Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Original Post: "went out tonight to get some freezer meat, and behold, freak daddy pops out. I couldnt pass him up, and I am thinking he would be my first booner. Anyways, 40 yard shot, just a hair back, thinking liver from the looks of the blood. Didnt hear him crash, but we trailed it a good 100 yards, thought we better back off (after waiting an hour).

So, back out in the morning to see if I got him. It will be tough to sleep tonight...

I will keep you posted..."

Results: I went out this morning (Sunday) before church to pick up my blood trail. I couldnt wait until it was light because of time restraints. Blood was good for a while, but then started thinning out after about 40 yards of where I stopped last night. I began to worry when I followed the trail up a steep bank. Stuck with it, by myself, in the dark, almost on my knees (no visible deer trail). Finally came up on a really thick bedding area and got my hopes up. Followed it some more before I noticed some antlers sticking up. He bedded about 150 yards or so from where I shot him.
[Linked Image]

The Story:

I shot a doe the night before (friday), but decided to let her lay for the night. Came back on Saturday morning to find she was attacked by coyotes. I didnt want to chance it as far as meat goes. I was planning on staying home the evening, but the wife was taking the boy to a party, so I thought I would sit on the edge of a field. I got out late, so I decided to sit behind some round bales on the edge of a alfalfa field.

I was waiting for does to come out,when this bruiser came out. I wasnt planning on seeing any bucks in this area, so I was suprised when he came out at around 50 yards. I thought about it for 2 minutes or so (whether or not to shoot) because I thought he was a 9 point. I pulled out the binocs and saw he had some kickers, so that made up my mind. Here I was, standing up behind some round bales, came to full draw, and let her fly. I shot guessing around 40 yards. He was actually around 43-45, hence the lower shot. It was a great hunt, but now I am wondering what I will be doing the next 2 months! I guess I will have to pull the traps out in Nov, as well as the pheasant gun....Had some people look at him, figure he will go upper 170's gross, but with quite a few deductions, might go in mid 160's. My biggest buck to date. I have to say I am quite blessed to have the ability to bowhunt, as well as live in a great whitetail area.

[Linked Image]

Stats:

I keep thinking about getting a new bow each year, but when I keep putting p&y's on the wall, why change?
-PSE Carrera
-cheapo walmart carbon force 6075's
I lost my rage's, so I had to grab anything I had in my archery box...
-4 year old spitfire

There you go. Thanks for sharing it with me. Now if I knew a quality taxidermist.....

joe

Last edited by jolintaxidermy; 10/05/08.

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck and good call on waiting til the A.M. to trail and recover.....expect a report back and a picture

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Good luck and good call on waiting til the A.M. to trail and recover.....expect a report back and a picture

That IS hard but a great problem to have!! Ditto on the update w/ pics.... smile

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Joe that thing is a pig. You did a great job. I dont think I would have been able to think all night with that down in the woods. Right thing to do for sure but must have killed you.
Be sure to post some pics of the mount.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Buck,Congrats and glad ya recovered him!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy Crap!!! Congrats on a super fine buck and great job on the recovery.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
WOW!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe-

GREAT buck man! Congrats.
Helped a friend do the same thing Sunday morning, almost identical story with the same results. Not nearly as big as your guy though.

Forget the score bud - GREAT buck!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, that is an awesome buck. Thanks for sharing the story and photo.

"I thought about it for 2 minutes or so (whether or not to shoot) because I thought he was a 9 point."

Unless I thought he was immature, he is a shooter automatically for me, 4 points or 9 points!

stumpy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Very happy for ya Joe!! Beautiful buck and nice job!!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but now I am wondering what I will be doing the next 2 months!
You come up to WNY and hunt with me,then next fall I'll come to SE Iowa and hunt with you wink

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have never been to WNY, but as far as hunting whitetails, I think I will stay in this part of the country!

I will contact you if I head out that way in the future!

joe

Last edited by jolintaxidermy; 10/06/08.

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice Buck! Congrats

I wouldn't have needed binos or 2 mins to make that choice!

Reloader7RM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Mature, older deer. Done.

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Holy CRAP!!!

Nice buck. I love the mega bases.

CONGRATS!!!

Camp is where you make it.
C
C
Well done, Joe. Nice buck, congrats!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
-WOW-
Very nice buck! Congratulations and well done.

Phil
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice deer. I have had many sleepless nights waiting for help or waiting out a hit I was not sure about. No matter how good the hit looks, if they do not pile up in sight, even when I hear the crash I get real edgy until I get a knife in it, from small does to P&Y bucks. Good job on the follow up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice deer sir...

Ps - Nets are for fish...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And "Gross" is for Steelhead's women......

WWP53D
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
GREAT BUCK Joe Did you sleep at all that night ? I know I wouldnt have... lol Congrats

Rod
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, I remember when Lee Lakosky said that on his show Getting Close. The "Nets are for fish" comment is a great one...

I wonder if he would have shot him. Both Lee and Tiffany are but a half hour from my house....

joe

Thanks guys for your nice comments...

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I promise you either would have shot the deer you did. smile

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 673, 1_deuce, 45_100, 375sunrise, 21 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,239
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.