-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to finish a stock I have been working on, and I want to know what is the best finish to use, who makes it and does anyone have any pictures of laminate stocks they have done with their favorite brand.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There were some very informative inputs to a couple of threads that Sitka Deer had major contribution. Search back some and believe you'll find what you're looking for. Also search on Sitka Deer posts. Don

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is the stock wood?
Try McClosky's Man o War marine spar varnish. It looks like oil when done and provides a really nice finish.Repels water very nicely.
I have used on several stocks, inside and out. Remove the recoil pad and apply there also.
Be sure to follow the instructions.

Front sight focus, trigger squeeze.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The application method is almost as important as the finish. I use this method and get superb results.

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/1_20waltcunfin.html

Pro-Custom Oil, Minwax Wipe-On Poly, and Pilkington's Classic Gun Stock Finish all work well.

RWO

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I recently redid a stock with Birchwood Casey's TruOil and was fairly pleased. Must allow looong drying time before final rubbing of finish to allow finish to harden properly.

Last edited by jedgreen; 10/07/08.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
the stock is a laminate boyds thumbhole stock,

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Laminated stocks are thin layers of wood glued togather using some type of resin or phenolic. It is forced into the pores of the wood under very high pressure, and gluing the layers of the wood togather at the same time.

Finishing this type of wood might be different than finishing plain, untreated wood.

IIRC, factories use some type of coating on the surface of the stock, instead of what we would refer to as a regular finish.

I have made knife handles from the same type of laminate that is used in gun stocks, and I sanded them very smooth, to about 400 grit and polished them with a power buffer and white rouge. Do not use red or green rouge. It gets into the wood, discoloring it, and you will never be able to get it out.

This method makes for a nice finish, as as the wood is already impregnated with some type of phenolic or plastic, a finish isn't really needed.

As an alternative, you could coat the finish sanded stock with thin Super glue, then sand and rub the Super Glue smooth with something like 1500 or 2000 grit wet or dry paper, used wet.

Contact Boyds. They should be able to give you some suggestions on the best way to finish the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use Sitka Deers epoxy method, and then put whatever oil or finish you want on top of it. I can attest that it produces and utterly stable finish that keeps the stock from moving in the wettest or dryest environments. I've gone from coastal rainforest to very dry winter days and the stock just doesn't move.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.458 Lott:

The original poster said the stock was a laminate. IIRC, these stocks are made from thin layers of birch, dyed, and glued togather under very high compression, with some type of pheonolic (sp?) resin.

Would Sitka Deers method work on this type of construction? I suppose it would, since it already is glued togather with some type of epoxy.

I have a Rem. 700 with a laminate stock, and I read somewhere that after the stock is finished and polished, some type of finish is applied to give it the final glossy look.

Boyds does not make the laminate. I believe it is made by a company that makes it for knife handles, gunstocks, and other applications. It would be interesting to know what this company would recommend for a final finish.

At one time, this construction was known as Wood Micarta, but I don't think that is what it really was.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.