Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for a rangefinder that will double as a high quality monocular. I have very poor, non-correctable vision in my left eye so high quality binoculars are a waste. I would like to have a rangefinder that has very good optics, works well in poor light, and has a large field of view. I don't need to range stuff at 1500 yards, but I do need to accurately range deer in poor light out to 500. I tried the Leupold RXB-IV(See my earlier post) I use a Bushnell 500 now. It ranges well enough in good light, but optical performance in poor light is dismal. You can't range what you can't see. I have a 7-8 hundred dollar budget. I like your recommendations, bear in mind that monocular optical performance is paramount.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Swarovski 8x30mm Laser Guide...

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
+1. the Swaro's optics are a match for their scopes/binos in quality. The RF isn't too shabby either, although I've only had it for a month or so. "getting price" would put you just over $900.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Leica LRF 1200 that has a 7 power eyepiece that is exceptionally clear. I have had it about 5 years now, no problems, very reliable readings, and 0 complaints.

NRA Patron Member.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Save your money, buy the Swarovski. I have one and would not trade it for anything I have looked through.

You may not need it, but it WILL range stuff at 1500 yards. And it WILL range stuff in dim light.

It has excellant optics. I too have very poor vision and that thing is clear as a bell. The optics are very, very good.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Try the Leica and the Swaro. Get the one that looks best to you; you won't go wrong with either.

Nothing else is even close.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Swarovski 8x30mm Laser Guide...

I own both the Leica and the Swaro, for ranging out to about 1000yds I prefer the Leica but beyond that the Swaro is superior.
for optical quality the Swaro is the best at any range.
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
I'm looking for a rangefinder that will double as a high quality monocular. I have very poor, non-correctable vision in my left eye so high quality binoculars are a waste. I would like to have a rangefinder that has very good optics, works well in poor light, and has a large field of view. I don't need to range stuff at 1500 yards, but I do need to accurately range deer in poor light out to 500. I tried the Leupold RXB-IV(See my earlier post) I use a Bushnell 500 now. It ranges well enough in good light, but optical performance in poor light is dismal. You can't range what you can't see. I have a 7-8 hundred dollar budget. I like your recommendations, bear in mind that monocular optical performance is paramount.

For your need the Swaro is the choice. I've owned both the Leica and the Swaro and the Monocular optics on the Swaro were substantially better..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dorm
I have a Leica LRF 1200 that has a 7 power eyepiece that is exceptionally clear. I have had it about 5 years now, no problems, very reliable readings, and 0 complaints.

I don't agree with you that the Leica's eyepiece is very good. I have a Leica LRF 1200 Scan and I used it today. It's resolution is only fair, the picture is dark with poor light. Overall is hardly of any use except getting the range. Suppose its better than nothing but I had binoculars with me and a 4.5-14 riflescope.

Not only that but it did not operate well. Thats my fault. I got it out for this post and I checked the 9V battery and its low.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Please keep the info comming. I'm a bit leery of the Leicas, because of some of the dependability/warranty issues I've read about here. I can buy a NIB Leica 900 Lrf for less than half the price of the Swaro, but if it breaks????? Another option might be Zeiss Victory 8x26, small field of view and no reviews that I can find. I expect I'll just bite the bullet and buy the Swaro glass. Where can I get the best deal?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've compared the Leica CRF and Swarovski Laser Guide side by side and there's no comparison when it comes to optical quality. If you're able to effectively use a monocular and want the highest quality optics combined with a rangefinder, get the Swaro Laser Guide. Sure it's more expensive, but you won't be second guessing your decision.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I might be (mostly) responsible for publicizing the Leica woes.
I've had crappy-wrotten luck with them. went through 3 in 2 years and change. Found out they don't service them - only replace them at 20% off.**

I really like the Swaro so far - and I'm relatively confident they'll back it up too.

**full disclosure: I do have the Ultravid 8x42s with lifetime Passport warranty and love them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+1 on the Swaro. I've also had both and have no complaints about the Leica. However, I'm blind in my right eye and decided I wanted the highest power rangefinder with good optics to avoid carrying both binocs & RF. The Swaro fit the bill perfectly. I'm told it has the same optics as the SLC binocs; don't know, but they are VERY GOOD & rangefinder is great also.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The best deal I've been able to find on the Swarovski is $921 to my door. Before I order, does anyone here know where I can get a better price?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have Leicas and they are razor sharp. My son uses them for glassing! I have friends who say the Swaro's are better but just so you know, the Leicas are good- Those who think they aren't have a bad set or something!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I only know Leica 1200 scan...don't know if the Swaro is worth the $400 diff...Leica works for me as both a LRF & mono when needed..

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since I basically have monocular vision, the superior optics of the Swaro make it the obvious choice. My question now is:
Where can I get the best deal?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have the little Leica 1200. It is amazingly clear, and I was glassing a deer with it this fall, when I didn't feel like breaking out my binos. Even my buddy was impressed with the picture quality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run the Leica 1200scan, my buddy the Swaro. The Swaro has much better glass than the Leica. I prefer the Leica for other reasons that really don't pertain to this thread, but if I wanted to use them as a Monocular the Swaro would win hands down.

Stoneybroke, look for a PM.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a leica 1200. The optics in it are OK but it's no substitute for a good pair of binos. It's adequate for lasing but I wouldn't consider it adequate for glassing. I've never looked through the swarovski rangefinder nor used a monocular for glassing so I don't have anything to compare to the leica 1200 from a monocular point of view, but I do know that it doesn't even come close to my swarovski 10x42 slc's for image quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.