Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is what I have in mind and would appreciate your thoughts on the idea. As some of you already know, my passion is old mausers, but they just weren't made for what I have in mind and could use a little help here.

The other day I was in a pawn shop and the owner showed me a S/S Ruger M77 MKII he had in the back in a 7mm Mag. It had the old boat paddle style zytel stock. The action was very smooth and from wear but looks solid. We went back and forth a little on the price and best I could do was $400 tax included. Seemed like a good deal to me but I don't know.

Here is what I have in mind. I'm in need of a long range rifle. I'm thinking of buying the rifle, selling the stock on ebay, giving away the barrel. then ordering a McMillan stock of some sort and brand name barrel (Lilja, Kreiger etc.) Have the action face squared, lugs lapped if they need it and having it chambered in something that screams like a 257 WBY, .264 WinMag or something like that. Maybe even a wildcat but would prefer not to.

What do you guy's think about the plan? bad choice of action or not. My hunting grounds have changed and I'm thinking I could put something like this to good use. It's probably too late for this year but I could get a good start on next year now.

Thanks,
Terry

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Say it ain't so, no wonderful mauser, and exceptional wood. Rugers can make a fine rifle, long range or short. I think your stock options are limited though. Sounds like a good winter project.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Unless you have a dislike of both of the McMillan stock patterns for the MKII the Mcmillan stocks should work fine. My MkII classic weighs in at 34oz, a little more than I hoped for in my application but thats right in the ball park for a long range rifle with its longer heavier barrel.

Don't forget a trigger...

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know it. I do this every now and then. I usually figure out a better way to sneak up on'm and the whole long range idea goes out the window and I have a rifle for sale but I still enjoy it. grin

Yep noKnees, I went right past the trigger didn't I. I pulled it in the store and the 1st thing that went through my mind is that needed replaced! Who makes a good Ruger trigger anyway?

On the stock weight isn't important. I'll just need to tote it to the shoot'n house wink

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with your plan but there aren't as many go faster bits for the M77 than for a Rem 700. A second hand M700 would not set you back any more if you are going to strip for the action. Most accuracy gunsmiths have the tooling to work on M700's pretty economically.

If you want to go budget, then go Savage, the floating bolt head removes the need to do the truing, etc. If you are going to get a custom trigger, get the Stevens 200 action even cheaper, plus then you can buy prefitted barrels from Shilen etc.

But if you must have the mauser claw go for it. I did mine on a MRC1999 action with Choate stock (IMHO it is a fair bit stiffer action than a M77 but also heavier). It's very accurate gun not benchrest accurate but then I am not a benchrest shooter either.

Here's an article that may be of interest:

Long Range Rifle on a Budget

Good luck.

Regards,
JohnT

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The only problem with a custom based off a Ruger is, few choices for stocks, and you are stuck with their ring system.

I would just keep the original stock, and put a sweet barrel on it.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I have a very good friend (coyotewallace) who has a .257 Roy done on a M77 LA (started life as a 7RM). Damned things drives tacks, shoots like a laser, and handles his VERY warm loads with no problems.

Hard to see where that one went wrong, and I doubt you'd have much if any problems with yours, if that's the route you go.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TC:I have seen some accurate rifles put up on M77 and Mark II actions.But I have seen some accuracy smiths refuse to use them(they say so in their adds)because of issues involving getting the actions straightened out so everything lines up,I guess.

As you know,you will spend a lot of dough(relatively)putting this together,regardless whether you use the Ruger or something else.

IMHO,were I you,I would spend a bit more for an action,find a M70 Classic, send it to Mark Penrod for the basic action work, a new barrel and McMillan stock.You know for sure it will be done right on a good action after Penrod is through with it.It WILL shoot,and it WILL function and will make a great working rifle.

I like the Ruger rifle as it comes,but if I am going to customize something, I feel the money is better spent on the M70.JMHO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The only problem with a custom based off a Ruger is, few choices for stocks, and you are stuck with their ring system.

I would just keep the original stock, and put a sweet barrel on it.

There are a number of aftermarket rings for the ruger, Burris, leupold, warne, millet and others. If thats not enough you could have the reciever DTed for conventional mounts.

The factory ruger rings are very strong, but sometimes need a good bit of lapping. They are pretty much QR and return to near zero ( in my experince less than one MOA. One serious limitation is that you can't (to knowledge anyway) add MOA into the base/ring system so for very long range work you will be using quite a bit of the scopes adjustment. Of course much of this depends what you consider LR.. if its 5-7x100 yds no biggie.. if its 1k+ it may be an issue

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TC1
I know it. I do this every now and then. I usually figure out a better way to sneak up on'm and the whole long range idea goes out the window and I have a rifle for sale but I still enjoy it. grin

Yep noKnees, I went right past the trigger didn't I. I pulled it in the store and the 1st thing that went through my mind is that needed replaced! Who makes a good Ruger trigger anyway?

