Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by esldude
You know I here this aiming instrument vs. viewing instrument all the time. Actually it is a pitiful cop out. Sure it is true in a limited sense. I would just like it explained how inferior optical qualities are even equal to much less better than having finer optical quality to aim with. Now if the price difference was large, sure spend more on binocs, and get what will work for aiming to save a bit. In the Leupie vs. Conquest situation, there is no price difference just a quality difference.

No doubt about it. Hey 10ring1, what "raincote" for the VX III are you referring to?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he's talking about the Alumina screw on caps.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_raincote_kit.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Its really not that hard to understand...at least to me. How long do you spend behind the crosshairs of a rifle scope? Not very long for me. I am more concerned that the scope is waterproof, fairly stout, and maintains a POI and that when the split second shows up that I need to put crosshairs on hair.... x marks the spot. I do try to avoid crappy optics that will fog up, move POI, allow water to penetrate em, or not withstand heavy recoil but where I see great value in the viewing instruments that you spend a lot of time behind (binos and spotters) I just dont need the same glass for the few seconds I spend behind the scope. I like scopes that are unobtrusive, low profile, provide generous eye relief when I am half upside down shooting practically downhill or straight uphill. The rest is just not neccessary or an advantage to anything I hunt. And I dont believe in skimping, I just dont believe that I need FL or ED glass in a rifle scope, I dont spend enough time behind one. I had a Conquest and though I thought the glass was good I just couldn't like the massive size of it, I didn't like how close the bolt was the ocular piece and I didn't want to run higher mounts. They are good scopes just not what I want in a scope physically and ergonomically speaking.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this.

After tallying up all the time I spend shooting targets, milk jugs, gophers, etc, I spend a LOT of time behind my scopes. I practice a lot with my hunting rifles so that I can be proficient when it comes time to go hunting.

Also, there have been many instances when I was hunkered down, watching an animal or herd of animals, and I was close enough that if I moved, they would see me and be gone. This means that I can identify that the animal is a bull elk, but when light is failing, I need optics to tell if the bull is a legal 3 (or 6, depending on the zone) point bull or not (each point must be at least 3 inches long). If I move to pull up my binos, I'm busted. So, there have been times when I've needed to use my scope to determine if the animal is legal or not. Then I need it to be bright enough to accurately place a bullet.

I think it's more important that binos be made with good glass, but certainly I like my scopes to be decent quality as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree to an extent with what your saying but I would love to have you explain to me that you will see something through a Conquest that I wont see through a VX-III. Were not comparing Tascos to Conquests here and keep in mind that I owned a Conquest and ran it for a year on one of my rifles, I am not doing the usual "E" debate here. And I will repeat what I have already said several times, I like the Conquest glass, I just dont like the size, shape and ergonomics of the scope bodies. The next best thing for my needs would be a Swaro, as they are more streamlined like the Lupies and lighter too, but no way in hell that I see the value in a $900+ rifle scope, sorry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not attacking you, AC, I'm just giving my $0.02 about the "I use my scope for 2 seconds per year and my binos for hours and hours every year, so I'm going to buy a Tasco because it aims just fine, and some Swaro binos" debate.

It seems like you and I are on about the same page. I draw the line when a scope won't show me what I need to see under the conditions that I hunt in. If that's a VX-III, then fine. If it's a Tasco world-class, then fine. But it it's a Swaro, then I'll save my pennies and buy the swaro. I agree with you that durability, stability of POI, waterproof design, and functionality DON'T take a back seat to optical quality, though.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This is one of the best optics debates I have read in some while on this site...and it doesn't include E for a change.

