Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Alright guys, I'm at my wits end. 20 yard slick tricks bullseyes,30 & 40 yards are hitting consistently 2"-3" left. I'm pretty new to this archery thing so any advice is welcome.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The first thing I would suspect is your bow is slightly out of tune. Especially if 40 is consistantly further left than 30.

First I try paper tuning, if your shooting bullets I'd try "walk-back tuning" or go straight to broadhead tuning.

Start at 20 yards shoot a group. Move back to 30 yards, but shoot at the same spot with the 20 yard pin. Then shoot 40 yards, again aiming the 20 yard pin at the same spot. You need a good sized target for this, with each group you can should see a trend of the arrow groups moving either left or right. Adjust your rest the way of the drift and repeat until your groups are as close to vertical as you can get.

You can do this with either field points or broadhead.

Others may have good opinions as well, a couple of options to consider.

Last edited by MTWapiti; 08/20/08.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'll try the walk-back thing first.The 40 yard groups are about the same amount left as the 30 yards, close enough that I can't shoot one 30 yard arrow then one 40 yarder at the same spot. As far as broad head tuning I'm within 1"-1.5" of my feildpoints at all ranges except the tricks are hitting slightly right f the fieldpoints. I don't know ifthat is enough to matter, I figured it was close enough that i couldshoot either one, so it was alright.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What rest are you using? Whisker biscuit?

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does your sight have a level on it? Is it plumb with your bow? Slight canting of your bow will do what your describing. Most of the arrow reaction is over in the first 5-10 yards after that (unless you are off with your spine, tune or have clearance problems) the arrows are quite consistent. If your level and that is not the problem - look for vane contact with your cables or rest. IF all is good there and your broadheads are hitting right of your field points - that indicates a weak arrow reaction, try backing off the draw weight a turn or two and see what happens. Usually you can watch the groups come right together. Good Luck

Last edited by centershot; 08/21/08.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm using a QAD hunter rest. There is no level on my sight and I think that may have been the problem. My target is set up on top of another target, every once in a while it would tilt a little, rocking a bit on the handle under it.
Yesterday I was all set to try walkback when I noticed my target was leaning to the right. I fixed it and started shooting. The problem almost dissappeared. I think I may have been using the straight edge of the target as a plumb line. My broad heads are still hitting right of my field points. Thanks for the ideas and pointers I'll be sure to try them out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 62 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,246
Posts18,525,054
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.