-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Last year I spent all my hunting on the ground. Being my first year I learned alot but it was also a great experience. Since then I bought some tree stands but have only been able to get one up so far. I have been scouting all my spots for the past couple of months and just thought I would show one of my spots.

This spot I hunted last year and ended up shooting at a nice buck for my first year hunting. Unfortunatlly when I sat up to shoot his buddy busted me, which alerted the one I was shooting at, who ended up jumping my string, causing me to hit him farther back then i wanted. I recovered my arrow and found corn on it so I knew it wasn't good, marked my blood, and went to get a spot light. It also started to rain which really wrecked my plans of letting him sit over night. I let him sit for three hours and went back out to look for him. The blood that was there before was now gone and it was about 12:30 at night.
The next morning I went out and just started walking, I walked back and forth in the CRP field for about 6 hours with my dog, I watched for crows in the days that followed and at night I would listen for yote's howling, still I never found the deer.
This year I'm going to be going back to the same fields just a different location.

First couple of pics are going to of the fields that i'm going to be hunting. I'm going to be on the ground again and either hunting in the standing corn or I will try and find a place to hide in the CRP. Hopefully I can find the spot in the corn that will allow me to get a clean shot.

[Linked Image]

There is about 35-40 yards between the corn field on the right and an ajointing bean feild to the left.

[Linked Image]

And this pic is the one that gives me hope, this isn't the big one that I found but that one didn't stay around long before he walked over the hill. I saw 13 does and 5 bucks, 2 which I will consider shooters if the chance is presented. Probably 2 1/2 maybe 3 1/2, but for my first buck it will get the sharp stick.

Sorry it's so blurry, I tried to digiscope for the first time.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by heitmann13; 09/22/08.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Looks nice-if you are hanging the deer stands by yourself, bring a rope, and a heavy duty eye screw, also bring a ladder if you cant climb a tree. Screw eye loop about two feet higher than you want the stand, run rope through it, tie to tree stand. pull stand up the tree, tie rope, go back up tree to set stand. Makes things a lot easier when hanging stands solo.

H
OP Offline
H
That would be a good idea and if I ever run into that situation I will keep that in mind. The tree stand that I hung this year I have buddies that usually come with, so there is 3 of us, which makes things easier.

Anyone hunt standing corn/crp from the ground before that can give me advice? I tried last year and basically I'm just going to hope on getting lucky.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.