Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jerry, is your 7600 new or used? If it's new I'd contact Remington for a replacement magazine. If it's used I'd try another mag. If it's an all steel magazine and it's used, drop it in a pot of boiliong water for 15 minutes. You may be amazed by what comes out of it. Dry it inside and out and spray it with some Remington dry lube inside.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
HR IC

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
VA, 760 and 7600's seem to have more felt recoil than other rifles of the same chambering. My son and other 760/7600 owners I know have shared the same opinion.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never had a jam with my 7600's. I often practice off-hand rapid fire at the range (shooting at balloons). I have run countless 4 shot "barrages" through my current .308 and the 30-06 7600 I just sold and never had an issue.

As far as reliability, I have hunted with mine in freezing rain, snowstorms, and pouring rain and have never had a misfire or any other problem.

The 7600 is a workhorse, and a damn good one at that.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on boiling the magazines. I boiled my two M760 mags a month or so ago and stuff came out that had to have been there since the 70s! I didn't have any problems mind you, but they felt a bit "gritty" and I boiled them. My M760 feeds with both mags like it gets paid for it.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Jerry, is your 7600 new or used? If it's new I'd contact Remington for a replacement magazine. If it's used I'd try another mag. If it's an all steel magazine and it's used, drop it in a pot of boiliong water for 15 minutes. You may be amazed by what comes out of it. Dry it inside and out and spray it with some Remington dry lube inside.

Dave, My 7600 is brand new. I've only had it about a month. Shot it twice and had the problem from day one. I did send an email to Remington explaining the problem and asked for there advice as to what was wrong. I'm waiting for them to reply. Should hear something about Wednesday.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have my Grandfather's 7600 in .308 that shoots .5 moa with my loads. VXII -1-4x is a perfect fit. I don't mind the longer action with the .308 as I can load heavier bullets and seat them out further. My trigger is at 4lbs even.
[Linked Image]

If the forend is rattling, it may need a new O ring. An easy fix.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by blargon; 08/18/08.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is my "working" 7600 in 35 Whelen. Fully engraved with a reworked 3 1/2lb. trigger. I have shot over 150 boar/hogs & 6 Black bears with it. Shoots just about any factory ammo into 1 1/2 or less & 1" for handloads. A specialty rifle for special hunting situations. Scope is a 6X42 Leupold with Premier Reticle heavy crosshair.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jerry,

Try to find an older mag that is all metal. The new ones have the plastic on the bottom. I have found that they are not nearly as reliable as the older ones. If you have an old gun shop or a pawn shop around they should have some laying around. I have not had good luck with the new clips, on the other hand, I've had no problems with the older ones.

You do need to clean the crud out of them from time to time though. The mag should hold 4 and function flawlessly. You can put one in the pipe too, but if you can't hit 'em with 4 I don't think the 5th will help you too much.

Try to spray a little Rem-Dri Lube in the mag spring, see if it helps.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by tzone
Jerry,

Try to find an older mag that is all metal. The new ones have the plastic on the bottom. I have found that they are not nearly as reliable as the older ones. If you have an old gun shop or a pawn shop around they should have some laying around. I have not had good luck with the new clips, on the other hand, I've had no problems with the older ones.

You do need to clean the crud out of them from time to time though. The mag should hold 4 and function flawlessly. You can put one in the pipe too, but if you can't hit 'em with 4 I don't think the 5th will help you too much.

Try to spray a little Rem-Dri Lube in the mag spring, see if it helps.

Tom

blargon and tbear,
Those are some good looking guns.

Tom,
Thanks, I will try that. The problem is that tomorrow I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and won't be able to shoot for a few months. On the other hand, that will give me plenty of time to find a metal magazine and I guess I will also be able to see if it feeds. I just won't be able to shoot. Again, thanks for the info.

I am looking forward to hunting with the 7600 this year. Both of my brothers use them and love them.

Jerry

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The problem is that tomorrow I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and won't be able to shoot for a few months.
Best wishes with that! I had mine done a year and a half ago. I didn't have much pain and no other problems with mine. Just take your pain meds for the first couple of days whether it hurts or not and do the exercises faithfully once physical therapy starts. I sure did miss shooting while it was healing but if someone would have given me a new magnum to go shooting before I was ready, I would have passed. It's not something you want to do twice.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jerry,

I may be able to help you out if you can't find one near you.

I'll send a PM.

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Best wishes with the shoulder surgery.
I have an nice older 7600, 30 06, on the way. Hope it has the all metal magazine. It has the same black fore end tip as the rifles above but no white spacers between the fore end tip or grip cap. Also the checkering is along traditional patterns. Should get it next week and see what is what.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a story, some ideas and PIX: grin
My daughter is wanting a 'bigger rifle' and asked about a "pump-action".
Initially I was tempted to add to the Remington collection with another 700 in .25-06, but I considered getting her a 7600...or even a 7400 or the new 750.
She's only 13 so it'll be 'my' gun for a few years, but her goal is to be a LEO someday and she'll get all the guns anyway!
You guys got me thinking again about the 7600.
I've got a 5-digit, first-year 740 and a Y2K 7400 Synthetic Carbine, both in .30-06, plus a few magazines for them.
It would be wise to get her a .30-06 since I have the parts and ammo. I'll take her out soon and see how she does with that cartridge...
I've taken my 7400 and put it into a couple of different configurations, a LOT OF FUN! It's now in a Bell&Carlson stock set with a Harris bipod mount on it. I took the sights off for now.
EGW makes a good Picatinny scope mount for it ( for the Marlin 336 and 1895, too ) which I plan to get soon.
I also have a Choate pistolgrip buttstock for the 870 that I filed down a bit to fit the 7400 action perfectly. It makes for a comfortable shooting grip, and should work equally well for the 7600.
My 7400 hasn't jammed yet, but I've read some of the posts on how to enhance the reliability of the 7600 and that should apply for my rifle also.
The factory magazines DO work the best. THANK YOU.
Here's a couple of old pix for fun. I was younger then...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
fva,

i was looking on gunbroker last nite and there were some deals to be had on a older 760, but i see you got one already.

FJB
FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I have a bunch of them on my watch list. Picked up one off AA that looks to be used very little at a fair price taking into consideration the $15-shipping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The problem with these mags is that after a while the little notch at the rear of the mag becomes worn and won't stay in place properly causing feeding problems. Be carefull when buying used mags and folks just sell them off after they stop woking right. I don't care what the mag looks like, but if it's overly worn on that notch I avoid at all cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Must be your "pastry chef goes postal" look. whistle

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin

kinda what I was thinking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
oulufin

I ran into the same problem with a M7600 35Rem carbine. Could not shoot it with the open sights. I called Remington and their first response was--well everybody puts a scope on them anyway. I asked to speak with a "higher up" and SHE understood the problem. SHE sent me a M1100 20ga shotgun stock (synthetic) with no comb at cost that fit perfectly and solved the problem.

Might be worth a try.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin

kinda what I was thinking.

Man, you guys are GOOD! laugh
wink

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.