Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
They are not a drop in are they? (does the stock need to be milled more?)
Do they work with the factory spring and follower?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With a model 70 the area behind the mag box needs to be machined, the floorplate altered and the stock altered. The box will transform a classic action that feeds well into a POS that wont. YMMV

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I guess I should've specified what gun, its a Rem 700 ADL.
Is this true it will make one feed like crap?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have an extended Wyatts magazine in a Alpine mag action that feeds 7WSM cases very well,and I use the factory spring and follower!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to remove the little bump that holds the ADL center screw hole from the rear of the mag slot in the action. The stock will usually fit fine, and the factory follower will also work. I have three in 700s, including a .257 AI, and all feed perfectly.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tom,

Mine works perfect.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
all of my M700 short actions have a wyatts box. They work the same as the stock box.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tom264
They are not a drop in are they? (does the stock need to be milled more?)
Do they work with the factory spring and follower?

Tom -

I turned a 700 LVSF (adl) .22-250 into a .257 Roberts. Wyatts is just up the road from me about 15 minutes. In addition to the mag box, he also installed the Lilja barrel for me.

No, they're not drop in. The extended versions require milling of the bottom of the action. Essentially, the front of the box stays put but the rear extends backwards nearer the trigger housing so you have to have the "lip" where the sheet metal stops under the action opened up to the rear. On my gun it basically barely cut into the middle action screw hole.

The stock has to be opened up some between the back of the existing mag box and the front of the trigger housing to make room for the new box.

With mine being an ADL and the sheet metal being BDL, thus shorter top to bottom, I had some issues initially with the sheet metal sliding down into the magazine well, then the bolt sliding over the top of the case rims instead of picking up a shell from the mag on the way by. I fixed this by acra-glassing the magazine box to the bottom of the action. smile I have not had a hint of trouble since.

Factory spring and follower ... yes. I'm still using the factory spring and follower. Once I 'glued' the mag box to the action so it wouldn't slide down, I've had no problems with the follower being shorter than the magazine box, no issues with feeding at all.

For what it's worth, I can't quite get a 3.00" shell to fit in the magazine but at 2.97" they feed fine.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Tim in TN,did have a long action follower machined down to fit his Wyatts short action magazine,I believe he said it didn't really work any better but that he liked how it looked smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hmmm ... interesting approach. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Hmmm ... unlike milling the bottom of the action, that changes the distance between the front and rear action screws. Do you recall whether he had any problems finding a stock to fit since that'd make it neither short nor long action?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A LA follower was milled to fit the Wyatt box, nothing to do with the action.

It did look real purdy. I have 2 left as I had 3 done.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I still have room under the tree grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear ya, maybe one day a swap meet is on order.

Merry Christmas by the way!!!

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year to you and yours!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't forget you have to take the bolt stop out and cut it back as well. if not the bolt won't go back far enough to make use of the longer mag box.
a little grinding works just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the purpose of this thread should be for people to understand that on many cases they should be using long actions, 6.5/284s and anything on a x57 case should be built on a long action, it kinda goes along with the detachable magazine thread I started, we don't have tactical matches around here is must be a back east thing or something

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cowboy,
I have a 284 win that is built on a Winchester SA - which is really a medium action, I guess - and it works just fine. I think based on my experience that a 2.97" COL would be just dandy for a x57 or 284 based cartridge. And quick answer this post to change your post count!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
With a model 70 the area behind the mag box needs to be machined, the floorplate altered and the stock altered. The box will transform a classic action that feeds well into a POS that wont. YMMV
LMAO... Yeah, Ben, we had a little issue with that, didn't we??

In any case, you beat me to it... I've had nothing but grief when dealing with Wyatts boxes and refuse to use them for any build.. Maybe they work ok for M700 actions but my experience to date has been only with M70s.. It's just not worth the money and hassle to try to install 'em and get the miserable thing to feed right.. With all the machining etc., it's easy to invest a C-note + into a project that may be like opening Pandorra's box..

Just my .02..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I feel the same way as Redneck, they are a POS.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm ultra mag and was thinking of putting in a Wyatts extended mag box. The gun is a stainless action in the factor tupperware stock.

I just aquired it and havent even started on load development. Figured I'd go with the longer mag box before I spend time and money building loads.

Planning on going with a 160gr Accubond and thought I'd need the length of the longer box.

Seems to me that people arent really that happy with them.

Maybe I'll just suck it up and build some shorter loads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.