Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wisam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I've heard people complain about their middle finger getting smashed by the loop on the guide gun when shooting heavy loads. I haven't heard this problem about the classic model.

Is this due to the strait grip design of the GG or is a pistol gripped design just as susceptible?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it's a function of the straight grip. The hand just sort of slides forward a little bit while the rifle is coming back in recoil and the fingers hit the inside edge of the lever. This is common with my guide gun and heavy loads, but I've not ever had the same problem with my pistol gripped 444s. Squeezing the grip tighter can alleviate it sometimes, but gloves only seem to make it worse, probably due to the slight hand slip inside the glove. This is the main reason I prefer a pistol grip on hard kickers. Chambered for a pistol cartridge, I'd much rather have a straight grip as I feel it's quicker to point.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Well said, Jayhawker, I think you are right on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an 1895 XLR 45-70. I had the barrel cut back to 17" It's kinda like a guide gun with a pistol grip. Haven't had my fingers "bit" yet!
Virgil B.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's true, the GG is more susceptible to bruising the hand than the standard version. I've owned both and my current version is the "standard" with beautiful wood, better velocity and balance. I'd never go back to the GG. wink

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
compromise is a beaatch

but we all make them depending upon our circumstances.

I agree with all of the above comments, except these two, I prefer a glove when shooting my GG, the right glove gives a little better purchase and I like the small amount of cushion it gives before I get slammed, plus odds are I'm liable to have the same glove or similar on if I have to employ my GG, it's my boat and snowmachine rifle and I use the Chilly Grip type gloves (varying insulation and thickness for the season at use) good system for me personally. YMMV

and the statement "never go back to my GG" I don't plan on ever leaving mine, at least till I find something better. yep the strght grip give a slight advantage to pointability, it has a shorter barrel all leading to quick and handy, things I need when dropping the wheel of the boat or slamming the brake on the sled and yanking it outa the scabbard (ain't looking for another 4 inches there) it's an opportunity rifle and normally a fleeting opportunity. Otherwise it's a defensive weapon and the aformentioned qualities lend itself to those desired capabilities mentioned above, it's kind of my Alaskan handgun.

but I've always liked levers, a .30-.30 trapper is close at hand right now, it'd suffice to dispatch a rouge moose in the yard after my dogs (mainly cow with calves in summer, never had to use it, but glad to have it handy) or it's a pretty good prowler discourager as well.

yep it has its faults and a sore middle finger is one of the most bothersome, but it's a compromise I'm willing to live with on range occassion to give me all the other qualities or features i'm looking for in a knockabout rifle in this country.

though I would love virgil to send me his setup for a month or two, I see possibilities there, still the straight grip serves a purpose as well. at least for me it does.

if I didn't ramble in bear country so much, I'd probably choose a different rifle, maybe, I can like a big bullet traveling at a moderate speed (think 1911 .45) in a handy package, so I really like my GG in 45/70 sore finger and all. (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
The only way I've ever pinched my fingers on my Marlins (or winchesters) is between the trigger and the lever when cycling. One thing I like about my Browning BLR is that the trigger travels with the lever. I've had straight stock Marlins/Winnies and the curved grips also but all I have now is a straight stocked 45-70 made in 78 before the GG and have never experienced what is being described here.

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, There's still time to change the road you're on. Member GCO & NRA.... Hirschj�ger
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only get "it" shooting hot loads outa my GG Hirschjager.

original 45/70 loads never a problem, and it's not a pinch we're talking about, it's just recoil of the lever hitting the middle finger shooting hot loads

I've got a conventional lever on my original GG that WWG tricked out and parkerized, but I have another in SS with the big loop, I hear it alleviates this issue somewhat, but I haven't shot it to find out.

still a work in progress, want to sand the stock and spray bedliner on it and replace the sights before I start shooting that one.

btw welcome, you've lit where there's some good folks and some of em are smart too! (just not this one, grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had that problem when shooting hot loads through my 1895CB...also I have chubby fingers. Got a Wild West loop lever and the problem is solved. Looks kinda neat too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I installed the DRC large loop levers on my straight group larger calibers 38-55 & 45-70. The larger opening and more rounded shape make them much more comfortable to shoot. The old standard pistol grip 1895 is fine as is.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have large hands and had that problem too with my GG. I installed a DRC large loop lever and it solved the problem for me.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I bought the GG especially with the idea of taking it after elk in the black timber because of it's handiness and I would like to take at least one moose with it and shooting the milder loads is just plain fun; it bought the straight grip model because I like the way it looks, and yes, with "big" loads it's a tenderizer that thinks my middle finger is a piece if steak.

I'm going to try Wild West bigger lever and see how that works; it's much better for a gloved hand anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a WWG big loop lever on my recently sold 1895 and liked it but next time I will try the DRC lever as it looks to be a better fit (a bit bigger than stock without being overly large) than the WWG model, for me anyway... I may try this idea out on a soon to have 336 to see how that works...

Be safe
Patty

I have an advantage of having medium to small fingers, but I also wear weight-lifting gloves at the range. (the kind that have exposed fingers and wrap around the wrist. $ 15.00 dollars at any health club)

I have had my GG bite me once or twice, so I know what it feels like. Another thing that i conciously do, is pull the gun snug into my shoulder using my fingers on that stock lever. This seams to keep the lever from slamming into my fingers upon recoil. I realize that for some of you with larger hands, this won't help, but for others, it just might.

I have heard from most posters on this board, marlinlovers and levergunlovers, that custom levers seem to solve the problem.

Regards,

Autumn Pulse

"Be a Straight-Shooter in ALL that you do."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Autumn_Pulse
I have had my GG bite me once or twice, so I know what it feels like. Another thing that i conciously do, is pull the gun snug into my shoulder using my fingers on that stock lever. This seams to keep the lever from slamming into my fingers upon recoil. I realize that for some of you with larger hands, this won't help, but for others, it just might.

I personally have large hands, but I do the same thing (conciously pull the rifle into my shoulder with that hand) - seems to minimize/eliminate the finger bruising.

As someone else mentioned, the GG is built to fill a need - quick handling, fast pointing - I love it and wouldn't trade it for the "regular" version. I have an XS peep sight on mine - very accurate when taking time to aim, but also very quick to get on target.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cycling that lever comes naturally by "opening" the hand and pushing with the three support fingers. The index finger straightes with these. That is so far straight physiology in that it is difficult to work three fingers and keeping the index bent. Try it.
On behalf of the golden rule of gun safety (KEEP your finger OFF the trigger until sights are on target), here to be applied on your second shot, being , it is vital to keep that finger straight.

Be it a Marlin or a Browning. Keep the index finger straight as nature tells you too and there is NO way of pinching that finger.
Also, no way to disregard Rule 3 and end up in a potentially dangerous situation.

If you pinch your finger between trigger and lever you are simply making a handling mistake.

As towards smashing the middle finger against the lever on straight stock models with heavy loads, I can only say this.

My standart lead load in 45-70 is 440 gr. FN out of a Mountain Molds Custom at 1700 fps (chronographed) out of the 18,5" Guide Gun barrel.
For work I use 400 gr. GS Custom FN at 1750 fps.
I have never been mistreated by my rifles shooting these loads.

It boils down to gun handling.

I prefer the straight stock, handle and shoot my rifles regularly and have never had any trouble.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I wish Marlin would either re-design the lever to correct this problem or make a loop lever an option for thier rifles. The lever on a pistol gripped rifle still is a pain to use with gloves on! I put a DRC on mine and it was the best investment I made..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have large hands so I replaced the lever on my 1895 XLR with a DRC lever also.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.