24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SBT Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking for a new 20 gauge. Its primary purpose will be quail and dove, but should be able to be used for pheasants and waterfowl, be exceptionally good looking and able to stand up to high use. Is there a better choice than the Benelli Montefeltro Silver?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the Cordoba, but from a looks perspective, you're right, the silver is a pretty gun.

If they made the Cordoba in lefty, I'd buy one in twenty-gauge for each of my kids (who both shoot lefty).

My Dad always put me into good guns when I was a boy (good enough so my kids got the same guns as starters), and I like to do the same for my kids. Being as they both shoot lefty, one Benelli each is in their future!

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Rick Bin that the Cordoba model is awsome.
I bought a 12 with 30 inch barrels and took it upland hunting for Huns and Sharptails. I doubled on 3 occasions on Huns and twice on Sharptails and one triple on top with the sharpies.
Although I got initially quite a ribbing from my double gun friends for bringing an ugly black SEMI in a 12 with 30 inch barrels, they soon stopped when they saw the results. No one complained about the noise of the porting.
The beauty off the Cordoba with its recoil absorbing stock is, it fits me superbly, the highish rib makes it easy to point accurately on a small bird, the recoil dampening stock and porting gives instant recovery after a shot to immediatly fire another.
I looked at a 20 Cordoba, but unfortunately the recess bored for the choke tubes was not centre bore and the tubes fitted way to loosely. I decided not to buy this particular gun,although the handling quality was superb with just enough weight forward of the hands to make for a smooth swing. It handled and felt like my Caesar Guerini Grouse but for a fraction of the price.
One of these days there will be one on the rack with tubes centred in the bore and with some snugness, it will be mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Monte Silver is a beautiful shotgun.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not a Benelli,but I think that it's a good looking 20 gauge.I bought it because it fits me perfectly,but the looks certainly don't hurt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wouldn't recommend a Montifeltro for a duck gun, even though that's what I shoot!
Duck hunting is pretty harsh on a gun. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, it's gonna get some nicks, dings, and scratches, and sometimes even worse.

I've been shooting a 20 ga Montifeltro in Arkansas for 6 years now. 2 years ago, we hunted in some pretty steady rains. Well, water found it's way into the stock, and the wood swelled, and the stock got a hairline split, about 1.5" long, right in the middle of the stock. Costly mistake.

I still use it to this day for duck hunting, but I "sealed" the unfinished wood with varnish. I will say that it's the best damn duck gun I've ever shot. It hammers the birds with #6 hevi-shot.

If you're gonna duck hunt much, I'd recommend the Cordoba, or the M1 Super 90. I prefer the M1 Super 90 over the Cordoba. It simply "feels" better to me. I like the smaller pistol grip, short forearm, and the slightly highr rib. It's a natural pointer to me.

Also, I'm a lefty, and I've never had a problem shooting right handed shotguns or rifles. That's all I've ever used.
I've NEVER EVER noticed a spent shell coming in front of my face, or had any particle hit my face.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that Browning is one GREAT looking shotgun....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.