-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This book is a technical history book, but not an anthopology book. It is loaded with information about the Comanche and when they split with the Shoshone, their early alliances with the Utes, how they left the Rockies for the Plains, and how they shaped and influenced Mexico, New Mexico, Texas, and all the indian tribes they came in contact with.

Author is Pekka H�m�l�inen, Book is published by Yale University Press.

If you have already read "Comanche- the Destruction of a People" and wanted to know more, this book is for you.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have read T.R. Fehrenbach's book Comanches--The Destruction of a People, and I really liked it. I see that he has a newer book out now, called Comanches: The History of a People...? Are these the same book? Or is it a whole new book? Either way, I am a fan of T.R. Fehrenbach's historical writings.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
I have read T.R. Fehrenbach's book Comanches--The Destruction of a People, and I really liked it. I see that he has a newer book out now, called Comanches: The History of a People...? Are these the same book? Or is it a whole new book? Either way, I am a fan of T.R. Fehrenbach's historical writings.

Ditto. Fantastic book. Both titles are the same book. Fascinating.

Had it not been for the Comanches east of the Rockies and the Apaches to the west, the Spanish would have settled the western US. Say what you will about Texas and Texans, but it was the Texans, families like the Parkers, that stayed and fought the Comanches and lost family members generation after generation.

Fehrenbach's "This Kind of War", about Korea is also great. I'm getting ready to read his book about the Anzio landing and in not too long will read his history of Mexico titled "Blood and Fire".

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 08/29/08.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by antlers

Ditto. Fantastic book. Both titles are the same book. Fascinating.

Had it not been for the Comanches east of the Rockies and the Apaches to the west, the Spanish would have settled the western US. Say what you will about Texas and Texans, but it was the Texans, families like the Parkers, that stayed and fought the Comanches and lost family members generation after generation.

Fehrenbach's "This Kind of War", about Korea is also great. I'm getting ready to read his book about the Anzio landing and in not too long will read his history of Mexico titled "Blood and Fire".

Expat

Man, I have read 'Fire and Blood: A History of Mexico', and it is great. Mexico's history is rich and deep. And speaking of Texas, Fehrenbach's book 'Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans' is super good...it's the best and most enjoyable book on Texas history that I have read.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your mention of "Lone Star". I have to add that to my list.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny you should mention that. I just swiveled my chair around in our modest library/computer room/office and took a gander at our bookshelves. Sure enough, I have the Lone Star book by Fehrenbach.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.