Marvellous!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The difference between the VXIII and Conquests that ive seen are very little. The Conquest is a bit better, but not so much that its going to make or break a hunt between a VXIII and a Conquest. They are very, very close. I like the size of the VXIII's and the optics of the Conquest. But AC is right, there isn't going to be any difference in real world situations between the 2. Both scopes have good enough optics to show you 99% of what your going to look at. The Leupys a bit smaller, but the Zeiss has a bit better optics. But not better enough to make much of a difference.... Can't wait for the VX3 vs Conquest debates to start....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey as we all know ...different strokes for different folks. I see guys post pics on here of custom superlight 5.6 lb rifles with huge Conquests on em. Would I run that kind of outfit? Nope! But apparently its working for the guy that is. I stick to the same theory I have had for some time, and that is a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with Zeiss glass in it would be the Cats Meow, would I be willing to pay what it would cost...dont know since it doesnt exist. To each his own, and you guys are right about this being a civilized debate but E gets back in town tonight! (JK)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the Alumina screw in raincote. I only put it in when it is raining or foggy. Works like a dream. Doesn't fog up when you breathe on it or when it rains on it. Good buy. Fits all VX's after 2004.

Live and die by the Browning...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haaaaah!!!! You're hillarious.

Live and die by the Browning...
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I see guys post pics on here of custom superlight 5.6 lb rifles with huge Conquests on em.

And for good reason. The quality of the aiming instrument outweighs the "monsterous" size. That's one argument I don't quite understand. This isn't directed at you either AC. People talk about the need for a quality aiming tool and then talk about how pretty the Leupold is. Some forget that it is infact a tool much like the firearm it's mounted to. It's fuction is much more important than the looks. I personally like the fast focus, constant eye relief, and high quality optics of the conquest and wouldn't hesitate to put one on the lightest or shortest of rigs because it all comes down to the function. However, the VXIII isn't far behind. It's a little lighter but a few ounces of weight saving isn't worth the trade-off to me.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I think of the pleasures of having a superlight hunting rig after hiking up and down the mountains for days on end , sleeping like chit and eating food thats got me chitting like a race horse, staring at critters through spotting scopes at a long ways times 30 and finally getting into position inside 300 yards to take a shot..... I am not much into admiring the picture through my scope. I want the crosshairs on the shoulder and the trigger squeezed, right now! Additionally I am praying like hell at that moment that in the dozen or so times I have smacked my rifle in the rocks or busted my azz in the previous days, that the scope is still on. No where in that equation am I going oh what an awesome view through this scope!...grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Then why would you post this?

I stick to the same theory I have had for some time, and that is a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with Zeiss glass in it would be the Cats Meow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Being as its a loopie.You just might have to.
dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course there is the new light wiegth Conquests and of course the Swarovski come in very light wiegth models

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What new light weight Conquests?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rmpace

I stick to the same theory I have had for some time, and that is a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with Zeiss glass in it would be the Cats Meow.

Because I like the sleek size and weight of the Leupolds, like I have said now going on at least 5 times.....I LIKE ZEISS GLASS, but I dont like the big honking body that they come in! I dont know why some of you keep arguing that point with me. Its very simple, the VX-III is a streamlined, low profile lightweight scope with good glass. The Conquest is a big honking SOB with better glass, and a reticle I would opt for but not if I have to take the body with it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
What new light weight Conquests?

The 2.5X8X36 and the 1.75X6 much smaller than the 3.5X10 and 3X9's

Last edited by jwp475; 11/21/08.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rmpace

Because I like the sleek size and weight of the Leupolds, like I have said now going on at least 5 times.....I LIKE ZEISS GLASS, but I dont like the big honking body that they come in! I dont know why some of you keep arguing that point with me. Its very simple, the VX-III is a streamlined, low profile lightweight scope with good glass. The Conquest is a big honking SOB with better glass, and a reticle I would opt for but not if I have to take the body with it.

I was refering to the comment on how you never cared about the view. "No where in that equation am I going oh what an awesome view through this scope!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever dude. Like I said earlier, different strokes for different folks. All I can tell you is that for me, until Zeiss makes a scope that has a more sleek profile, and lighter, I wont be buying another one, no matter how good the glass is.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.