-Jones'd M700 trigger works better for me as a 2-lb hunting trigger... I don't feel ANY movement, I just apply pressure until the sear breaks loose.

I have a buddy who has had (3) Jewell triggers, starting some years ago for the first one. Maybe 4 or 5 actually as he's had to send a couple back for rebuilds after piercing primers (they don't like that <g>). He reports considerable variability, with more movement (creep is just too strong a word) in the most recently bought one. That's post-adjustment movement.

I really want to be certain that I am not seen as bashing Jewells. I really, really like them set at a pound or so; they are amazing. My 30-06 and Sendero are currently set up that way. It's awesome.

But at 2.5 lbs... eh... not so much love from me <g>.

As far as adjusting them I don't want to get too far off on a tangent here, but you basically have 3 screws. The overtravel screw has no effect on the pull weight or creep that I can feel or see. That leaves sear engagment and pull weight. You HAVE to have enough sear engagement to be safe, and sear engagement is the one single adjustment that by itself, adds "creep". By the time I've taken the sear engagement where it needs to be, I've got the creep, and there's no screw that takes it out again!

By the way my sear engagement amount is considerably LESS than what the manual says is the minimum, or what Mr. Jewell's son said when I called them... I'm talking about the minimum amount to keep the firing pin cocked, plus a skootch more.

Anyway I'm NOT dogging on Jewell triggers, I'm just adding my little bit of experience with two relatively recent ones to the pile of info here. And three things are possible-

- I'm an idiot and can't adjust a Jewell trigger;

- I got TWO sub-par units;

- I am hyper-sensitive to trigger movement.

I suspect that it's the last one, that I'm particularly sensitive to trigger creep for whatever reasons, but who am I to say. Maybe it's the first one <G>.

Jeff_O,
I truly apologize for being a little rough on you on another post but this post is a comedic masterpiece.
The first paragraph got my intrest, but the second papagraph had me roaring with laughter "(3)Jewell triggers, starting some years ago for the first one.Maybe 4 or 5 actually as he's hadto send a couple back for rebuilds after piercing primers (they dont like that <g>)"
Not only does this not make any sense but a trigger has NOTHING to do with piercing primers. A trigger releases the firing pin (I can go into more detail if you would like!!!)
Then you continue" He reports considerable varibility, with more movement(creep is just too strong a word)in the most recently bought one That's post-ajustment movement"
STOP STOP I cant take any more laughter, but there is one thing that I do agree with with you on "I"m an idiot and can't ajust a Jewell trigger"
sorry your last sentence is as wrong and funny as the first.
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
boatanchor,

I'll correct you gently, not that you seem to deserve it.

If or when you pierce a primer in a M700 action with a Jewell trigger, the gas vents back through the bolt and slaps the sear surfaces together and they may chip. I'll go get quotes from other threads on this if you want. The Jewell itself has nothing to do with the primer being pierced. However, they are succeptible to damage from said pierced primer.

You completely misunderstood the above. I hope that helps.

Second, I do indeed have two relatively recent Jewell triggers, and they do indeed have what could be called "creep" that simply can't be adjusted out. This puzzled my friend as it wasn't his experience with Jewell units, but his most recent Jewell also has creep that he can't adjust out.

There's been a few threads about this in the time I've been around the 'Fire and others have reported the same thing.

Boatanchor, answer honestly: do you own a Jewell trigger? Have you ever adjusted one? Have you ever felt one set to 2.5 lbs pull weight?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 07/30/08.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only Jewell I have or will ever have is on a Rem. 700 and it has creep set at 1.0-1.5-2.0 and 2.5 lbs.Have been adjusting triggers for over 20 years and it ain't rocket science.I'll not have another... cause for $180 less you can have a nice 2.0lb hunting trigger of several different makes and models.And yes I've called Arnold and got the same run around that others have gotten.They don't want to do the right thing and replace the trigger - they want to take it in the back room and perform some of their supposed black magic on it and hand them back to you w/the same problem it had before they took it to the back room...creep!Doing things his way results in an unsafe trigger or a trigger w/ creep.I didn't weigh in on this one a year or so ago when it was brought up but it appears to me that Jewell does make some chitty triggers and most people will not own up to it since they paid so much for them.I realize they are a popular trigger but haven't heard of any "what a deals" on Mercedes Benz even though they do make a junk one now and then. powdr

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jeff,
I am soooo glad that you corrected me gently.
Boatanchor,"answer honestly:do you own a Jewell trigger?" YES right now I have 8 of them on various rifles from varmint to big game rifles.
" have you ever ajusted one?" YES not just my own, I would say 25 to 30
"Have you ever felt one set to 2.5 lbs pull weight?"
HELL NO, if I am going to spend a couple hundred bucks it will be better than that!!!!!
If I will accept 2.5lbs I will purchase a Holland spring kit and install it in a stock trigger for about $20 bucks.
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm glad you are speaking from experience, then, as am I.

Did you read powdr's post above?

I think we are in agreement that there's no reason to pay for a Jewell if you are going to run it at 2.5 lbs. You might not have realized that they are not so hot set that high, never having adjusted them to those pull weights yourself. I'm a little mystified why you would come at me so strong, when you haven't even run them that high so you wouldn't know anything about it... but whatever. I'll survive. grin

The problem (as I see it) is that the general assumption "out there" is that heck, a trigger that is awesome set to a pound or less, and costs over $200, must be awesome set to 2 or 2.5 lbs, right? That was MY assumption; that it would be better in every way than my tweaked M700 trigger.

And it's not, it's actually much WORSE. So, I feel it's worth mentioning on a thread like this one, where people are talking about them, so that folks understand the strong points and weak points of the Jewell trigger group. It's not a crisp, no-creep 2+-lb trigger, which is what most people want in a hunting trigger. At least mine and powdr's aren't, nor several other folks who chimed in on previous threads on this subject.

(I'm too ham-fisted to hunt with a sub-pound trigger with winter gloves on, in case you are wondering why anyone would run a Jewell up to 2+ pounds).

Maybe we have reached some sort of understanding here. I hope so. Have a good one.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
boatanchor didn't write the book on this chit! If he's hunting w/a 1 lb or less trigger pull he's hunting w/a dangerous rifle in my opinion...not just him-anybody! No need for anyone to respond if your feelers got hurt-everybody knows how sensitive a 1 lb or less trigger is!Were talking about people's lives here folks! powdr

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll just add that pierced primers will ram the firing pin back which in turn whacks the sear. A pierced primer broke the sear on my Jewell in half but no fear. $70- and they fixed it. I certainly do not blame them for charging me.
I also spec'd that it be adjusted to 2.5 pounds as I originally ordered it. For the second time it came back with creep. For the second time I adjusted it back down to a to 1 3/4 before the creep left and it exhibited the greatness Jewell is known for.
I have my springs for the other weights.
The spring in the trigger is the right one
I've read of this fact of Jewell's having creep at over 2 pounds before I ever bought one.
What makes a great BR trigger does not necessarily make a good hunting trigger if you are looking for 2+ pound weights.
Screw the "do you know how to adjust a trigger to get the creep out" Jewell themselves can't on their own trigger.
Those that actually have Jewell triggers set to 2.5 pounds know this.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have 2 Shilens triggers and 2 Timney triggers. Both seem to adjust the same, but I personally like the Timney because of the trigger width. The Shilen is pretty narrow.

Dick
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Jewell trigger shoe is narrow also, FWIW.

I want to say again, I LOVE Jewells set to light pulls!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.