Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm interested in a NEF in .35 Whelen-does anyone have any experience with one? I've had very good luck with the NEF's in 45/70, I'm hoping that will translate to the Whelen. I've heard both good and bad about the barrels so I'm a bit cautious. Any input would help. Thanks, David

Golden............
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they are ugly AND inexpensive. YMMV

Rolly
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks so much Rolly. I am glad to get such insightful input!

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay Davidlea, I was being a bit of a smart-ass. I admit it, and I apologize. I really didn't mean to offend you. Those are my thoughts of the NEF however. I should have worded it better.

Rolly
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Rolly-I really didn't take it personally. I'm searching for info and having no luck. And you are right-they are both inexpensive and not the most eye catching. I'm looking for this rifle for a specific task-hunting deer in Mississippi where a single shot, exposed hammer rifle in .35 cal or larger is legal during the muzzle loading/primative season and I'm thinking the NEF or maybe a Thompson center in .35 Whelen would be the best choice. I'd still be interested in your thoughts. Thanks, David

Golden............
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Davidlea...
Internet gossip is
1. NEF could not chamber them properly which resulted in headspace problems which lead to misfires (more internet gossip is they had the same problem with the 7.62X39)
2. As a result of these problems NEF decided not to chamber anymore of their barrels to the .35 Whelen and 7.62X39..

If that is true it is to bad as both cart. would be fun in a cheap ugly rifle...I would rather own a cheap ugly rifle than a expensive ugly rifle like the encore...

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 in regard to the encore. Thanks much, David

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rumor has merits as both cailbers have been discontinued the 7.62x39 was a victim of the steel cased imported ammo. The brass cased usuallt shot and ejected well. The Whelen was bad from the start, mainly with RP ammo. The problems were never addressed and the cailber was discontinued. Graybeards forum has a whole section of the BB dedicated to the now defunct NEF name brand. All new rifles and shotguns come thru labled Harrington and Richardson now since Remington took over.

Most are using the 45-70 and 38-55 for the primitive season. Being rimmed cases these seem to work best in the single shot H&R. We have six shotguns and two 30-30's that seem to always cause us to run out of freezer space every year. Damn those cheap ugly firearms

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a NEF in 218 Bee today at a gunshop, I assume it was
a custom barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nrut
...I would rather own a cheap ugly rifle than a expensive ugly rifle like the encore...

That is priceless! I've been looking for the right words to express my feelings on the Encore, and you just nailed it. smile

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have an NEF Handi rifle that is one of the most accurate rifles I own( I have several Encores as well) Quess I just like ugly guns. Tha handi started life as a .357 mag...it shot poorly and the problem was diagnosed as an off center chamber. I had OTT rechamber it to .358 Bullberry to match my contender pistol and it turned out to be one of my favorite deer/hog guns. Very versitle as I can shoot both pistol and rifle bullets. About like the 35 Remington power wise but has a rim that makes it work much better in a single shot like the handirifle...did I mention it is VERY accurate.

lonerider

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nrut
Davidlea...
Internet gossip is
1. NEF could not chamber them properly which resulted in headspace problems which lead to misfires (more internet gossip is they had the same problem with the 7.62X39)
2. As a result of these problems NEF decided not to chamber anymore of their barrels to the .35 Whelen and 7.62X39..

If that is true it is to bad as both cart. would be fun in a cheap ugly rifle...I would rather own a cheap ugly rifle than a expensive ugly rifle like the encore...

I had one of the newer run NEF rifles in 35 Whelen and it misfired every 5 rounds or so. It went back to the factory twice and the chamber was finally identified as the culprit. They refunded my $. If you can find one of the older guns(with the ejector) you should be fine. Personally I'd stick with a bolt gun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i have one in a 243 that shoots about minute of barn.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 24" .35 whelen in the ugly encore. Form follows function as it is the lightest weight rifle I could find in that caliber. It shoots 1 1/4" groups with a 225 gr. nosler partition at 2800 fps It is a short easy to handle package.Under 7 lbs with the scope and With the pro hunter stock it takes up a lot of felt recoil. after all that it ain't so ugly anymore.It is a pleasure to carry and shoots very well. I rarely use a sling unless I am climbing out of a canyon.I carry a nylon strap in my pack. I let my hunting partner carry my .338 this Elk season and he ended up buying the rifle from me. He used to say mine was "ugly" too. I am going to shoot it not screw it so I don't care what it looks like.
I had headspace issues with the whelen as well and it was me pulling the shoulders forward when reforming 30-06 brass.Lubing the necks better and some fiddling with die adjustments fixed it. I have not had a single misfire since. If you can figure out what the chamber measures you can deal with it. Nosler makes some good ammo but you will pay. It really is a handloader's cartridge. I do not use the remington fodder at all.
I also have a .270 win,375 H&H,416 rigby and 45-70 barrel and 3 frames in the encore all perform the equally as well. I do not even carry a bolt rifle anymore when hunting in the mountains.