On the stock weight isn't important. I'll just need to tote it to the shoot'n house wink

Terry

I put a Timney in my MkII .260 Rem. It pulls very light, scary light actually, with no failures. Just make sure you have it fit to the safety properly. Mine works, but is a bit hinky....

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 08/18/08.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do not believe there is anything wrong with having a custom rifle built on a Ruger action! I am currently having a .404 Jeffery built on a Mk II action. I am also, thinking of building a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart on a tang action.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a couple of 7 x 57s in a Mark 2... I was thinking of pulling the barrel on one, and rebarreleing it with a heavy barreled 6mm Rem or 257 Roberts for varmint work...I saw someone else do it with a 280 in a very heavy barrel.. did an aftermarket trigger on it...

with a 120 grain V Max or a 140 grain ballistic tip, it could do some scarey things at really long ranges...

Some gunsmiths just become snobs with what they will work with...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Some gunsmiths just become snobs with what they will work with...

It has nothing to do with being a snob;it has to do with the amount of work involved getting the action squared up properly,and making it suitable for a particular purpose,so they have a happy customer at the end of the project.Some will work on a Ruger,and some won't.Does not make them a "snob".

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a custom tang safety Ruger. I simply selected the barrel contour, it's lenth, and type of crown and had Pac-Nor do all the machine work in attaching it to the action. I had McMillian do up one of their stocks to PN's barrel contour. The rest was just simple gun smithing, glass bedding, adjusting trigger, lapping the rings a little.
The rifle shoots all sorts of loads under MOA, and some down under .5 MOA. A few down to .2-.3 MOA. It's a .280.
No big deal.
I think alot of their actions. The one piece bolt, the mauser extractor, ejector and bolt stop, the machined bridge for their rings, etc. Their great FP and TG design. What's not to like ?
Either a McMillian or an MPI Kevlar stock if it were mine to do. E

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm still on the fence on this one. I whole heartedly agree with BobinNH. There are probably better action choices to start with, but I really like the idea of using that M77 MKII action on a custom. I talked John Farmer recently. He told me he'd had pretty good results using them. He said he would square everything up, install the barrel and flute it for $400.

Like I said, I haven't made up my mind but I will be doing something. MidwayUSA just got a batch of Kreiger barrels in. I ordered a stainless #4 in .264 with a 1-in-8" twist yesterday. Something is about to happen, I just don't know what yet laugh

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 08/21/08.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TC: If you like it, go with it...!For a knock down drag out hunting rifle, it is not possible to beat a Ruger action.I'm sure you've got a good guy that will make it work...you're no stranger to custom rifles! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's one built up by Jim See in Wisconsin.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/gallery/

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TC1
shoot'n house wink

Terry

Terry,

I've replaced three triggers on Ruger Mk II's, plus I've reworked two factory triggers. The best, and easiest aftermarket trigger to install, is a Rifle Basix. With the Timney and Spec tech I installed, I had to fit the safety, which is antsy at best as you must file down the shelf on the trigger to get it to work. And, over filing is easy to do. The Rifle Basix has a better solution, which takes ALL of the mystery out of the installation.

And, I LOVE my Mk II in 257 Roberts. It is flat accurate.

Don

Edit to add: Too bad Ruger didn't make the Mk II in 7mm Mauser. I'd have one...

Second Edit..LOL: Yesterday, I reviewed all of the equipmet used at the Super Shoot at Jim Kelbly's from this year, and about 90% of the shooters were shooting Krieger barrels. FWIW

Last edited by DMB; 09/05/08.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I decided to go ahead with the project. I went back last week and bought the rifle but for some reason I got delayed on the NCIC back ground check! I'm not sure why, I own and have been approved for NFA weapons. Who knows. As soon as I get the rifle it's off to the smith. Too late for this year, but that's how it goes.

I already ordered a Timney trigger for the rifle. You think I ought to let the smith install it?

Terry

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TC1
Well, I decided to go ahead with the project. I went back last week and bought the rifle but for some reason I got delayed on the NCIC back ground check! I'm not sure why, I own and have been approved for NFA weapons. Who knows. As soon as I get the rifle it's off to the smith. Too late for this year, but that's how it goes.

I already ordered a Timney trigger for the rifle. You think I ought to let the smith install it?

Terry

Terry,

If you work VERY slowly, you can do the installation. But, you must do MANY trial installations along the path to make sure you don't take too much metal off. You can do it.. No problems at all.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.