Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Whoops, sorry! Disregard my previous post.
I completely misunderstood the post by MacKay. I got to cut back on the coffee!!!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll go along with the 1st Responder ...
------------------------------------
"...putting a scope on a nice, trim carbine like that will negate any thing to do with light & quick."

(It will also negate those "darn good looks".)

I carry my scoped hunting bolt-rifle into my blind overlooking some CRP land in North Dakota.
My 2nd or back-up rifle is my "un-scoped" Marlin Spikehorn which comes in handy in early morning fog-
or when we leave the blinds and "walk" in heavy grasses and cover.

I'll scope most any rifle, but not my Marlins.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Marauder's lever is rounded at the back? Nice rifle, I'm looking for a beater 336 to turn into a rifle like yours.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That's it - rub it in! I really like those straight stocked Marlins. Take a look at the Leupold 1X4. Mine are the older Vari X II shotgun scope with the heavy duplex. Small, light, the heavy duplex shows up on a black bear at dark-thirty. Not too awful expensive for the quality either. Hey, you want to trade that Marlin for a scope? smile

Keep your plowshare and your sword, know when and how to use them.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mike FYI - I recently got this original Marlin brochure which I scanned. Marlin sure was thinking scoped lever guns back in 63 and 64. But I'm not a fan of big glass on a lever myself.

I'm thinking I paid waaaaaaay too much for my Marauder. shocked

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well for kicks I put a Simmons Master Series 4x32 to see if I would like her with a scope. This scope is only 9 1/4" long so it is compact. I am going to giver her a shot set up this way. If I like hunting/shooting with this set up, I will go with a quality scope. Eye alignment and relief is just right... grin grin grin

Mike...

[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
That looks darn nice to me ! I cant see for do-do anymore and have had to scope my Marlins so I could hit anything. That little scope looks about rite to me . I went with a Leupold 2.5x20 on my 336 , 35Rem and just love it . Kids went together and got me the scope , I would like another but they sure are spendy! I went with a Burris Timberline 4X on my 25-20 and it is nice too just cheaper. LOL.
If I live long enough I would like a Marauder in 35 Rem . Yours is sure a looker !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks KERR...

I have not hit the range yet to see if it is a doable set up. Sure feels right when I shoulder it...!!!

Thanks, Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
Well for kicks I put a Simmons Master Series 4x32 to see if I would like her with a scope. This scope is only 9 1/4" long so it is compact. I am going to giver her a shot set up this way. If I like hunting/shooting with this set up, I will go with a quality scope. Eye alignment and relief is just right... grin grin grin

Mike...

[Linked Image]

You mounted a Simmons? On purpose?

Wow....................

Personally, I'm thinking a vintage straight tubed Weaver K would fit the bill very nicely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would go with a K-3 with a duplex reticule, in similar condition to the rifle. I still have time to play...!!! smile

Mike...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It should be noted that there is a big difference in weight between the older Weaver K and V series scopes and those with the microtrac adjustments. The older ones are much lighter. I have not weighed them, but a K2.5-C I have in MUCH lighter than a K2.5-1 w/micro trac I used to own. A nice older K series or V4.5 would not ruin the handling qualities of the rifle and would go with your rifle much better than a modern matte finish scope. I would actually go with the K2.5 over the K3. They have more eye relief and the difference in magnification is negligible.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...A K-1 Weaver would be even better, not easy to find but works like a super peep sight, both eyes open. I put one on my Winchester WranglerII in 38/55. A gun very similar to the Marauder, just a bit lighter, It is fast enough to shoot running game if the rifleman is up to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are the ballistics of a .30-30 out of a 16" barrel? Seems to me not so good.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by ken458
How are the ballistics of a .30-30 out of a 16" barrel? Seems to me not so good.

....but better than the ballistics of a .35 Rem out of a 16" barrel! LOL! The loss of about 50fps per inch means that the range of either cartridge is definitely compromised. All the more reason to stay with a light weight low power scope, to keep the rifle handy.

Personally, I think the Marauder is at it's best with a receiver sight and a fine bead front sight. More than adequate for any reasonable range for which the rifle is suited.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The velocity loss from a 20" barrel to a 16" barrel in 30-30 or 35 will not be noticed by the game you pursue within the ranges these carbines are used. A Marauder will still kill a deer quite dead within 150 yds just like the RC, SC etc.

Amen on the fine bead front sight recommendation. Anything larger than 1/16" looks like a beach ball through an aperture sight. I find the factory or similar sized front beads nearly useless past 50 yds with such a short barrel.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Were there any flip over scope bases made for the Marlin 336...??? I have a few old Weavers that I can play with. If I mount a tang or peep sight, I would still like the use of a scope if needed...!!!

Mike...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rangr44
[would like to put a scope on it for Deer hunting. I want to put something compact to keep with the idea of the gun, light and quick.]

JMO, but putting a scope on a nice, trim carbine like that will negate anything to do with light & quick.

There's NOTHING quicker & lighter than the issue iron sights, so if you have vision problems, why not try illuminated (fiber optic) sights, or a ghost ring/peep like the Skinner ?

I know what you mean.I used to have scopes on my .35 and .30-30 .I decided to take them off because the only deer I shoot are within 100yards. The iron sights are good enough,no more fogged lenses.I even took the scope off my inline.

A Man's got to know his limitations.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do hunt my 1923 Savage 99G, ,300 savage, with a peep sight. I do not like iron sights. If I can find a decent peep set up for the Marauder, I would definitely go that route...!!!

Mike...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just my 2 cents OK?,but I myself would never mount a scope on a Timber Rifle it's made for quick-snap shooting.

PS,Nice Rifle!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Well , This is as close to a Marauder as I am likely to get . LOL . I chopped the barrel on my 1966, SRC, 30-30 to 16 3/8" and put the dovetail sight on in place of the ramp .I had a hankerin to do something like this for awhile now . I thought what the heck!

I dang near an in the Marauder club.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[IMG]
Oldest grandson modeling with it for me .http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/mountainkerr/TheGunRoom135.jpg[/IMG]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kerr; 07/23/09.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (anothergun, Bigd7378, 35, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, BB3, 8 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,532
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.