Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
NAN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Dear JJHACK,

I applaud your posting and totally agree. In my younger days, I enjoyed the rigors of a good daylong stalk of which there were many memorable ones, especially during my almost twenty years on the African Continent.
11 month ago however, I lost half of my right lung, but refused to give up my beloved hunting, which was continued, though at a somewhat reduced cross-country speed. And now 4 weeks ago I lost half my left lung, but rest assured, that in spite of this �minor handicap� at the age of 65, my hunting will not stop. The future might bring rather few and short stalks, but my time hiding in hedges or a Hochstand will probably increase the more.

A hunters ability to fire a quick follow-up shot, often proves his inability to hit with the first shot!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maddog, congrats on a great hunt. Don't listen to oscarb...sounds like he's got some "holier than thou" issues. I'm with you all the way on this one. Nothing wrong with the way you hunted, except that you didn't adopt and bring me along!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Oscarb,

So what's the difference in...

"Ambushing" game as it comes to a waterhole?

Ambushing it during a drive, while others push it toward you?

Ambushing it while it walks along its trail?

Sneaking up on it while it's resting or feeding?

Unless you blow a loud trumpet when you enter the hunting area to alert the game of your presence, perhaps you'd best just shut up.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure he always fires warning shots, it's the only REALLY sporting way to do it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I call moose from cover, use a predator call for bear, from cover, and hunt deer in areas they live, from cover. Personally I see nothing wrong with water hole hunting. If a man knows his limitations and adjusts for them, it shows he indeed has the superior intelegence over his quarry, and that is why we are hunters and not hunted.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very well said JJHACK.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent post. I fit your category of being old(late 60's) bad knees & a chronic spinal problem that requires me to have an internal morphine pump. On my safaris this is discussed well in advance. I can & do stalk but the 5 mile endurance walk is beyond me. I have even shot animals at very long distances from the truck(gasp) & felt very fortunate to be given the opportunity. I go on a number of guided hunts each year but, select the right outfitter & hunting terrain. I run a high speed bass boat, have a ATV to hunt whitetails 25-35 days/year, & still am active in 2 small businesses I own. At my age I think God for every hunt.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oscar - Shut up.......

maddog - Great post. You mean I can't use your example as why I need a $2000 rifle to hunt with????

Thanks and take care

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks boys, I appreciate the support. Tried to tell the truth about the whole experience. He didn't bother me all that much. Did ya'll know what BIOYA ment? What about BIOYFA.....

After being there, I just wonder how many REALLY tell the truth, about their hunt?

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do you think the eastern cape hunts are still so popular? The hunters there can come back and tell any story they want about the hunt there! 99% of the friends and family and Americans in general have no idea that the game they hunted there is not naturally, but bought and stocked for guys to shoot.

This does not make it a bad place to hunt the natural species, but the truth is,... it's a lot like hunting Wildebeest in Texas. Neither place has a natural population of wildebeast.

Pheasants and chuckers in North America are not native either, but I'll be hunting them as long as my legs will carry me. It does not mean it's a bad idea, just that so many folks plan this "trip of a life time" and go hunt stocked non-indiginous game. most don't even realize it. That is a shame to me. It amounts to the same thing as having a European come to New York or Pa. to hunt a big elk or bison on a hunting preserve. Then he goes home to tell his friends and family about his great North America hunting experience.

Somebody here, another PH from RSA as I recall stated it perfectly. Nobody hunts the eastern cape because it's good, they hunt it because it's cheap!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Jim,
I do not know you but from the post you just put up I know I would like to. I am trying to get together the funds for a safari and I know after reading your post I will be checking out your company. Nice post eloquently stated an spot on.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He's obviously an anti, just cruising the forum looking for a chance to splash cold water on some one.

Good hunt Maddog. I hope to get to Africa some day soon. Several buddies at my shooting club have been, some many times, and are always bending my ear about how great it is. I just don't know where to start researching, mainly what to look for in services and outfitters.

Once again, good hunt and great post. Great choice of tools, too. If I do go, I'd take my Whelen and 1895SS in 45-70.

scott

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oscarb
Maddog,

Sorry to be the first one not to congratulate you.

I find it deplorable and dispicable that your PH resorts to the totally unecceptable practice of ambushing game at water holes. It is akin to clubbing seal pups and goes against the grain of any true hunter and sportsman. I'm not talking purist here, just plain old common sportmanship. It takes no skill whatsoever to shoot animals whilst drinking, you might as well shoot at a paper target. Paper targets of all the animals on your package are available from gun dealers throughout South Africa!
"Trophies" obtained in this manner is (IMHO) meaningless and leaves the shooter (shooter - not hunter) with no sense of achievement at all.
Oscar

crazy crazy

We do it here in the states too pal - it's called hunting and knowing your quarry. Get over yourself.

JJHack- Well stated rebuttal.

maddog- big time congrats - appears to have been a wonderful hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maddog:

Great Hunt!

Great Photos!

Great to take your son, I have 4 boys and would love to take them on a trip like this!!!!

I absolutely love the choice of rifles and calibers!!!!!

Oscar - Shut your face!

Kevin Haile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ Hack well stated reply. I do think he is just an "anti" out to
cause trouble. Fine job. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Trophies" obtained in this manner is (IMHO) meaningless

Sir, clearly you haven't hunted much in Texas. grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maddog,

Possibly the nicest set of African hunt photos I have seen posted here cool

...and thanks for the demo that even an NEF will get the job done, it ain't so much the gun, but the shooter.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
maddog;
Sounds like a dream hunt to me -- Can you give me a ballpark figure on the cost of the hunt? Taxidermy done there? At the age of 63, I won't be running any marathons.

You can't miss fast enough to win!
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
106rr, go to their website. They have 7 day pkgs./4 animals, all the way out to 10 day/6 animal pkgs. They were very accomadating to me because of my feet issues. Hunt how you want. Yes we are having the taxidermy done over there. I also wounded an animal that I paid for. I'm having Euro mts done on the horns, and 4 rugs done. What makes it expensive is the airline ticket, and what you do/don't do with taxidermy. I'm gonna have $11,500+ in the whole shebang, pd. out over about 3 yrs. You could get by for under $7000, depending on how many animals/ taxidermy you want to do. Hope this helps.

maddog

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

MD:

Wonderful photos. I can't help it, but that one with the dog and his paws on the zebra just tickles me.

- Tom

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.