Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey everyone!

So I recently purchased a TC Encore and am looking to buy a .257 Roy barrel for it.

Was wondering if anyone knows of a company making them?

Thanks,

FMP

HR IC

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the 25-06 rechambered makes a fine roy smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Try match grade machine...they have a good reputation for well made encore barrels....(www.matchgrademachine.com)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Virgin Valley Arms which is now Match Grade machine has built 257 Roy barrels in the past.

There have been internet discussions whether the 257 Roy has to much back thrust on the Encore frame's recoil shield and to much pressure that torque's the reciever.

If you have a need for speed a 25-06AI should offer enough speed for any shot that might present itself in Vermont.

My T/C pro hunter 25-06 will touch the first 3 shots shooting the Hornady 120 gr HP exiting the barrel a 3094 FPS.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of these will not build barrels such as this because of the pressure issues even if it is on their list of calibers, once you call they will say we won't do it. Let me say however I didn't inquire about the .257 Roy. My advice get a Sub Moa Vanguard .257 put a Timney in it and you will forget about an Encore!! Good Luck. BTW they will do a 25-06 Ackley Improved.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I dont think they will do WBY's or WSM's.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I agree with TN deer hunter. The Vanguard is the way to go. You get the caliber you want at a much lower price. Personally, I would buy the $399 Vanguard and not the Sub MOA. The trigger is the only weak spot, therefore, the Timney.

Leon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Sub Moa .257 and love the stock, so far all loads have been under moa. Ordered the Timney direct from the factory set at 1.5# best trigger ever. BTW Leon, I was in Pikeville last Friday to watch a little high school football. My nephew was the QB for Polk.

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 08/31/08.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You guys recommending Vanguards, etc., obviously aren't addicted to Encores.

As regards the 257 Weatherby Mag., most of the barrel makers probably won't make one for the Encore because of the pressure created under SAMI specs. I believe SSK Industries will make one; at least not that long ago J. D. Jones indicated to me that he would make a 375 Weatherby Mag. barrel for me.

As for the WSMs, I don't think any of the barrel makers are making them for Encores any more (though some did when they first came out) because of the case diameter and pressure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
You guys recommending Vanguards, etc., obviously aren't addicted to Encores.

Grumulkin unfortunately your right. I purchased two different Encores over a three year period and the muzzleloader barrel was twice as accurate as the .300WM barrel I put on it. I even went to my local gun shop and the owner which is a friend of mine told me the T/C rep told him to swap barrels if anyone returned one that would not group, I swapped out two different barrels and both shot groups like one would see using buckshot. I will say the last Encore was the year before the Prohunter models came out. I eventually sold both because being able to swap barrels was the selling point for me. I understand that the new barrels shoot pretty good if you get a good one but for the money personally I would purchase a Savage 10ML for a muzzleloader and keep by bolt guns for rifle season. BTW if someone wants a .257 Roy the Vanguards are the best deal going IMHO, put a Timney in one and it will impress you. I have the Sub Moa and a friend has the standard and both shoot well under Moa in a .257 and velocity is very close to the 26" tubes within 50-60fps.

- Michael Friedman

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Not to hijack the thread, but Polk has a fine team. They flat wore us out. I didn't make the game. I was teaching a hunter ed class down the hill at the middle school that night.

Leon

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I dont understand the pressure deal, wouldnt the .416 rigby produce more pressure then the ,257?

Even TC's barrel line has made the .416.

Not trying to be a doubter, I am just curious. I have a vanguard in .257, and have the ammo, that is my only reason for asking. I think with a heavy 28 inch barrel it would be a fine long range rig.

Any other calibers someone would recommend on the same lines? Longer range caliber looking into killing deer, blacky's, and possibly moose.

Thanks,

Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The WBY can produce more pressure (as per SAAMI) than the 416 Rigby.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
If you are addicted to encores, then you need an education on extreme pressures and how the spring back associated with the hinge pin affects the performance of the cartridge.

I helped a friend recently with an Encore in 257 Roy. We had to down load the cartridge to get acceptable pressures with this action.

With this particular Encore, we experienced a nightmare. With the lessons he learned, he will never have another due to the weaknesses in the action.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Understood, thanks for the help everyone!

Regards,

FMP

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.