Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nosing around the Taurus web site today, I noticed that all the .22 rifles are now discontinued. I immediately contacted my dealer to order up a Model 63A while the gettin's good.

This is really too bad, because these were great reproductions of what I thought were timeless rifles...Perhaps I'm wrong about that. Still, hate to see 'em go.

When my daughter gets a little bigger, I'll be looking for a Taurus 62 carbine.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anyone with a beater Winchester rimfire wanted a nice inexpensive tang sight, start looking for the Taurus ones now!

(just need to get a replacement tang screw)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fushigi_Ojisan
If anyone with a beater Winchester rimfire wanted a nice inexpensive tang sight, start looking for the Taurus ones now!

(just need to get a replacement tang screw)

And that screw is a 10-36 thread, if its a 62A..........

Brownells has em.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I never thought much of the Taurus rifles. I haven't shot one, but the several I've looked at off the shelf had some pretty shoddy workmanship with fit and finish. Plus that goofy safety thingy on top and they never got another look from me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Rossi and Taurus 62s in 22 Magnum, particularly the stainless carbines, made for a nice sized and easy to take-down survival rifle. I've owned a few of the 62s in both 22 LR and 22 Magnum and they functioned fine, but none could hold a candle to the fit and finish of a Winchester 1906 or 62.

Jeff

IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They're definitely not Winchesters, but they are very good rifles, at a fraction of the cost. I'm grabbing the model 63 while I can; it's one cool and fun rifle. I'll pay less than $250.00 including shipping. The same thing in a Winchester would cost me over $600.00. They look nicer, but they really don't shoot any different, at least not in my experience.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Taurus Model 63 that is the most fun 22 rifle available for general plinking. No scope on it, just irons and tin cans at 50 yards, off hand shooting.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife has a SS 63, it is her favorite 22 to shoot, and she has a couple of nice ones. Has always shot good and functions flawlessly.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You may know, or maynot know, but the original Winchester 63 could be made to machinegun, just by operating the trigger a certain way. Most older experienced gun dealers are aware of this. I wonder if Taurus will? And I wonder if the later Winchester 63's made in Japan will? I sorta figured that the well known, or maybe not so well known little trait of the orignal 63, may have gotten fixed in the later models.

Does anyone here know for sure?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMB
I have a Taurus Model 63 that is the most fun 22 rifle available for general plinking. No scope on it, just irons and tin cans at 50 yards, off hand shooting.

Don

Hey Don, how accurate is that 63? A dealer has one left in my area for 229 bucks, but I hear there not very accurate, any truth to that?

Sure looks like a nice gun

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have one of the Taurus but I do have a Winchester 63 22LR. It is the gun I learned to shoot with when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I shot everything from coyotes to beer cans with that thing. I still have it in the back of my safe but I haven't shot it in a long time. After reading this post I think I might dig it out, give it a good cleaning, and go run about 200 rounds through it. I bet it will bring back some good memories when I shoot it.

coyoteman23

�A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
~George Washington

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I really like my Taurus 63a. The workmanship on the one I have is great. I've never felt the need to put a scope on it and do pretty well on can/squirrel sized targets out to 50yds or so. I'm sorry to hear they're not selling well enough to keep the production going.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by DMB

Don

Hey Don, how accurate is that 63? A dealer has one left in my area for 229 bucks, but I hear there not very accurate, any truth to that?

Sure looks like a nice gun

I never shot the rifle from the bench to check accuracy. I know it's hell on tin cans at 50 yards off hand. It has never malfunctioned, and I never clean it.. grin
And, $229 is a VERY good price.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Taurus 63 and it is the sorriest POS I have ever owned. Will not function reliably with any type of ammo, stovepipes, fails to extract, fails to fire, trigger is horrible. The Taurus tang sight I got with it is not worth the powder to blow it to hell, will not return to zero, no discernable clicks and changes elevation zero every time you fold it down and put it back up.

Other than that, I guess it is OK. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
I have a Taurus 63 and it is the sorriest POS I have ever owned. Will not function reliably with any type of ammo, stovepipes, fails to extract, fails to fire, trigger is horrible. The Taurus tang sight I got with it is not worth the powder to blow it to hell, will not return to zero, no discernable clicks and changes elevation zero every time you fold it down and put it back up.

Other than that, I guess it is OK. eek

You should contact Taurus, we have had very positive results with their customer service department.
Any company can make a lemon, I have had some from other firearm manufactures, so far have all been corrected with no charge.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.