Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
My 450 Marlin has started a issue were it jams, the lever will stop in the open position and the cartridge is jammed under the loading window. To remove it I had to remove the loop. this is all factory ammo, I am shooting the LeverEvolution ammo and had not had problems with Hornady 450 ammo before. Anyone seen this issue with the guide guns?
cry
thanks

Ted
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
From Hornady's website:

In the past, lever guns were engineered to function ammunition loaded with blunt profile bullets. LEVERevolution's revolutionary new bullet design may require a newer magazine follower to provide best possible functioning of the last round out of the magazine. These magazine followers may be purchased from the manufacturer of your firearm. For optimum performance we do not recommend storing LEVERevoultion ammunition in tubular magazines for extended periods, as this can result in tip deformation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a problem in the recent past where a brand new Marlin 1895 wouldn't feed a round from the magazine to the chamber via working the lever. The carrier wouldn't raise the front of the shell high enough to chamber it upon closing the lever...it would jam. I sent it back to Marlin, describing the problem, and they adjusted the carrier so that things would work properly. It has worked great since then. The ammo. that I was using, and are still using, was/is the Hornady LeverEvolution...it's in .45-70. Good luck with your problem. wink

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Called Marlin and was told they would ship me a follower when they reopen from 2 week shutdown Aug 4th. $6.25 plus ship

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother is a gunsmith at a factory service center, and he found that the last shell would often jam when using the LeverEvolution. There is s simple fix on the follower - if I recall correctly, it involved creating a dimple on it. His boss sent it off to Marlin and took the credit for the "discovery."

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B2

I
I
Have the GG in 450. Package deal with a friend included 200 rounds of lever evolution. refused to feed them at all. Brass was to completely different specs about 1/8 shorter oal belt was shorter as well.?????????? deal was so good, never bother to look into it just pulled them all and run them through my contender. My GG feeds everything else just fine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Check the simple stuff first before putting new parts or sending it back to Marlin. Check the screws to make sure they are tight (I have two Marlins and the screws back out on both all the time). Also, a good cleaning can help some times.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LeverEvolution.......tried to solve a problem that didn't exist, and created one that didn't.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
S
S
I have had a few of those nasty jams with my 45-70 Guide Gun, too. With different types of bullets. So far it seems the problem was caused by my slow motion use of the lever on the range so I could catch the empty shell. Since I started pumping the lever properly I have not had any jams.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to all the Marlin lovers out there, but this is not uncommon. I had the 1895 and had the same problem and didn't get a 2nd shot at an elk. I know I should have gotten the elk on the first shot, but if you never miss, why pack a repeating rifle, especially one that jams.

I did finally find a cure for the jamming, after different loads and bullets...I bought a Browning Montana Centennial in 45-70 and haven't had a problem since. I believe anyone trying the same modification will ultimately cure the Marlin jamming.

I din't miss this buck, but I did know if I had, I still had a follow up shot or 6 in the Browning...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 61 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.