Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My bro has a 308 blue/syn BIG BOAR/Bore 19" bbl, shot one tight group with WW 150 grain XP3 or whatever, looks like a moly coated ballistic tip, looked to be just under an inch at 100yds.

At 200 yds, it seemed very inconsistent.

Are you Tikka owners shooting them out the box? Seems like the bbl is floated back to about 4-6" in front of chamber.

168 amax loads, Black Hills I believe did better.

Does he need to try better factory ammo? Float bbl completely? What should he expect at 200 yds with factory ammo?

Using a 2.5-8x MR/T tactical, mil dot, a new scope, SHOULD be holding zero okay.

Trying to ascertain what are his realistic accuracy expectations at 200 yds, out the box?

Thanks for any info, esp. input on better accurate factory hunting ammo.

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have one in SS 308 with the 22" barrel. It shoots both FEderal cheapo walmart 150 grainers and Hornady 165 grain ammo into the same group at 200 yards. My best group at 200 so far is 1" and that was all with factory ammo . Kahles KX 3-9x42 in Talley lightweight rings. My barrel is not free floated all the way either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The one I bought for my brother last Christmas shot everything (and I mean like 8 different factory loads) into 1.5" or less, with several inside 0.75". Look for a different load. I seem to recall his particularly liked the Federal 165gr. Accubond load.

Rich

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have had good luck with my 2 Tikka's. Just a guess, but if your brother is used to shooting a heavier rifle he may just need a little time to get used to the lightweight 19" barreled Tikka. The fact that he is getting good groups at 100 lead me to think the gun is capable.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a few T3's and they all loved the federal powershok cheapie stuff. The .308 would shoot the 180gr load under an inch all day...

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JMR, I SUSPECTED he might have been fatigued after shooting that lite 308 and also a few shots with his MRC 270 WSM.

Sounds like Fed ammo getting the nod here, I'll pass on all these threads to him and appreciate the help as I am 308 knowledge/experience poor!

His first shot, he did not have one bolted in and he clicked the rifle w/o any flinch, later shot decent group with my 6BR at 200, 5 in around an inch so I think his shooting was alright but the thought crossed my mind......and I was about to shoot a group myself just to see.

Lastly, does that moly looking coating on that nickel plated WW ammo foul the bbl any worse does anyone know? His tight group was right after he cleaned the bbl, but he did only shoot maybe another dozen rounds or so, seems like it would have been ok...but...wondered about that coating.

Thanks all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my fellow 6.5 junkie...

Load up some Lapua brass, with Federal 210 Match sparkplugs, and 45 grains of Varget, under a 168 Sierra MK at 2.810 OAL. If it won't shoot the low run-out stuff under 1 1/2" at 200 yards on a calm day (and your paying attention to your windflags anyways) then there's something wrong in the system somewhere smile

That load in most of my rifles is around 1/2 to 3/4" at 100. Something about the MKs makes them usually shoot a tighter MOA group at FARTHER yardages for me in my 308's.

I've got a WBY SUBMOA in 308 (bull barreled one) that shoots that load into an inch at 100 all day long, and at 200 yards, it shoots that load into an inch all day long, and at 300 yards, it shoots that load into 2" all day long. I'm talking 5 round groups here, not 3... In fact, that rifle shoots that load so well, I let my rebarreled 700 PSS move to a friends house smile

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dan is giving it to you straight. Also for a hunting version just swap in the 165 Sierra GK BTHP. In some rifles it's even more accurate than the MK because the hollow point GK has a fatter ogive that in effect shortens a long factory throat.

If you have RP or WW brass bump the charge to 46 grains and go to town.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
looked to be just under an inch at 100yds.

At 200 yds, it seemed very inconsistent.

I have found this occuring in all brands of rifles, it is not the rifle. You have to actually test various loads at distance to get a good one.
Several different 1"@ 100 yard loads will only have a few that will actually hold to 2" groups @200 yards.

For this very reason, after I get my scope on at 100 yards, I do all load testing at 200 yards.

If he buys several different brands of ammo, he will eventually find a great long range load.
I would try Federal fusion, Hornady custom, Federal premium.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys, will pass this on, my brother once loaded his own, but never learned properly, nor wanted to listen then, had some Lyman equipment.....

Advised before he spent more $$$ on custom gun, etc. to buy quality first rate load equip. from Redding/RCBS and build some good loads. Factory ammo costs will keep one from shooting as much as they should to really learn what their rifle is doing.

Seems conceivable that someone might actually pay for the loading equipment with money that would have been spent trialing many factory ammo.

Thanks again.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

Seems like the bbl is floated back to about 4-6" in front of chamber.

Trying to ascertain what are his realistic accuracy expectations at 200 yds, out the box?

All my Tikka's are floated to the shank from the factory. Loosen and re-torque the action screws to 45 inch pounds and see if that helps.

You can also adjust the trigger as light as it will go. Don't worry, you can only go SO far. (which gets you about 2-3/4lbs.)

Sorry, I can't help with the factory ammo question, but all mine shoot 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at 200yds. with handloads.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Yukonal, I actually suggested on the way home to check the screws, why it did not occur to me at the range....if he gets your accuracy, he will be happy. Already asking about barrel brands....going in the wrong direction prematurely IMHO. Emotion w/o wisdom, not a good formula for success so I thank you guys who know Tikkas and 308 to help get him happy sooner than later, and less costly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Even if he handloads, there will still be the issue of picking a load that actually groups well at 200 yards, rather than hoping a good 100 yard load will still hold MOA at 200.

My Tikka T3 lite is in contact with the stock for the last few inches near the receiver. I started to float it, but noticed some evidence that the inside of stock had actually been hand fitted, so I left it alone.

It is a 300 WSM and has shot several 5 shot groups of 2 1/2" or less @ 300 yards with factory Federal premium 165 TSX.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A lot of folks that handload are concerned more with the recipe than the execution. By that I mean loading straight cartridges. Getting that under control solves many problems.

If a guy can put together loaded rounds with .002" or less runout using the recipe Dan and I mentioned then the load part should be taken care of. If the wind doesn't kick up a capable shooter/rifle combination can wear out a 2" target at 300 yards using that load.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not totally true, but generally not necessary for most to do - if you unscrew the trigger assembly bolt, file the top of that small bolt down a bit, you can then adjust the trigger pull even more. I do this for load development and then up the trigger pull weight a bit prior to proofing for hunting purposes.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Did someone mention the rings? (I might have missed it.) My Tikka gave me fits for awhile. I was using the factory rings. When I switched to the Talleys I ordered from the shop here, the problems went away.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ahh, you reminded me. I mounted a scope on a 300 mag Tikka for a fellow and the rings looked like they were that crap Millet puts out. There were problems getting them to hang onto the 17 oz. Zeiss Conquest scope. Circumstances prevented me from getting anything better on there in time, but I told the guy to replace them at the first opportunity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.