The NEF rifles I Just do not care for the locking mechanism in a high pressure cartridge. I have a 12 ga. survivor that is light,short,Handy and I hit with it consistantly. It has never misfired

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by cowkiller
I have a 24" .35 whelen in the ugly encore. Form follows function as it is the lightest weight rifle I could find in that caliber. It shoots 1 1/4" groups with a 225 gr. nosler partition at 2800 fps It is a short easy to handle package.Under 7 lbs with the scope and With the pro hunter stock it takes up a lot of felt recoil. after all that it ain't so ugly anymore.It is a pleasure to carry and shoots very well. I rarely use a sling unless I am climbing out of a canyon.I carry a nylon strap in my pack. I let my hunting partner carry my .338 this Elk season and he ended up buying the rifle from me. He used to say mine was "ugly" too. I am going to shoot it not screw it so I don't care what it looks like.
I had headspace issues with the whelen as well and it was me pulling the shoulders forward when reforming 30-06 brass.Lubing the necks better and some fiddling with die adjustments fixed it. I have not had a single misfire since. If you can figure out what the chamber measures you can deal with it. Nosler makes some good ammo but you will pay. It really is a handloader's cartridge. I do not use the remington fodder at all.
I also have a .270 win,375 H&H,416 rigby and 45-70 barrel and 3 frames in the encore all perform the equally as well. I do not even carry a bolt rifle anymore when hunting in the mountains.

The NEF rifles I Just do not care for the locking mechanism in a high pressure cartridge. I have a 12 ga. survivor that is light,short,Handy and I hit with it consistantly. It has never misfired

Headspace is indeed an issue with the 35 Whelen either in the Encore or Handi-Rifle. I am from Ms. and also wanted one for the "primitive weapons" season. I loaded a bunch of bullets to try and half would fire half would misfire. I got worried but after talking with a couple of gunsmiths I found that it was my fault for bumping the shoulder of the cases too much while full-length sizing.
I ended up shooting all the loaded cases so as to fire form them. I backed my die off so I'm only partial sizing now with no misfires. I have also ordered a neck sizing die. I tell you all of this because the 35 Whelen has an issue with headspace. Misfires with factory loads is very common. Aside from this the 35 Whelen is a very good choice. I am pleased with mine after solving the headspace problem. Shoots 225 gr. Sierra Gamekings 2600 FPS 1" group at 100 yards. Took a doe last week at 125 yards. Very deadly.

Last edited by ddurst; 12/17/08.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by davidlea
I'm looking for this rifle for a specific task-hunting deer in Mississippi where a single shot, exposed hammer rifle in .35 cal or larger is legal during the muzzle loading/primative season and I'm thinking the NEF or maybe a Thompson center in .35 Whelen would be the best choice. I'd still be interested in your thoughts. Thanks, David

David,

Do you know if the Encore is legal in Miss? Its not here in Louisiana. Just curious, might join a club in Miss next year. LA ruled that the Encore wasn't a close enough reproduction of a "primitive" rifle.

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons.

From the Ms. wildlife site

Aim small, Miss small: The Patriot

Psalms 42:1 As the deer pants after the water brooks, so my soul pants after You, O God. NKJV
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by davidlea
I'm looking for this rifle for a specific task-hunting deer in Mississippi where a single shot, exposed hammer rifle in .35 cal or larger is legal during the muzzle loading/primative season and I'm thinking the NEF or maybe a Thompson center in .35 Whelen would be the best choice. I'd still be interested in your thoughts. Thanks, David

David,

Do you know if the Encore is legal in Miss? Its not here in Louisiana. Just curious, might join a club in Miss next year. LA ruled that the Encore wasn't a close enough reproduction of a "primitive" rifle.

The Encore is allowed in Ms. during "Primitive Weapons" season as long as it is in .35 caliber or larger.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Another possible caliber to consider might be the .357 Maximum.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a .416 rigby Encore barrel I will sell you. Not too many rhino stampedes here in Oregon but I had to have it. You could shoot with cast bullets. I have some brass as well it is the ported 28" pro-hunter stainless model.
With full house smokeless loads it will cross your eyes.
also another really good choice would be the 45-70 barrel
very straight forward loading proposition. Mine is not for sale however they are available often. The .35 whelen is a little touchy but once you get it dialed in it's a killer

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.