Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just a note of support on the Warne QD rings....

Not a DG or sight related, but I used the Warne QD weaver style rings on an Encore muzzleloader for several years. It was nice to be able to take the scope off when cleaning. I can say that it held zero every time. When I first mounted it I was worried, so I would shoot a shot, take it off, put it back on, and then shoot another. It was really impressive to me. Never a problem over 4-5 years and a lot of cleaning. Never had to adjust the scope. The Warne rings are heavy though......

JCM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you liked the lower quality Weaver style, you can imagine how good the standard versions work! The Ruger Version may be best of all with the integral bases.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I shoot Mausers and pre 64 M-70s..I have my actions surface ground and hand fitted Talley bases and rings. I also use the Talley peep or a shallow V on a island. My scope return to zero much better by doing this, but it must be done right by a competent gunsmith..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know a source which sells parts for the earlier, non-Weaver versions of the Warne rings? I need to get a first model M7 going (which is already set to go with Warne's one piece base) and need another ring or parts for the one I have.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally wouldn't use nor really reccommend it but there used to be a Pachmeyer side mount called the 'LoSwing' that did the very thing the Weaver mounts did. I can see no reason to believe this would not work on a 375. they were nicely built and finished mounts and were quite popular in the early 50's if I recall properly. Don't remember any problems with return to zero. Had one on a 30-06 and was satisfied with it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am a fanatic about scope mounts and have spent a lot of dollars trying everything up to and including those made by the very best metal working gunsmiths. I use Weaver bases and the new weaver rings with 4 screws. You can lap them and there is a lot of surface area to hold under extreme recoil. In fact weaver's were the only mount that would hold a scope from sliding on a 7.5 lb 375 Ackley. I think that Talleys and Warnes are a satanic creation because they cannot be lapped and because there is no provision for adjusting windage. They usually mark the scope tube. Yes you can adjust windage with the weavers by switching bases, switching the ring bases, and by judicious use of a file on the bases. If you ruin a base then pony up a few more dollars and try again. They are very light as well and return to zero as well as anything else. The rings with two screw are OK but require more fiddling.

Last edited by RinB; 08/10/08.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
1- the Pachmayr LoSwing worked on a .375 Improved after Warren Page's (no connection just emulating a hero)
2- for my own, in my dreams, bigger game rifle it's screwdriver removable scope and emergency irons peep - that's for fun not miserable conditions.
3- for my own general purpose rifle it's Leupold lever style QD and emergency peep irons but that's really more for a rainy day than any contemplated emergency.

Historically I used the old Lyman deluxe receiver sights with a blank slide when the scope was screwdriver mounted again mostly a rain and snow alternative. I wouldn't know where to buy the sights these days and as for blank slides maybe an auction site?

I wonder why the S&B Short Dot and such aren't used more in the field? It's been many years since I realized I was wasting my time trying to see open sights and I'd seriously consider a red dot and a 3X auxiliary on my .375 for fun.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm an NRA Instructor & teach scope mounting to my SCI chapter members. I have mounted many dozens of Warren Rings & lapped each set. I install just about all the brands for friends. I have never had a problem with Warren Rings marking or damaging the scope. I always use a torque wrench. I have a friends 30-06 & Trijicon Scope now that I intend to install Warren Rings on & intend to lap. I mounted this scope on another rifle, a 375 H&H, lapped the rings, & used alignment rods to insure every thing lined up. My friend used on a hunt & now wants to remount the scope on his deer rifle. No scope marks or damage.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Talbot are the best QD mounts for DG rifles.
The Leupold LX is close behind.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't use anything but the Warnes!

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear
I'm an NRA Instructor & teach scope mounting to my SCI chapter members. I have mounted many dozens of Warren Rings & lapped each set. I install just about all the brands for friends. I have never had a problem with Warren Rings marking or damaging the scope. I always use a torque wrench. I have a friends 30-06 & Trijicon Scope now that I intend to install Warren Rings on & intend to lap. I mounted this scope on another rifle, a 375 H&H, lapped the rings, & used alignment rods to insure every thing lined up. My friend used on a hunt & now wants to remount the scope on his deer rifle. No scope marks or damage.

Warren or Warne rings? I'm not familiar with Warren.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have my first set of Warne rings on my CZ 550FS 9.3X62. They work great. They are not lapped, reamed, blueprinted or treated with any other type of magic. They are just properly installed by someone with a lot of experience mounting scopes. Good quality mounts: from American Weavers on up should not require anything but the proper tools and some knowledge to provide the maximun accuracy and reliability from your choice of rifle and scope.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
If it is a dedicated DGR why even mess with a scope? Sounds like your preparing for bad breath range vs hunting so why not save a pound and a half and go with the NECG peep? I have one on a Ruger in .35 whelen and love it for hunting pigs in the brush.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
If it is a dedicated DGR why even mess with a scope? Sounds like your preparing for bad breath range vs hunting so why not save a pound and a half and go with the NECG peep? I have one on a Ruger in .35 whelen and love it for hunting pigs in the brush.

Since when does a "dedicated" DGR rifle not need a scope except maybe for elephants? Now if you say a "dedicated stopper" we're in agreement, but lion, leopard, buffalo & hippo fall under that category and I'll take a scope over open sights any day. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My bo bo. Happens when you are an old fart like me.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
My bad, I was thinking stopper and DGR in the same light.

I have a 1.5x6 on my whelen for general hunting but pull it off when crawling at bayonet range. I also have the standard Ruger rings with the extra lever that was at Brownells, scope goes on an off with less than 1moa variance. I searched and could not find the little levers anywhere now.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used to use Warnes but if you look at the picture of the warnes above you will see that recoil or bouncing around in the truck can pop the levers out and around to block the uplift of your bolt handle..I have seen this happen on Safari a number of times and had to tape the lever on my rifle for a whole safari one time, I did this after a buffalo about ate my lunch with a rifle that the bolt was blocked by Warnes, the PH killed him at my feet....a heavier sping might prevent this, but I just peddled them all and went to Talleys..

Today I have the receiver of my rifles suface ground and have Talleys QD handfitted and they return to exact zero everytime. I don't except them returning to within an inch or two of zero as most folks do...

That said, the best return to zero scope mts and bases are still the old claw mounts if properly installed..

Last edited by atkinson; 08/17/08.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ray,

When you say:

"That said, the best return to zero scope mts and bases are still the old claw mounts if properly installed.."

are you referring to Weaver mounts - or what?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always have the levers opposite the bolt handle, On Model 70s and nearly all other makes you can put the levers on either side. I guess there are a few makes that must have the levers on the side of the bolt?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, just switch the levers to the other side of the gun--problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.