Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
These look like the cat's ass as far as quality goes. Whatcha think? $1700 if you can get one, and I have one on hold until tomorrow. Law Enforcement model. Help me pull the trigger.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
go to ar15.com and m4carbine.net and research there. i'm shure its well built but its not mentioned in the top 3-5 brands i read about there. it may be like a wilson ar-15. you pay a little too much for what you get.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For 1700 I'd have a custom gun done and expect to get a better gun hands down. 1700 for production and probably a non Krieger tube is a bit much IMHO. OTOH if you want to drop that cash it won't be a bad gun either. I can just find as good or better for same or less money and get what I want, not what they want.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can do better.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Please elaborate on "you can do better than Les Baer" for the money.

The guns are made from all custom parts and fitted excellent?
Come with an accuracy gurantee, what is not to like??

IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RyanScott
You can do better.

Tough comment.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Money is not the only consideration. Lots f guys spend money on custom guns that they put together themselves--with NO GUARANTEE.

Some guys get their jollies out of the "deal" more than that gun.

Others want top notch with no hassle.

That's Les Bear's market.

If the poster is after what Les is selling--there is no way he can do better.

If not, then you are right.

Nosler sells its $4,000 rifles all day long, because guys with $$ but no time make up that market. Willing Buyer, Willing Seller. Everybody is happy. The same applies here.

Good Shooting,

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fitting isn't really an issue on ARs. They are pretty much modular.

By better, I mean you can get some better parts. You don't need their folding gas block or goofy rails. You can get lighter parts. You can get better stocks. Better rails. If you want a turnkey rifle, there are a number of vendors at AR15.com that can build something nicer.

I'm not talking about better for the money, but functionally better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My Opinion here is you go to a custom smith. Lowers are or were 250ish... And you can get one hell of a good upper built with checked out parts and a good barrel for 1000 or you could. That leaves a lot of wiggle room for things like rails etc... if you really need stuff like that.

I'm running with White Oak Precision and have for many years. John is a civilian national champion from Camp Perry a number of times and we've used his fine work before he went commercial. His bottom line is perfection and accuracy. As are many smiths. But beware, many are not smiths, but parts assemblers which you can do on your own easily.

Beyond that there are other smiths.

But as mentioned if you don't have specific ideas etc... a ready to go gun isn't a bad option. I just prefer to be specific when I build, particular bullet,specific chamber, twist, gas port size, barrel weights, lengths etc...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I really like dealing with Wes Grant at MSTN.biz.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, don't know squat about them. Les Baer guarantees 1" or better at 100 yards. I know that can be gotten with a Bushmaster if you are lucky. The police special is the one I am looking at:

Features include:
LBC forged and machined upper and lower receiver � Removable carry handle with rear sight � Picatinny flattop rail on upper � Standard style carrier � Precision bolt and extractor � 16" precision button rifled steel barrel with 1X8 twist � 6-position collapsible stock � Special 4-way Picatinny handguard free floated � Lockable sling swivel mounted on stud on 4-way handguard � 1" nylon sling � A2 style flash hider � Hard coat anodized upper and lower � Phosphate finish on steel parts � Steel front sight base � Chip McCormick Super Match trigger group � (2) 30-round magazines

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Les Baer builds the best guns that he possibly and reasonably can, and then charges accordingly...as opposed to 'building to a price point'.

I have visited with him at the SHOT Show, and have looked at, and learned about, his wares. It's good stuff, as good as you can get.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Features include:
LBC forged and machined upper and lower receiver Most all quality vendors uppers and lowers are forged and machined to proper dimensions� Removable carry handle with rear sight Not what most people are looking for as BUIS to an added optic� Picatinny flattop rail on upper Most quality vendors flat top upper rails are machined to proper dimensions� Standard style carrier They don't say if it's a semi or auto carrier and they appear to be made by Young Manufacturing. A better alternative IMHO would be a B Co FA bolt carrier group as it is MPI, HPT and shot peened� Precision bolt and extractor Same comments as carrier� 16" precision button rifled steel barrel with 1X8 twist Nothing wrong with that, tho likely Wilson or Shaw, no manufacturer identified� 6-position collapsible stock Dont say whether it's a commercial or mil dimension receiver extension nor what it is made from such as 6061 or 7075� Special 4-way Picatinny handguard free floated No MFG identified, but Larue and DD are 2 aftermarket companies which are at the top of the game� Lockable sling swivel mounted on stud on 4-way handguard � 1" nylon sling � A2 style flash hider � Hard coat anodized upper and lower Common among many quality manufacturers� Phosphate finish on steel parts same comment� Steel front sight base Dont say if it's correct F height or standard height with taller FS installed� Chip McCormick Super Match trigger group Not known to be the best or most durable trigger group� (2) 30-round magazines

For that kind of money I'd be all over Noveske due pretty much to all top manufacturer parts used, quality barrels because of his links to Pac Nor, and proper assembly techniques according to the -23 manual. If I were looking for a varmint rifle, I might be inclined to go a different direction, but for a quality built 5.56 chambered M4 type rifle, LB wouldn't be my choice even dismissing costs.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
1"...hate to say this but I have two under $800.00 Stag #3s that shoot well under 1 moa.

With Hornady TAP 75 grain HPs my first rifle put 5 rounds in a one hole pinky nail size group at 50 yards using a 2.75 power Burris IER scope.

[Linked Image]

Changed out to a 3.5-10x44mm Shepherd and shot a .5" group at 100, 2" at 300 and 5" at 600 yards....

This is the #3 when it had a 10 power Bushnell 3200 on board...

[Linked Image]

300 yard group...

[Linked Image]

600 yard group...

[Linked Image]

I had just stuck the scope on the rifle and had just rough sighted it in which is why the groups are not centered...

Picked up a second #3 used, unfired that someone had put a mid length freefloated rail forend on... With a Leupold 4.5-14 scope it shot a .75" group at 100 last week with 75 grain PRVI Match...

With LB you pay a lot for the hype and advertising...pistols and rifles...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It may be good, but as good as it gets, I dunno, us as highpower shooters are a picky lot. 1 inch at 100 sucks, I send any custom upper back if thats all it does and I'm looking that most of mine are shooting 10 shot 300 yard groups of 1.5 inches to 2 inches max and 600 yard 5 shot groups of 3-4 inches, generally a hair less. I don't know of any highpower competitors running his guns at the moment, that speaks volumes to me.

But most folks will be happy at 1 inch at 100, and of course as mentioned, most any 1000 buck or so AR is capable of that with the right ammo.

Its kinda a chevy/BMW thing. YOu might like the BMW but a well built chevy will equal or outdo the perfomance and some of us dno't need or want the bling on the BMW

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, 1" at 100 sucks.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 11/20/08.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Before I'd jump, I'd inquire of the likes of Bill Wylde, John Holliger, Mike Milli and so on. Just to see what a true custom is going for.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is the original poster looking for a 'down and dirty almost utterly reliable' AR or a competition rifle?
Is the Wylde chamber compatible with both types of AR?
If he's looking for reliable LE or military type rifle the criteria are different, aren't they?

But, for that kind of money, I'd suggest he look at the Noveske(s).

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He is looking for a law enforcement model, so I think he wants a fighting weapon.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Play toy, and I want to kill hogs with it.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If thats all you want, and you want to spend 1700, it'll work. As will an RRA varmint etc....

G5, I'd run a wylde on any gun. The only difference is a tighter neck area, and thats all still fine unless you get questionable ammo. But ball issue LC is fine. I've run thousands of ball( Ball sucks for accuracy so I dont' shoot it much) through Wylde chambers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 27 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.