Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
This may help someone with the same problem I had: I wanted a scope on my 9417 but when I put the scope where I wanted it for eye relief, the front ring coincided with where the scope turrets were. I had to rearrange things and ended up with a scope too far back, or both rings between the eyepiece and the turrets.
I ordered a set of BKL Technologies Rimfire DOVETAIL SCOPE RINGS (Black 1" Offset Rings), from Brownell's; item #300-000-002AA, that sell for $35. They are on page 367 of catalog #60.
These raise the scope up a little higher than I would like in a perfect world, but the main thing is, they put the scope forward far enough to not be too close to my eye. And they support the tube from in front AND behind the turrets, so it looks right.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You got any pictures of that set up? I have problems scoping the 9422's also. We have 2 scoped up at home but I'm not 100% hapy with how I had to go about it.

one of mine has the weaver dovetail plate that I so affectionately refer to as (the diving board)...

post some pics if you can.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can't. Just move your front ring one inch forward of what would normally be all the way forward on the receiver, and you'll see what it can do for you. In my case, it moved the scope forward enough to be usable w/o having to pull my head back on the stock.
At one time I tried both regular rings between the eyepiece and the turrets, but that was just butt-ugly.

Whoops! Make that one and five-sixteenths of an inch that the front ring offsets to the front...I just measured it.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 07/09/08.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I see. Yeah i've done the same with both rings between the eyepiece & turrets, it's ugly as hell. I've got the weaver slide on plate on my own 9422M with full sized weaver type rings & the plate allows me to mount the forward ring aheas of the turret but it's got some spring to it (the diving board thing I mentioned) so that bugs me. It's always held zero this way but it still bothers me because it's not rock solid up front. My son't 9422M has rimfire sized ring clamps that grab the factory dovetail & we did manage to get his little 1.5-4x scope mounted with the turret between the rings but as he gets bigger he's going to need that scope to move forward so I'll be checking into a couple of sets of these BKL offsets.

Thanks.

Dave

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not the best scope on the market,but the little Simmons 22mag scope works well on my 9422. I think it matches the capability of the gun,accuracy wise.They are limied on the amount if windage adjustment they have however. It comes with Weaver type rings and a base taht mounts in the doevetails

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

L
L
Weaver makes a Top mount base for the 9422&9417 win. It's a TO-10 It slides over the 3/8" grove it's about $10 I have them on my winchesters.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's what I've been calling "the diving board"

My forward ring on that weaver plate is hangin out there a ways & the plate has some spring to it. I't been working for me for about 6 years or better now but I'd like to rig something up that's a bit more stout.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of these days I've got to learn how to post pics. Maybe Lee24..oh never mind... grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Simmmons 22mag scope comes with 1" rings that fit a std rim fire doevetail

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
L
Northern Dave I have never had a problem with either my 9422 or 9417 the weaver slide snug on the rail and 2 screws put in top. I use 1" 22 rings as you have a longer rail with them. Have a leupold vx1 2-7 on 9417 and a nikon prostaff 4x on 9422.

Last edited by lance; 07/20/08. Reason: spelling
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I took the scope off of my Legacy 9417 and carefully put it back in the box. Worth too much to shoot. Just my thought.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the gun is back in the box or the scope is back in the box?

Personally, if it was built as a functional firearm, I'm gonna use it.

That's how I enjoy them the most.

If the value of the rifle could possibly achieve an amount that would outweigh the enjoyment i get from shooting them....

well if that happens in our lifetime then it means something terrible has happened like firearms production has become banned & only certain existing firarms have been "grandfathered" into a legal posession status thus forcing the value of said firearms to the moon.

And if that ever happens... well I still wont be selling but i'll still be shooting.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There isn't a 9422 or 9417 worth enough money to just put it in the box and not use it. Shoot it and if you want to sell it later you will get about the same amount of cash used or new as long as you take care of the rifle and not scratch it up.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have had the same problem on plenty of short action 22's and the opposite problem with the action being too long and not being able to scoot the scope back far enough on long action centerfires. I simply measure out what I need and head to the store and buy a quality scope that will fit. Won't open up a can of worms explaining my opinion of "quality" cause it's only opinion but will say that some of the older USA made Redfields are short from the turrets to the eyepiece allowing them to work on 22's and the old USA Burris scopes are long allowing them to fit the old long action Mauser.
Dan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 2ndwind, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.