Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
While deer hunting with a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280, I had a cartridge case head separation. Obviously, this ended my hunting for the time. Back at camp, I tried removing the remains of the case with a cleaning rod and jag with tight patching, oversized cleaning brushes, etc. from front and back and anything else I could think of, all to no avail. It almost seemed as if the case was brazed in place. The gun is currently in a gun shop awaiting service. Is there any way I could have removed the case myself and continued the hunt? Hopefully, this is a once in a lifetime event. Of course, I'll be checking the die set-up, getting fresh brass, etc. But, I'd appreciate any tips or advice on removing stuck cases. I'm guessing it could be done with Cerro-Safe. But, I'm hoping there's something less drastic?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brownells sells a broken shell extractor.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DocEd
Brownells sells a broken shell extractor.

Thanks, I looked these up at Brownells and what I found are cartridge specific with a limited selection:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23311
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...;title=ECHO%20BROKEN%20SHELL%20EXTRACTOR
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...26&title=BROKEN%20SHELL%20EXTRACTORS

Is there a tool that has more applications or any other techniques worth trying?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 30-06 should work, because it is the parent cartridge of the 280.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Usually, a correctly sized bore brush on a cleaning rod pushed in from the muzzle will remove the case remains.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bend
Usually, a correctly sized bore brush on a cleaning rod pushed in from the muzzle will remove the case remains.

I tried a .28 brush in the .280 and it didn't work. So, I tried larger brushes also without luck. I also put larger brushes in from the back end hoping to gain a hold inside the case or on the case mouth.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Reba
The 30-06 should work, because it is the parent cartridge of the 280.

At least this .30-06 extractor says "Fits ONLY the specified caliber." Perhaps because it has to be the right size to engage the case mouth?:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...26&title=BROKEN%20SHELL%20EXTRACTORS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A thread tap on an extension will work.

You gotta be careful.

Al

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by aalf
A thread tap on an extension will work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered about something like a tap of some kind. I find myself wishing for a tool that probably doesn't exist. I'm envisioning something shaped like a cylinder hone with three arms that would be small enough to fit into the remains of the cartridge. It would have a camming action so that when you pulled out on it, it would expand to fit any size cartridge and get enough of a bite to pull the case out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Push a small patch from the rear to a spot just ahead of the neck and pour in a little cerrosafe. Let it cool and tap the case out. Everytime!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Malm
Push a small patch from the rear to a spot just ahead of the neck and pour in a little cerrosafe. Let it cool and tap the case out. Everytime!

That makes sense. Thanks! I was guessing that something like Cerrosafe was the best way to remove a stubborn separated case in the shop. I just didn't know if there were any other tricks to try before resorting to that, things that could be tried at hunting camp in hopes of getting a rifle back into the hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that you could tightly pack wet toilet paper in the case and ahead of the neck much like the cerrosafe and that you could then push the case out. I don't know. I would just as soon use my time kicking back around the fire. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dont worry you need threaded rod app 24 inch long and 1/8 inch thick , long enough to go from the rifles chamber past the butt so you can turn it with a spanner , three bits of rubber cylinder 1 inch long app for 222 ,06 and belted mag case sizes . On the rod have a nylock nut at the butt end and the spanner to fit .This nut MUST be fixed so it cant move . On the chamber end have a small nut with nylock or nut locktited in place about 1.25 to 1.5 inches from the end It must fit in the case body in the chamber!!this nut has a cylinder the right size[222/270/ 375 h/h/ ] of rubber about 1 inch long between it and another nut on the end of the rod this nut is a normal nut and if any thing must screw freely on the rod Now adjust it with your fingers so the rubber just fits in the case and the end nut is against the rubber Push it in tight, as its in the case you cant hurt the chamber, tighten with your spanner , rubber expands and grips the case from the inside out It normally takes very little effort to remove the case and it is all contained within the case body so there is no damage at all.PS you will need three or more different sizes of rubber cylinders but a 1/8 rod will fit all. It takes a bit of playing around to get the rubber the right size but when its ok It only needs to be done once It will work try it !!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
PPS Take this with your cleaning gear and its in camp for everyone, always with you as its only 24 inches long and weighs nearly nothing.And I forgot to mention small washers the same size as the nuts help compress the rubber without tearing it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that you could tightly pack wet toilet paper in the case and ahead of the neck much like the cerrosafe and that you could then push the case out.

