Print Thread
Hop To
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just finished my first container of Devcon Steel Putty. I really like working with this stuff compared to Acraglas. But I am a bit concerned about rust being an issue down the road. Was wondering what methods have been used to seal it to keep it from rusting?

Also I need to buy more and was thinking of trying the Devcon Aluminum Putty #10610. Rust shouldn't be an issue but is this stuff as good as the steel for bedding?

Also where are you guys buying Devcon? I bought the steel at Fastenal for about $35 but they do not carry the aluminum.

As always, thanks for the info.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can find the technical data sheets at this link. The steel has the lowest shrinkage. Yes if you polish it I suspect it could rust a bit. I have not noticed it though.

I think the ultimate way to bed is to use the putty for the first stage, and then do a final thin coat with the liquid. If you went that way you could use the steel putty to minimize shrinkage, and then the aluminum liquid for the final think coat. It would be so thin that shrinkage would not be a significant factor. The shrinkage only comes in when the layer is thick.

They also sell titanium!

Ron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought SS was an option as well?

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JPro
I thought SS was an option as well?

Yes, they list it. Shrinkage is still not as good as the steel. I suspect the issue with these if finding someone that stocks it, and the cost.

http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_105.pdf

Ron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Devcon Plastic Steel Putty (A) shrinkage 0.06% and Acraglas Gel (which I like) less than 0.10%. Though both are close enough unless you bed REALLY thick.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive never seen or even heard of an instance where Devcon Steel putty rusted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The easiest way to avoid rust is Marine-Tex. smile

Ted

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I also use Marine Tex...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Interesting. Devcon Plastic Steel Putty (A) shrinkage 0.06% and Acraglas Gel (which I like) less than 0.10%. Though both are close enough unless you bed REALLY thick.

I've seen quite a few reports of Acraglas not setting up properly. However, I suspect that may be due to not getting the proportions correct. With the stiff Devcon, I weigh each part with a powder scale to get the proportions exact. I put them on a small square of paper and subtract out the weight of the paper.

Ron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Proportions are critical for some high grade epoxies and important for all. Hardener molecules cross-link with resin molecules so the closer to the correct number of each the better the properties of the finished product. Weighing is good, I weigh aircraft-grade resin and hardener on a simple balance designed for the proper ratio.

Acraglas Gel mixes 1:1. I buy the bulk size in the jars. To measure I dip a plastic spoon into a jar and strike it off level with a popsicle stick. Then scrape the stuff off of the spoon and onto my mixing pad with a popsicle stick. Use a different stick for resin and hardener so you can dip the spoons back into the jar without contamination if you want more. Never had a problem with not hardening, curing times are very predictable.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just had a problem with old Acraglas not hardening, it could be dented with a finger nail after two days. The bedding kit was purchased over 8 years ago. I was warned by a gunsmith he too had experienced failures to harden with old material. I did not weigh the portions of resin and hardner but took extra effort to obtain equal quantities. I re-did the job with JB Weld and it worked just fine - didn't weight these portions either.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used Acraglas, just the gel. The epoxies I have used had stated shelf life of something like 6 months to two years, that's for manufacturers guaranteed properties. Stored in the cool basement I have components way older than that that still work, though I wouldn't use them for anything critical. Consumer products I'm told are formulated with a relatively wide range of mixing ratios in mind. If the ratio is off it still hardens, but the properties aren't optimal. Good enough for general purpose applications though, if you loose 10-20% of tensile strength so what.

Which explains a lot.
G
G
I have bedded quite a few riles with Devcon steel over the years and have never seen any of them rust.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Here is what my gunsmith uses..and it is some tough stuff made by Devcon

devcon titanium putty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.