Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm 68, with both shoulders compromised by football and a tree stand fall, and shoot a 175 lb draw, with 20" arrows, that weight 425 grains, and chron around 355 fps. It's a crossbow, of course. I can relate to your topic very well and understand your game, just couldn't play it any longer. My crossbows (3) changed everything. I'm back at 'em...even in tree stands, for now. Passed up a half dozen bucks this year looking for the photogenic Mr Big (he's a light sleeper, comes out at 1 and 2 AM). If I don't get him, that's OK. Just being out there again is what's important to me now.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
cossack2 - happy for you to be back in the game - enjoy. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 29 and have always shot a 60# limb bow with them maxed out making my Bowtech Guardian at 61# and change. I can draw smoothly without making a scene in the tree and hold for a relatively long period of time. The arrows are pretty darn quick and flat flying. I have taken a good number of deer with no problems being that shot placement is key.
A colleague is 61 years old and shoots anywhere between 80# and 86# depending on which bow. How likes it that way....so to each his own.

I prefer being able to draw that bow back as smoothly as possible without large movements and being able to hold and wait out a deer. The less nervous a deer is, the less they will jump the string. If a guy is up in a tree spinning in circles trying to draw his bow, they tend to tense up.

The new equipment doesn't require a lot of poundage.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got started in archery with compound bows about 20 years ago. I'm a big and tall guy, and started by shooting an 80 lb bow with a 32" draw. Bows were slower 20 years ago. Since, then I've noticed that both my draw weight and draw length have continually shortened as I learned more about bowhunting. I went down to 70 lb bows maxed out, to 70 lb bows at about 65 lbs and finally down to 60 lb bows maxed out. My draw length went from 32 to 31 to 30 to 29. Although I can still draw a heavier bow, I can't find a reason to do so. A 60 lb bow maxed out is operating at peak efficency and is more than enough bow to do all the hunting I normally do. I can draw the bow in any conditions and at any angle without a worry. The shorter draw length makes me more consistent, especially from hunting positions and with hunting clothes. When I started shooting a recurve, I went with a 55 lb bow and it's all I need for whitetails.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm 43 an shoot my compound at 82lbs.I've backed it off over the last few years.Its an old High Country and the let off isn't much.I like my bow heavy for stability and my draw weight and arrows are the same...heavy.
I get consistent pass through on deer and black bears and thats what I'm after...and probably why I still shoot 80+ when I know I can be effective at a lower draw weight.It's what I'm used to I guess.
my recurves on the other hand run around 65lbs and do the job,no reason a compound wouldn't.
humane kills with a 55# bow are the same as with a 80# bow.It's not a contest of strength.It's a matter of whats comfortable for the individual and allows him/her to perform at their peak.

I've always believed that in bowhunting,simplest is best.If you can't get your bow back to shoot,you won't get your deer...simple!

A shootin iron is a tool used for shootin
much like
a branding iron is a tool used for branding

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am 54 years old and coming off of surgery on both shoulders. The muscles around both had atrophied pretty bad by the time I could start back at training.
I'm pulling 51 lbs right now on a Mathews Switchback and struggling at that when it gets cold out.

I had no idea that they would be so slow at coming back. Some things about getting older really do suck.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 50 invisible), 3,508 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,552
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.