I've also heard of using newspaper. Maybe, but, you'd think it would push back out if the case is that tight. Would be worth a try though...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by win243
Dont worry you need threaded rod app 24 inch long and 1/8 inch thick , long enough to go from the rifles chamber past the butt so you can turn it with a spanner , three bits of rubber cylinder 1 inch long app for 222 ,06 and belted mag case sizes . On the rod have a nylock nut at the butt end and the spanner to fit .This nut MUST be fixed so it cant move . On the chamber end have a small nut with nylock or nut locktited in place about 1.25 to 1.5 inches from the end It must fit in the case body in the chamber!!this nut has a cylinder the right size[222/270/ 375 h/h/ ] of rubber about 1 inch long between it and another nut on the end of the rod this nut is a normal nut and if any thing must screw freely on the rod Now adjust it with your fingers so the rubber just fits in the case and the end nut is against the rubber Push it in tight, as its in the case you cant hurt the chamber, tighten with your spanner , rubber expands and grips the case from the inside out It normally takes very little effort to remove the case and it is all contained within the case body so there is no damage at all.PS you will need three or more different sizes of rubber cylinders but a 1/8 rod will fit all. It takes a bit of playing around to get the rubber the right size but when its ok It only needs to be done once It will work try it !!!!

What an ingenious idea! I had to read through this a couple of times to fully comprehend the principle. But, that sounds like a great thing to add to the shooting box. Any suggestions on a suitable material or item from which to make the rubber cylinders?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, almost every time..

I had one that would not budge even with that.. Did it twice - no go.. First time that's happened in 11 years..

Had to get creative.. But I stongly advise AGAINST anything like a tap be used.. One slight mistake and you'll be investing in a new chamber..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When a cleaning brush pushed into the case from the breach and then tapped out through the muzzle does NOT work, I resort to 5 minute epoxy.

I mix up some epoxy and put it in a syringe. I push a tight patch into the neck from the muzzle and then inject epoxy into the case from the breach end with a piece of tubing on the end of the syringe or with just the syringe if a large enough case. I let it set up and tap it out from the muzzle. Has worked every time so far. Not saying that one of those echo case removers won't work, but most folks don't have them handy. I think on a remote hunt where you don't have a back up gun, you should at least have one of those in camp so you could get your gun back in order. They are $13 and the size of ONE round. Good insurance I would think!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I mix up some epoxy and put it in a syringe. I push a tight patch into the neck from the muzzle and then inject epoxy into the case from the breach end with a piece of tubing on the end of the syringe or with just the syringe if a large enough case. I let it set up and tap it out from the muzzle. Has worked every time so far. Not saying that one of those echo case removers won't work, but most folks don't have them handy. I think on a remote hunt where you don't have a back up gun, you should at least have one of those in camp so you could get your gun back in order. They are $13 and the size of ONE round. Good insurance I would think!

The epoxy sounds like a good solution. I'd be scared of it getting in the wrong place though!

Do you have any experience with the Echo? Brownells doesn't offer much info. about what they fit.:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...;title=ECHO%20BROKEN%20SHELL%20EXTRACTOR

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
MSQUARED and others Being a golf pro, when the old leather grips were used the end of the shaft was filled with a rubber cylinder through it was a screw of 1/8 threaded rod in diameter with a nut on the end.A cap was placed on the end of the club and the screw inserted through this cap then the screw was tightened and the expanded rubber held the cap in place See the local golf pro he might have some, or a hardware store It is a simple tool that when you tighten the nut at the end, the rubber expands and grips from the inside of the case leaving no marks in or on the rifle. Most case bodies are only stuck because we cant get a grip on them and have no camming power to pull them out .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.